bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
I am going to be purchasing headphones to hook up to my receiver pretty soon. I was hoping to get some feedback as to what might be the best out there. I do not want wireless, just want them to sound great and be comfortable. I will be using them for both movies and music. Also, my receiver has no digital ouputs so stereo will be just fine. Thanks

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
what are you looking for, in terms of budget, over the ear versus full ear cups, noise reduction, WAF, weight limits, wear eyeglasses, etc.

Seriously, all of these subjects are issues.

I wear glasses, and the full ear cups, if the cup is a relatively stiff material, can be a comfort problem for me.

WAF is more of a factor for noise emitting from the 'phones.

Give us a few more details, and you will get lots of opinions.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
bigbassdave said:
I am going to be purchasing headphones to hook up to my receiver pretty soon. I was hoping to get some feedback as to what might be the best out there. I do not want wireless, just want them to sound great and be comfortable. I will be using them for both movies and music. Also, my receiver has no digital ouputs so stereo will be just fine. Thanks
Here is a threads on this subject recently. Anything here of help?

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6072

-Chris

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
thanks that link does help. Still if there are any more opinions I'd love to hear them. I don't want to spend more than $175 and I do not wear glasses. Over the ears would be preferable. I just want something that sounds great and blocks out other sounds around me. Other than that I don't know what to say cause I have not experience with headphones. thanks again

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Sony MDR-7506. I own them, and they're about as accurate of headphones as you're gonna get. They fit both 1/8" and 1/4" adapters, come with a bag, fold up for storage, and do an excellent job of blocking out noise. Also, since they aren't rediculously high impedence, you can drive them with a portable CD player. They're not as comfy as say...my friend's $300 Sennheisers, but I feel they do sound better. Plus, the Sennheisers are open ear phones, so they don't isolate you. Plus, these phones are about $100. The only downsides I can think of are:

-Ugly
-Pads have a reputation of wearing out, but aren't that hard to replace.

Still, I'd recommend you get a pair. For your money, I don't think you'll find a better set of headphones.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
bigbassdave said:
thanks that link does help. Still if there are any more opinions I'd love to hear them. I don't want to spend more than $175 and I do not wear glasses. Over the ears would be preferable. I just want something that sounds great and blocks out other sounds around me. Other than that I don't know what to say cause I have not experience with headphones. thanks again
As I believe I made clear in my posts in the linked thread -- I only recommend headphones specifically when a known application/purpose is seemingly well suited.

As for general listening use -- and no specific other requirement then closed and around 175 ballpark or lower -- I will recommend(but not endorse) a number of devices that have been popular among other audio enthusiasts(in no particular order):

Sennheiser HD280
Sony MDR-7506
Sony MDR-V6(same as 7506 - not V600)
Sony MDR-900ST
Audio Technica ATH-A500
Audio Technical ATH-A900

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
Sony MDR-7506. I own them, and they're about as accurate of headphones as you're gonna get.
BTW Jaxvon: what do you think about the MDR-7506 for general listening of commercial recordings(please specify example recordings if possible)?

-Chris

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
bigbassdave said:
I have a pair of Senns HD 580's and love them. Smooth, accurate, and comfy for long listening sessions. If you want rock and roll in your face headphones try the Grados. I have both and which one I use depends on my mood and they type of music I am listening to.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I use mine for basically all my listening now, including my MP3s. You can really hear how crappy they are, but whatever. For CDs, I've been listening to...
Steely Dan
Ben Folds Five
John Scofield Band
ulu
Keith Jarret
And some other stuff.

As long as you're not listening to MP3s or a really garbage recordings, they should sound fine. That said, if there is anything "wrong" with the recording, you're going to hear it. Still, I find them quite good. I wear them when I'm studying or working because it really helps to get away and sink into the music. They don't make anything any different than it is. If you're not using a good source (e.g. laptop), you can hear it. If your music was recorded on an analog tape, you can hear it. In all seriousness, I've heard things (mainly in my Steely Dan CDs) that I've never heard before. "Whoa! I never noticed that piano fill there!"

I haven't hooked mine up to a good reciever, but from the sources I've used so far (Portable CD player, Dell Laptop, Korg Triton, Alesis QS 8), they have all the freqency range and SPL abilities you could wish for, and of course great sound quality.

The best part about them is that they can be your "go everywhere" headphones. Plug 'em into whatever and you'll be assured top-quality sound, in the studio or just on the street with your portable.

I'm rambling, but I think I answered your question. Ask something else if I didn't. I'm quite tired and incoherent at the moment.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
Well, I use mine for basically all my listening now, including my MP3s. You can really hear how crappy they are, but whatever. For CDs, I've been listening to...
Steely Dan
Ben Folds Five
John Scofield Band
ulu
Keith Jarret
And some other stuff.
I'm glad your enjoyint the product. I forget -- did I initlaly recommend that product to you? If so -- glad that I could see some suggestion being taken seriously if only once. :-D
As long as you're not listening to MP3s or a really garbage recordings, they should sound fine.
Now let's be fair. MP3s can be of superb sound quality if a proper encoder and setting is used.

That said, if there is anything "wrong" with the recording, you're going to hear it. Still, I find them quite good. I wear them when I'm studying or working because it really helps to get away and sink into the music. They don't make anything any different than it is.
Oh, I agree that they make anything that is wrong very apparent. Unfortunately, virtually every recording is not nuetral. :-(

Thank you for the reply.

-Chris

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, after looking over that old thread I started, you were the one that recommended on multiple occasions that I go for the MDR-7506s. So thanks! I really feel like I got a good buy.

After A/Bing the 595s and my 7506s, I found that they sounded very similar. The Sennheisers seemed perhaps a tad laid back, but what I really didn't like was the ambient noise coming through (due to their open design).

I actually bought these phones because I needed to get some closed-ear ones for my music class, and since I had been wishing but never spending, I justified the purchase as "school related" and drove out to Guitar Center to pick up a pair.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all the help fellas I'll let you know what I get and how I like it pretty soon here.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Hmmm, headphones.

My friend is somewhat of a headphone addict, he has a whole collection of really nice headphones. I listened to a bunch of them, and I quickly picked out a few favorites.

His favorite and mine too are the Sennheiser HD600's, these are pretty expensive ($400), but they were really magic, they aren't hard hitting headphones, but are so detailed but yet smooth sounding. I listened to these for hours, just picking out details that were lost with other headphones, and without listening fatigue at all. Comfy too.

In the lower price range, I have to say I really also liked his Grado headphones (SR125), they are a bit more dynamic and punchy than the Sennheisers, but not as comfortable, but they were my second favorite of his collection.

As for the Sony V6 I see mentioned, I used to have a pair of these many years ago and I really liked them especially for their price back then, but in retrospect, the Sennheisers and Grado's I've heard outclass these by a large margin. If it were my money, I'd be looking at the Grado's if I need a new pair.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
warpdrive said:
Hmmm, headphones.

My friend is somewhat of a headphone addict, he has a whole collection of really nice headphones. I listened to a bunch of them, and I quickly picked out a few favorites.

His favorite and mine too are the Sennheiser HD600's, these are pretty expensive ($400), but they were really magic,
The good news is that you need not spend anywhere near this amount. The HD600 can be found new for around $250 USD now. Even better...you can get the Sennheiser HD580--which is the SAME headphone excepting the color and the outside grills. The grills on the HD600 are metal - the HD580 grills are plastic. These two use the same headband frame/structure but differing paint job. The driver baffle and driver is exactly the same one used in the HD600. You can find a new HD580 for about $150 USD online.

As for the Sony V6 I see mentioned, I used to have a pair of these many years ago and I really liked them especially for their price back then, but in retrospect, the Sennheisers and Grado's I've heard outclass these by a large margin. If it were my money, I'd be looking at the Grado's if I need a new pair.
Maybe outclassed by your idea of subjective sound reproduction. However, I don't know of a more accurate headphone for monitoring what is actually on a recording/live feed. I'de say the MDR V6(7506) *outclasses* most for that purpose. Funny how that can work, huh?

-Chris

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
WmAx said:
Maybe outclassed by your idea of subjective sound reproduction. However, I don't know of a more accurate headphone for monitoring what is actually on a recording/live feed. I'de say the MDR V6(7506) *outclasses* most for that purpose. Funny how that can work, huh?
-Chris
Well, we can agree to disagree then. My colleague that used to work in a broadcast studio preferred one of the Beyer models (I forget which one), and he sold me the V6's after he got his Beyers (I remember him being really happy, the Beyers were a big improvement).

The V6's are a classic, and certainly worth their asking price, I think the HD600's are definitely the more accurate headphone overall.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
warpdrive said:
Well, we can agree to disagree then. My colleague that used to work in a broadcast studio preferred one of the Beyer models (I forget which one), and he sold me the V6's after he got his Beyers (I remember him being really happy, the Beyers were a big improvement).

The V6's are a classic, and certainly worth their asking price, I think the HD600's are definitely the more accurate headphone overall.
I ask: how did your 'buddy' determine his prference? BTW, accuracy may not have been the prime requirement.

In my personal A/B tests, using two omnipolar measurement microphones(flat response), standing between them(at the same distance as the microphones from the source) and comparing to the original acoustic source(s) to the microphoned feed(with no EQ or FX) -- the MDR-7506(MDR-V6) sounded virtually identical in tonality in the midrange and treble.

I purchased this headphone and did this particular test after one much like it was described by John Dunlavy(Dunlay Audio Labs) on usenet some time ago. Indeed, I found his description and test to be repeatable.

What the headphones sounds like on commercial music is another matter entirely -- as these rarely even attempt to record 'accurately' any event. Even those that intend to usually do not meet this objective since more importance is placed on perceived accuracy rather than objective accuracy.

-Chris

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Well, I'm not sure why he liked the Beyers better. But he was a stickler for accuracy too.

Accuracy in overall tonality is one thing, accuracy in detail is another. Certainly the V6's are very capable of good tonality, no argument there.

One thing that I noticed is that with fine detail, the V6 got lost at times. I listen to a lot of classical music, and with the V6's, I could not always pick out individual instruments clearly even compared to my speakers I had at the time (Camber 5.0ti).

I'm sure the V6's are exactly what you need, but for the original poster, I'll still stick by my recommendation for the Grado 125 (or even better, since the street prices of the 580 are now $150, the HD580). They are a step above IMO

Last edited:

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Headphone Amps?

You guys must read minds. I was logging on to post an enquiry about headphones as I am now in the market. You guys have done all my dirty work for me! Thanks Jaxvon and WMAx for your inputs...I'll check out those models you recommend.

Jax and I have very similiar music tastes...love my Steely, Sco, and Jarrett as well. I bet you can really hear Keiths moans and grunts clearly on those Sonys! My favorites are Still Live and Facing You. Anyway...that's more for the musical goodness thread. Back to headphones:

What particular good do headphone amplifiers provide? Are they necessary?
Would they offer any improvement over just plugging in a good set of phones into the front of my Denon 3805? Any thoughts?

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Headphone amps are *definitely* a worthy buy. The amount of difference will depend on the headphones, but for most headphones, there will be some improvement.

If you do try the Grado's I mentioned (The SR125), you will notice that the Grado's seem to sound more punchy when you use it with a good headphone amp. Highly recommended.

Even on my portable set of Shure E3C, I feel the bass seems to be more well defined when using a headphone amp.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
20to20K said:
What particular good do headphone amplifiers provide? Are they necessary?
Would they offer any improvement over just plugging in a good set of phones into the front of my Denon 3805? Any thoughts?
The only improvment a headphone amplifier can be expected to make is in case of the circuit network in question is not optimized to work with certain load impedances or does not provide adequate voltage output to drive certain inefficient headphones. When some portable player headphone outputs are presented with a load of 20-30 ohms, for example, they may distort excessively and/or also have excessive low frequency rolloff(a result of using a DC blocking capacitor on the output that is of too small a value for the load in question). However, if the headphone is efficient and you have additional volume range left that you never use -- you can just pop in a 15 ohm resistor inline with the headphone and it will fix the problem if such a scenario exists. Some loss of volume will occur; that's why this only works if you have plenty of volume in the first place.

-Chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis