Heathkit AA-1214 Amplifier

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I somewhat assumed the amp was capable of both, but didn't dig into it. I just would not look to these cheap brands as a solution for much of anything in general....
The equipment working with a 70 volt line is far from the Hi-Fi stuff that we use in our home audio systems. It's actually closer to the performance of AM radio.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The equipment working with a 70 volt line is far from the Hi-Fi stuff that we use in our home audio systems. It's actually closer to the performance of AM radio.
Well I don't think a 70V system is necesarily THAT limited....but is more useful for speakers/setup that is in line with that sort of use. I was more speaking of amps that can work with 70V systems or regular passive speakers with a setting (I have one)

N

Nichrobe33789

Enthusiast
The situation is not that simple. If you use a 70 volt amplifier, your speakers wont work with it. You will have to get commercial speakers that work on a 70 volt line.

I suggest that you verify in a pro audio shop for a proper recommendation relating to your needs.
So I went up and checked them out these are the speakers out front and it looks like they have different adjustments and they can work on a 70v line and the second picture is how they are hoked into the the amp it looks like all the wires are run to the amp twisted together and screwed into the amp.
The situation is not that simple. If you use a 70 volt amplifier, your speakers wont work with it. You will have to get commercial speakers that work on a 70 volt line.

I suggest that you verify in a pro audio shop for a proper recommendation relating to your needs.
So I went and checked to out it looks like the speakers have adjustments to work on a 70v line and it looks like all the speaker wires are twisted together and screwed into the heathkit.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.03.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.05.27 PM.png

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

He's not using 70V and it's not necessary in a small place. That's only for when a lot of speakers are needed and the cable runs are exceptionally long. It is pretty simple, actually.

highfigh

highfigh

frl? well what would you recommend we need something that can handle 5 speakers has bluetooth and has multi zones so I can control the frond and back separately. I have no idea what brands are poop and which are decent im pretty new to this stuff
How large is the place? Can you post a floor plan and show where the speakers will be needed?

You don't need anything 'high end'- I have used some equipment in bars, fitness facilities and other installations that wasn't impressive in any way and A) it has lasted a long time, B) has worked very well and C) kept the cost low, so the place wouldn't need to scrimp in other areas.

Find out how much they can spend and make sure they understand that this doesn't need to cost $10K for a small system. It just doesn't need to be amazing, regardless of what anyone thinks because it's for background, not front of house (FOH- the term used for performance audio where people are in organized seating that faces a stage or podium with the speakers placed to reinforce the sound from that area and covering a specific area).

Here's a way to do this and the equipment isn't terribly expensive:

-Dayton multi-channel amplifier- call Parts Express to find out if they still have the smaller version

-ART Head Amp or Mackie headphone level controller- this allows level control over four separate stereo zones (you'll need some cheap 1/4"-RCA stereo cables) -

-Miccus Bluetooth receiver (this is the best I have seen or used- the range is incredible)

-mixer (this is the one I have used- they have one for $99 that should work but I like this one because the graphics are on the front, so it's easy to see)

That amplifier is more powerful per channel than the Heathkit and can be set up to produce even more, if the place might be considering adding speakers, using higher quality speakers and/or adding outdoor speakers.

All of this equipment could be bought for less than $900 if you shop around- DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH THE PYLE NAME!

highfigh

highfigh

I somewhat assumed the amp was capable of both, but didn't dig into it. I just would not look to these cheap brands as a solution for much of anything in general....
It's not a 70V amp- check the Reverb.com link I posted (it has the specs)

highfigh

highfigh

Are you thinking of paging speakers that are like the PA horn on a small boat? The modern 70V audio systems are nothing like that.

You really should look at amplifiers from Crown, QSC, etc- they can be used with low impedance speakers (the usual loads) and 70V. Some have a DSP for EQ, phase control, compression/limiting, stereo/mono, etc and professional speakers from JBL, QSC, Atlas and many other brands will preform far better than you're assuming. It's NOT like the sound from AM radio- that tops out at about 5KHz and pro audio is full range. Find a Sonance dealer and see if they have the Sonarray system set up- other brands have similar systems and it DOES NOT sound anything like AM radio.

N

Nichrobe33789

Enthusiast
Are you thinking of paging speakers that are like the PA horn on a small boat? The modern 70V audio systems are nothing like that.

You really should look at amplifiers from Crown, QSC, etc- they can be used with low impedance speakers (the usual loads) and 70V. Some have a DSP for EQ, phase control, compression/limiting, stereo/mono, etc and professional speakers from JBL, QSC, Atlas and many other brands will preform far better than you're assuming. It's NOT like the sound from AM radio- that tops out at about 5KHz and pro audio is full range. Find a Sonance dealer and see if they have the Sonarray system set up- other brands have similar systems and it DOES NOT sound anything like AM radio.

The thing is I am paying for this with my own money and I don't even know if I'm going to be reimbursed so I really don't want to spend more than 200 on the amp. So I think im going to get a 70v multi zone amp with built in bluetooth, connect the three 70v speakers to zone 1 and get two 70v speakers for the back then if she ever wants to put speakers on the deck I could just put two out there and put them on zone three.

highfigh

highfigh

The thing is I am paying for this with my own money and I don't even know if I'm going to be reimbursed so I really don't want to spend more than 200 on the amp. So I think im going to get a 70v multi zone amp with built in bluetooth, connect the three 70v speakers to zone 1 and get two 70v speakers for the back then if she ever wants to put speakers on the deck I could just put two out there and put them on zone three.
Is it your place that needs this equipment? You should find out if you're being reimbursed.

Where are you located?

If you do use a 70V amplifier, you need to make sure that the speaker power settings add up to 80% of the amplifier's output power- if you set them at 100% or more, the amplifier won't last long.

Here's an article form Parts Express-

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You sure those Bose speakers can run on a 70V setup? I looked around a bit, didn't see much on those speakers and nothing that led me that way....

N

Nichrobe33789

Enthusiast
Is it your place that needs this equipment? You should find out if you're being reimbursed.

Where are you located?

If you do use a 70V amplifier, you need to make sure that the speaker power settings add up to 80% of the amplifier's output power- if you set them at 100% or more, the amplifier won't last long.

Here's an article form Parts Express-

yeah each zone tops out at 100w so im gonna parallel wire them and set the wattage to 16 (the highest it goes) on all three. No this is not my business and Im sure she will try to reimburse me but its fine if not. And we are located in Northeast Maryland

N

Nichrobe33789

Enthusiast
You sure those Bose speakers can run on a 70V setup? I looked around a bit, didn't see much on those speakers and nothing that led me that way....
Yeah they can run on a 70 or 100v setup and have different tap settings on the front. They're the Bose Model 16 FreeSpace Loudspeaker.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah they can run on a 70 or 100v setup and have different tap settings on the front. They're the Bose Model 16 FreeSpace Loudspeaker.
Ah, didn't see such under the Redline description you mentioned. Good luck, you just like audio so much in your work place that you'll add your own audio whether or not compensated (let alone legal)....

N

Nichrobe33789

Enthusiast
Ah, didn't see such under the Redline description you mentioned. Good luck, you just like audio so much in your work place that you'll add your own audio whether or not compensated (let alone legal)....
Lmao yeah I did not know what I was talking about when I was thinking of putting those speakers in. Is it really illegal to install an audio system by myself??? :oops: I guess nobody has to know lol. But we'll see how it works out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lmao yeah I did not know what I was talking about when I was thinking of putting those speakers in. Is it really illegal to install an audio system by myself??? :oops: I guess nobody has to know lol. But we'll see how it works out.
Not the system itself but the content played over it crosses certain legal lines....had a friend who sold for the old Muzak stuff who would harass commercial use over rights.....

N

Nichrobe33789

Enthusiast
Not the system itself but the content played over it crosses certain legal lines....had a friend who sold for the old Muzak stuff who would harass commercial use over rights.....
well damn

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah all depends what content you might do....and the anal types who enforce regulation? If well setup with my own content I'd not worry too much, but then I wouldn't just provide audio for an owner who didn't pay for everything and take all responsibility....that's just bullshit

N

Nichrobe33789

Enthusiast
Yeah all depends what content you might do....and the anal types who enforce regulation? If well setup with my own content I'd not worry too much, but then I wouldn't just provide audio for an owner who didn't pay for everything and take all responsibility....that's just bullshit
are you saying it depends on the music we play? cuz se usually just plays sirus XM the blend unless she's on delivery ill play my playlist.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But I do admire your goal of adding to the audio experience of the customers....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
are you saying it depends on the music we play? cuz se usually just plays sirus XM the blend unless she's on delivery ill play my playlist.
I'm saying you have a bit of exposure to legalities, whether that will ever come into play, have no idea of where you are or what your implementation is.....if you think its a significant business aspect I'd certainly investigate for the time frames you're thinking about

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis