Heaviest vintage audio & video technology?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ll start it out with some examples
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/the-biggest-crt-televisions
These and projector TVs were very impressive looking with there tall towering screens !! But the weight and thickness of the tv made them join the dodo bird ! Extinct

Altec horns , and affordable klipsch horns are gone now only a costly fortune of a legacy model sold by klipsch.
Certainly audio never goes extinct but these designs are almost non existent today , except on high expensive speakers
Something I cannot dream of affording for a long long while holy grail of horns ....
https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn
I don’t know enough about old audio so show examples of actual extinct audio if klipsch horn still commonly made . It’s hardly a consumer priced product!!
I’ll disregard prices as it’s not relevant for this topic !!

Your favorite vintage gear ? That was super heavy ??
Audio or video ..

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I guess no one has any vintage gear they would like to share haha ?

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Old style hdtv the dinosaur
child

Free the reptile aliens

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I worked rent-to-own just before the turn of the century, and Superb Owl weekend (intentional pun) was the worst. Everybody and their brother wanted a giant-ass tv just to watch the game. We rented out every set we had by close of business Saturday, and most of them had to be picked back up the following week.

One delivery that was bad enough to remember was a big boxy RCA similar in size to your pictures, going into a singlewide trailer, with cinderblock steps, using an appliance dolly.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Lest we forget...
Panasonic made a 152" plasma display that any consumer could buy. They just needed a floor which could support it and a subpanel with enough wattage to drive this beast...
https://www.panasonic.com/in/business/display-panels/4k2k-plasma-display/th-152ux1w.specs.html

1,200+ pounds.

Oh, and for those intrigued by such a ridiculous display, the 103" model is currently on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/103-Panasonic-Plasma-Tv-Th-103pf12u/173383583640?hash=item285e778798:g:IrYAAOSwpe1bND3R

It comes in just under 500 pounds! It was $50,000 new, so at $3,000 it's quite the deal. Maybe a fun buy for someone in the New York area.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Lest we forget...
Panasonic made a 152" plasma display that any consumer could buy. They just needed a floor which could support it and a subpanel with enough wattage to drive this beast...
https://www.panasonic.com/in/business/display-panels/4k2k-plasma-display/th-152ux1w.specs.html

1,200+ pounds.

Oh, and for those intrigued by such a ridiculous display, the 103" model is currently on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/103-Panasonic-Plasma-Tv-Th-103pf12u/173383583640?hash=item285e778798:g:IrYAAOSwpe1bND3R

It comes in just under 500 pounds! It was $50,000 new, so at $3,000 it's quite the deal. Maybe a fun buy for someone in the New York area.
Wow .... those are some seriously massive heavyweight flatscreens. Shame plasma died of sars amazing picture!!
Projector tv sure lasted a long time they averaged what 300 pounds or more ?
A 40” crt Sony was 338 + pounds and a hdtv . Sony wega I saw it for free but I don’t have a hand crane or a bobcat so it was a pass....
A 100” 8k oled probably cost 100k+

Free the reptile aliens

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is an interesting topic for some vintage (and not so vintage) stuff.

For years, I had a 140 pound, Electrohome Marquee 8000 3-gun CRT projector hanging from my 8' ceiling in my family room...
http://www.curtpalme.com/ElectrohomeMarquee_Downloads.shtm

This best fired up onto a 106" diagonal manual projection screen. It was my introduction to front projection and I fell in love with it. I ended up replacing it with a 5 pound nothing of a projector which was both brighter and sharper overall, even if the black levels weren't as good.

The good old days? Maybe.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I remember the old 7 series pioneer elite RPs and the annual ISF certification lol.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The vintage Infinity IRS V speaker system consisted of 4 towers and weighed around 1500 pounds or so. That said my parents had a 39 inch crt tv in the 90s and that sucker was heavy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My Monolith 7 weighs over 90 lbs, but I guess that's not quite vintage...

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
And if you want a really heavy item in your crib get a huge aquarium. About 10 pounds per gallon.:)

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
And if you want a really heavy item in your crib get a huge aquarium. About 10 pounds per gallon.:)
Water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon. One of the first things we learned in plumbing school. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon. One of the first things we learned in plumbing school. Just thought I would throw that out there.
By the time you account for everything else that goes into an aquarium, it's closer to 10 lbs/gallon of the tank size, not the water. So if you had a 40 gallon tank, you would estimate that the whole thing when setup would weigh about 400 lbs. (tank, stand, water, filters, decorations, lights, etc.)

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
By the time you account for everything else that goes into an aquarium, it's closer to 10 lbs/gallon of the tank size, not the water. So if you had a 40 gallon tank, you would estimate that the whole thing when setup would weigh about 400 lbs. (tank, stand, water, filters, decorations, lights, etc.)
How well do they play DVDs?

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
I came across a little pretentious, I spend so much time reading and trying to absorb the information here, I got excited when I had knowledge to contribute. So to keep in that vein, water also exerts .433 lbs per foot of head pressure, regardless of volume. I do enjoy this place, my apologies for the self righteous spewing of water facts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Fo sho! I have a 75gal. It’s heavy AF.

You guys want vintage heavy, how ‘bout some Black Sabbath?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The vintage Infinity IRS V speaker system consisted of 4 towers and weighed around 1500 pounds or so. That said my parents had a 39 inch crt tv in the 90s and that sucker was heavy.
Wow 1500 pounds just 4 speakers ??
anything pre 2010 could be vintage at the rate technology is increasing.
What was the largest dlp this must be close???

Woah 39” probably weighed 300-350 pounds.
Look at this monstrosity

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I have a 20 gallon long with a tarantula in it and about 100+ pounds of top soil in it . The previous spider died of a tumor so I added new dirt . I cannot move it probably 150 pounds or more .
It’s 6/8 or 3/4 full of top soil !

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Look how heavy
massive this little stocky looks .
I have a 20 gallon long with a tarantula in it and about 100+ pounds of top soil in it . The previous spider died of a tumor so I added new dirt . I cannot move it probably 150 pounds or more .

Free the reptile aliens
https://www.foxnews.com/story/cathode-ray-tube-tv-format-dying-slow-quiet-death

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis