W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
It's not just a matter of the headphones presenting a load to the amp, part of the problem with using the headphone output on most devices is really due to the fact that even on expensive equipment, the headphone stage is an afterthought....using just consisting of some cheap 25 cent op amp.

Almost every set of headphones will benefit somewhat from a quality headphone amp. If you spend most of your time listening to headphones, then this is a good investment (you can use it forever even as you change your preamps). And lastly, if you ever upgrade enough to high quality separates, you might find that they don't even offer headphone jacks.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Sennheisers...

Are any of you familiar with the Sennheiser HD555? One call has them on sale for $119 including free FedEx. Here's the ad:

The HD 555 open, dynamic stereo headphones feature a special internal surround reflector. It generates an extended, spatial sound field, making this model the ideal headphones for home cinema as well as music. Many innovative features such as E.A.R. technology and optimised Duofol diaphragms deliver a whole new level of audio reproduction.

Recommended?

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I only heard them briefly, but yes....they sounded very good to me. They did seem a bit laid back in the upper frequency range, but they sounded quite detailed to me. I would guess they are also very comfortable for extended use.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
warpdrive said:
It's not just a matter of the headphones presenting a load to the amp, part of the problem with using the headphone output on most devices is really due to the fact that even on expensive equipment, the headphone stage is an afterthought....using just consisting of some cheap 25 cent op amp.

Almost every set of headphones will benefit somewhat from a quality headphone amp. If you spend most of your time listening to headphones, then this is a good investment (you can use it forever even as you change your preamps). And lastly, if you ever upgrade enough to high quality separates, you might find that they don't even offer headphone jacks.
How is the price of an op amp a valid argument? The only issue is measurable performance and how it correlates with known human detection threshold. There are cheap priced op amps that do that job just fine -- made specifically for such purposes. That is one of the reasons op amps are widespread(braod functinality at low cost). Ironically, the GRADO RA1 headphone amplifier -- that cost hundred of dollars -- uses a JRC op amp that costs about $0.30-$0.40 in small quantity.

I carefully qualified some of the basic circumstances where an add-on amplifier might be needed in my previous post. What are you going on about?

-Chris

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
My only point is that the headphone stage is an afterthought. Even the easiest to drive headphones may benefit from some kind of external headphone amp. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it myself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis