Heavy Metal (The Movie)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I recently picked this up on BD and yesterday, to indulge the old man on Father's Day, my wife and daughter sat down to watch it with me. I can't remember the last time I saw it, but it's been at least 30 years. I had forgotten how juvenile and retrograde it was with it's portrayal of women, but they managed to watch the whole thing. Cringey parts aside, I still enjoyed it - especially for the soundtrack.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I recently picked this up on BD and yesterday, to indulge the old man on Father's Day, my wife and daughter sat down to watch it with me. I can't remember the last time I saw it, but it's been at least 30 years. I had forgotten how juvenile and retrograde it was with it's portrayal of women, but they managed to watch the whole thing. Cringey parts aside, I still enjoyed it - especially for the soundtrack.
I didn't recall that it was Canadian until I looked it up now. Been over 30 years for me too. :D Did you know that a Spinal Tap sequel was in the works? (early 80's as well)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't recall that it was Canadian until I looked it up now. Been over 30 years for me too. :D Did you know that a Spinal Tap sequel was in the works? (early 80's as well)
Yeah, I knew it was a Canadian movie - with no Canadian contributions to the soundtrack. :D

A new Spinal Tap? With original cast members?:D I don't know how they could improve on the original.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A movie that was recently released that looks Heavy Metal-esque is "The Spine of Night." I haven't seen it yet but intend to, it looks very cool.

Per Heavy Metal's archaic view of women, that isn't any surprise for readers of the magazine at the time, which was a lot of fantasy art that was mostly just male fantasy art inspired by the likes of guys like Boris Vallejo and Frank Fazetta. And if you think that is politically incorrect, you should check out the Gor fantasy world which largely revolves around the sexual enslavement of women. That is really messed up.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The first one is a classic. The second one is disappointing. I may end up picking the 4K BD set which recently just came out, despite the semi-juvenile attitude of the films. The music was a big part too.

Redline, mentioned by BSA, was pretty good.

If you want another fun animated rock film from that era check out Rock and Rule. That is one of my favorite animated films. Features: Cheap Trick, Debbie Harry, Iggy Pop, many great original songs.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Love, Death and Robots on Netflix. Some excellent shorts in every season. A few duds, but the good ones more than make up for them.

lol Fritz the Cat I think I saw in the theater at a Spike and Mike festival.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Love, Death and Robots on Netflix. Some excellent shorts in every season. A few duds, but the good ones more than make up for them.

lol Fritz the Cat I think I saw in the theater at a Spike and Mike festival.
I watched all of the episodes before my Netflix subscription ran out. Some great animation there covering a variety of styles and content.

Fritz the Cat is on Youtube hidden as a series of 5 minute clips. Talk about retro. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What a coincidence I picked up the two record soundtrack set last week at my Thrift store for $1. Cover was not great, but the vinyl is mint. Never saw the movie. Will seek it out now. Odd to see new wave band Devo on there. Haven't played it yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That show was weird. The movie was decent from what I remember.
Was going to pop my dvd in, but haven't yet, and see what I think now....but used to think of them in somewhat the same vein.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Was going to pop my dvd in, but haven't yet, and see what I think now....but used to think of them in somewhat the same vein.
I liked the show. Not entirely sure what the point was though lol.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I had to look it up and view the beginning clip. I would have to wear ear plugs. lol Now, for family viewing, how about "Gone with the Wind?" Some classics, for example...:cool: Am I old?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Another nostalgic, obscure 80s anime/music film is Robot Carnival. It was touted as a Japanese Fantasia. It is very of the period, but features some of the greatest animators of the era. There are two really excellent shorts on there: Cloud is my favorite and Presence is also insanely good. They are all pretty entertaining. A 4K remaster was recently released and is actually pretty awesome, including a documentary with a lot of archive pics, footage and details. It is on a free service with commercials on Amazon.

Cloud is a sort of art house take on Pinocchio:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Another nostalgic, obscure 80s anime/music film is Robot Carnival. It was touted as a Japanese Fantasia. It is very of the period, but features some of the greatest animators of the era. There are two really excellent shorts on there: Cloud is my favorite and Presence is also insanely good. They are all pretty entertaining. A 4K remaster was recently released and is actually pretty awesome, including a documentary with a lot of archive pics, footage and details. It is on a free service with commercials on Amazon.

Cloud is a sort of art house take on Pinocchio:

Studio 4C has done some really cool animated shorts as well. They're the Pixar of the anime world. :) Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond has some very interesting pieces and I love Noiseman Sound Insect as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Studio 4C has done some really cool animated shorts as well. They're the Pixar of the anime world. :) Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond has some very interesting pieces and I love Noiseman Sound Insect as well.
I've seen some of their stuff too and I liked it.

There is also Animatrix. Included with the the box sets, including the 4K set (though it is still 1080p, not remastered) they are animated shorts related to the first three Matrix films. Not sure which services this might be available on now. *Edit - looks like all the individual clips are available on Youtube. A couple of them were done by the people who did Aeon Flux.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Heavy Metal was early 80s.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’d like to think watching movies like this over and over again warped my fragile young mind. But, I know in my heart, the damage was already done.:p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis