Healp with a set up!

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
Good afternoon! I'm from Brazil and will be traveling to the USA in January. Since there aren't many options here, I want to take advantage of the trip to set up a home theater for my house. As I'm in the military, I move frequently, so I have an issue determining the size of the room. Currently, my living room is about 6m x 9m, and the distance from the TV to my spot on the couch is approximately 2 meters.

My budget is tight, but I'm considering spending around $1000. After researching online and reading various posts and reviews, I thought about starting with a 5.1 configuration with the possibility of future expansion:

1 x Pioneer VSX-LX305 Elite 9.2 Channel 4 x Dayton Audio MK442 Speaker 1 x Dayton Audio MK442 Central 1 x Dayton Audio SUB-1200

Any advice? Is this a good set to start with? Since I live in Brazil, making future upgrades in the short term is very difficult due to limited options here and the extremely high prices. That's why I would like to start with a 5.1 system. I apologize if I'm saying anything silly because I'm new to sound systems and looking to dive into this world.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since the warranty would no longer be an option, I'd probably go with the Denon or Yamaha receiver, even if you'd have to buy a few-year-old model.
Dayton SUB-1200 is great value.
But the rest of your speaker choices are average in performance. I think Monolith by Monoprice Audition could be better value than Dayton speakers for a very tight budget. Compared to the MK442 speaker, Monoprice offers a significantly higher Dynamic range.

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
Thank you for your response! The problem is that I will bring speakers in suitcases and the subwoofer in a box on the plane, so it would be very expensive to bring very large speakers, and the Monoprice Monolith Audition T5 is hard to bring on a plane. The prices I found (all items new):

1 x Pioneer VSX-LX305 Elite 9.2 Channel $699
4 x Dayton Audio MK442 Speaker $220 (for all 4)
1 x Dayton Audio MK442 Central $60
1 x Dayton Audio SUB-1200 $180

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
I just noticed that the Sub-1200 is out of stock, and the websites that have stock are charging over $300. Two alternatives I've considered for the sub are:

1 - BIC Acoustech Elite Series PL-300; ($449)
2 - BIC America F12. ($300)

What do you think?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It is easy to confuse the MK442T and MK422. The MK442T is the tower speaker, the MK442 is the Center channel speaker that they also sell in pairs. I use the MK442 as a center channel, four MK442T speakers as the Fronts and Surrounds and two SUB-1200 subwoofers. Get two subs if at all possible and consider the Monoprice SW-15 if the Daytons are out of stock.

The Pioneer has a good feature set. It does not have individual crossovers for different speakers. But, if using matching speakers all the way around it is not an issue. Will you be gaming on a 4K TV @120Hz? There are some very specific settings to consider in the web setup of the Pioneer when doing so.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you for your response! The problem is that I will bring speakers in suitcases and the subwoofer in a box on the plane, so it would be very expensive to bring very large speakers, and the Monoprice Monolith Audition T5 is hard to bring on a plane. The prices I found (all items new):

1 x Pioneer VSX-LX305 Elite 9.2 Channel $699
4 x Dayton Audio MK442 Speaker $220 (for all 4)
1 x Dayton Audio MK442 Central $60
1 x Dayton Audio SUB-1200 $180
Fair enough, but my point about T5 speakers stands the same for its baby brother, the Audition C4 speaker, which would be $260 for four at the current price.
PS: @Trebdp83 - I didn't confuse the speakers; just making the points about the whole brand/model line of speakers - They all should sound similar except for the bass.

For sub alternatives, consider Monoprice as well:

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
It is easy to confuse the MK442T and MK422. The MK442T is the tower speaker, the MK442 is the Center channel speaker that they also sell in pairs. I use the MK442 as a center channel, four MK442T speakers as the Fronts and Surrounds and two SUB-1200 subwoofers. Get two subs if at all possible and consider the Monoprice SW-15 if the Daytons are out of stock.

The Pioneer has a good feature set. It does not have individual crossovers for different speakers. But, if using matching speakers all the way around it is not an issue. Will you be gaming on a 4K TV @120Hz? There are some very specific settings to consider in the web setup of the Pioneer when doing so.
Cool! Initially, I was thinking of using the MK442 (not the Tower) as the center channel and also as the Fronts and Surrounds (5 x MK442).
The issue with the Sub-1200 is that the one I found in stock is above $300, so I believe it might not be a good value to purchase.
Is the Monoprice SW-15 for $299 a better deal than the BIC Acoustech Elite Series PL-300 ($449) and the BIC America F12 ($300)?
Currently, I play at 4k 60Hz, but I'm considering upgrading my TV in the future to play at 4k 120Hz.

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
Fair enough, but my point about T5 speakers stands the same for its baby brother, the Audition C4 speaker, which would be $260 for four at the current price.
PS: @Trebdp83 - I didn't confuse the speakers; just making the points about the whole brand/model line of speakers - They all should sound similar except for the bass.

For sub alternatives, consider Monoprice as well:
Understood! What would be the Monoprice bookshelf model that would be more advantageous than the MK442? And which speaker could I use as the center channel?

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
Can you tell me if I'm forgetting something for the setup or if there's something worthwhile I should add to make the most of the trip?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Understood! What would be the Monoprice bookshelf model that would be more advantageous than the MK442? And which speaker could I use as the center channel?
Based on your budget, I'd recommend 3x Audition C4 for fronts (left/right/center) and 2x B4 for surrounds. If you can afford an upgrade, consider 3x C5s and 2x B5s - it would provide more dynamics (louder) and better acoustical integration with the SW-15 sub.

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
I saw the Monolith by Monoprice Audition B5 Bookshelf, but I'm concerned that its sensitivity might be too low (84.3dB) compared to the MK442, which is 86dB. I'm not sure if that would be a significant difference to the ears.

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
Based on your budget, I'd recommend 3x Audition C4 for fronts (left/right/center) and 2x B4 for surrounds. If you can afford an upgrade, consider 3x C5s and 2x B5s - it would provide more dynamics (louder) and better acoustical integration with the SW-15 sub.
Sorry for the silly question, but wouldn't the MK442 have a higher broader Frequency response (60-20,000 Hz) and also a higher sensitivity compared to both the C5 and the B5?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw the Monolith by Monoprice Audition B5 Bookshelf, but I'm concerned that its sensitivity might be too low (84.3dB) compared to the MK442, which is 86dB. I'm not sure if that would be a significant difference to the ears.
that's not apples for apples comparison. MK442 equivalent would be Audition C4, which has the same sensitivity (85.4dB)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry for the silly question, but wouldn't the MK442 have a broader Frequency response (60-20,000 Hz) and also a higher sensitivity compared to both the C5 and the B5?
without knowing that FR limits (like +/- 3db) that number is meaningless.

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
Got it! So, I'll look for 3x C5s and 2x B5s! Thank you very much for the guidance! Regarding the Sub, do you think the Monoprice SW-15 for $299 is a better deal than the BIC Acoustech Elite Series PL-300 ($449) and the BIC America F12 ($300)?
And the Pioneer VSX-LX305 is a nice match?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Got it! So, I'll look for 3x C5s and 2x B5s! Thank you very much for the guidance! Regarding the Sub, do you think the Monoprice SW-15 for $299 is a better deal than the BIC Acoustech Elite Series PL-300 ($449) and the BIC America F12 ($300)?
And the Pioneer VSX-LX305 is a nice match?
Yes, SW-15 is a much better sub than your other options.
As for AVR, I'm not a big fan of Pioneer's MCACC auto room calibration system; I think AudysseyMultEQ XT on AVR, like Denon's X2800H (generally $150 more expensive), is a better system. I won't worry about the 95 vs 100w amp difference - these, in reality, are the same. But other than the auto-room system, LS305 has a lot to offer feature-wise.

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
I read the Monoprice SW-15 review and I'm afraid of this:

"The rapid fall-off above 80Hz puts this sub at a bit of a disadvantage. That means that the SW-15 isn’t really suitable for crossover frequencies above 80Hz. It’s NOT a subwoofer I would use with small bookshelf speakers that usually need a higher crossover frequency in order not to have a gap in the mid-bass response. However, those with full-sized bookshelf speakers as well as tower speakers should be fine. This lack of upper-frequency extension also works against multi-sub setups where placement can address acoustic problems above 80Hz."

Do you think I will have a problem with the C5s and B5s with this sub?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you stream music from various services from different devices, how you get the music to the receiver will be of import as Denon and Pioneer will differ slightly in how it can be done. That will carry more weight than room correction for some when making a choice between them. But, if using different speakers front to back, the Denon will be more flexible concerning crossovers.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
As for AVR, I'm not a big fan of Pioneer's MCACC auto room calibration system; I think AudysseyMultEQ XT on AVR, like Denon's X2800H (generally $150 more expensive)
The Pioneer has DIRAC too ya know, making it a far superior value to that Denon.....I am a big fan of MCACC though.
I dumped a Denon for a Pioneer....much happier now, although I did lose that extra skillet.

S

Serrano

Enthusiast
The Denon X2800H doesn't fit into my budget which I've actually already increased a bit. So far, the setup is as follows:

3 x Monolith by Monoprice Audition C5 Center Channel Speaker – USD 300
2 x Monolith by Monoprice Audition B5 Bookshelf Speaker – USD 90
1 x Monoprice SW-15 15in 600 Watt RMS – USD 300
1 x Pioneer VSX-LX305 Elite 9.2 Channel – USD 699

However, I still have concerns regarding the review I mentioned above about the sub "...It’s NOT a subwoofer I would use with small bookshelf speakers that usually need a higher crossover frequency in order not to have a gap in the mid-bass response. However, those with full-sized bookshelf speakers as well as tower speakers should be fine."

Do you think I will have a problem with the C5s and B5s with this sub? Do you think I need something else for the set up?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis