Heating drivers . . . . . . . . . . . . ???????

K

KIRKLIN1

Audiophyte
Good day:

I came across an unusual (to me anyway) practice for regenerating speakers that sat for a while (months/years). I read how someone heated their speaker cone (CAREFULLy) and "massaged" the cone, "gently pressing in the woofer slowly until it stopped - 2 two 3 times." Apparently, ferrofluid (not sure if I'm using the correct term - so pardon me) can settle in speakers and heating the driver slowly and compressing it gently revitalizes the cone - restoring intended playback characteristics.

I've never heard of this practice.

1. Have you heard of this
2. Is it practiced?
3. Would, or does it actually make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nope. Never heard of this.
If you had a speaker that sat idle for any amount of time... you probably aren't an audio-(*gulps)-phile! :p
Ferrofluid is not an element used in every driver, either.
To me, if you have a concern about your speakers needing a "warm up session" then you should just turn on your system at about -40, let it play for 20 min, then turn it up to -20 and repeat... and then you would be fine.

But massaging your speaker cone? Gently pumping it like you're awkwardly feeling up your first girlfriend?
:oops: :rolleyes: ;)

To be fair, Ferrofluid can dry out with age, but this practice won't "revitalize" it to the best of my knowledge, as it's not a function of it "setting up" from lack of use.

I'd love to hear what others have to say, but...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis