Headphones for 19 year old?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
What are some good brands to consider in the 100 buck range? My son wants some over the ear headphones for his birthday. He likes the corded types. Mostly for playing music through his iphone. What do teens like these days? He listens to loud modern rock.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have had these for 6 months at office and I have liked them a lot: https://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-Premium-Closed-Back-Folding-Headphones/dp/B06XY9NNNN

Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 would be great pick as well if you can find a good deal on them.

Or these if you can wait the drop time + the time it takes to deliver the drop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he-350?referer=4568TG&mode=guest_open

Teens seem to like DJ style headphones quite a lot tho, if you go for those get the best Sennheiser cans you can find in budget.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Well they were a hit. He really likes them and let me test em out. They do sound amazing. Thanks for the tips!

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
Another option for those wondering are the Audio Technica ATH-m40x or the older ATH-m50.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Another option for those wondering are the Audio Technica ATH-m40x or the older ATH-m50.
op already bought Sennheiser, but someone else revisits this thread, please make sure not to waste money on either of these.

Last edited:
silentmuse

silentmuse

Audiophyte
I ended up ordering these. You guys both suggested this brand so I went for it. I liked this model because they seem a bit smaller and more portable which he might want. Hopefully he's happy with them and hopefully they last. He goes through them fast for some reason. We bought some beats a while back and those things died faster than any of the $10 head phones he had.
That's a good choice! Congrats on purchase.
Something went wrong with this message. Wanted to add, that I'm using the same model. Mostly for audiobooks during my daily routine, and they're quite comfortable.

Last edited:
KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
What are some good brands to consider in the 100 buck range? My son wants some over the ear headphones for his birthday. He likes the corded types. Mostly for playing music through his iphone. What do teens like these days? He listens to loud modern rock.
Try Bose QuietComfort 25. They are expensive, but they are worth the extra dollar. Such great headphones. I use them during tracking. GREAT all around headphones that sound GREAT with any music. They lack in bass a little, but they sound very "honest" if you know what I mean. Just my suggestion.
Thanks,
Ryan

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
I have had these for 6 months at office and I have liked them a lot: https://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-Premium-Closed-Back-Folding-Headphones/dp/B06XY9NNNN

Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 would be great pick as well if you can find a good deal on them.

Or these if you can wait the drop time + the time it takes to deliver the drop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he-350?referer=4568TG&mode=guest_open

Teens seem to like DJ style headphones quite a lot tho, if you go for those get the best Sennheiser cans you can find in budget.
I don't care for DJ headsets, I like open back cans like the AKG K240.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

@tyhjaarpa , is there some reason you disagree with me? Do you not like Bose?
He is asking for 100$ headphones and you come to suggest 300$ headphones to start with. Bose is over priced junk as well and that is well known. And if you followed the topic he already has bought the headphones.
I don't care for DJ headsets, I like open back cans like the AKG K240.
By that comment do you mean you are a teenager? Then you start to talk about open back headphones after you suggest Bose, what have you been taking?

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
He is asking for 100$ headphones and you come to suggest 300$ headphones to start with. Bose is over priced junk as well and that is well known. And if you followed the topic he already has bought the headphones.

By that comment do you mean you are a teenager? Then you start to talk about open back headphones after you suggest Bose, what have you been taking?
Sorry for the controversy. He was asking for 100 dollar headphones, eh? I didn't see that part, along with that he had purchased the headphones. I'm 14, and I like a wide variety of headphones. Open back for listening and Bose for studio tracking. Both AKG and Bose are very good, I do not know where you got the notion that Bose are crap. I really like them, with lots of other people agreeing. I'm NOT trying to stir anything up at ALL!
Thanks,
Ryan

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Sorry for the controversy. He was asking for 100 dollar headphones, eh? I didn't see that part, along with that he had purchased the headphones. I'm 14, and I like a wide variety of headphones. Open back for listening and Bose for studio tracking. Both AKG and Bose are very good, I do not know where you got the notion that Bose are crap. I really like them, with lots of other people agreeing. I'm NOT trying to stir anything up at ALL!
Thanks,
Ryan
Yes, there is big fan base for Bose, Beats, Skullcandy and so on.. But it doesnt mean that many cant be wrong. AKG has some good headphones for sound quality but I personally find them lack in comfort. Bose has pretty good noise cancelling but thats pretty much it as they lack in sound quality when you compare them to headphones in same price range. If something works doesnt necessarily mean it is good or good value. Here we want to recommend things that are good value.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis