headphone recommendations ??

K

kachaloo

Audiophyte
Hi, kid is going off to music school and I am looking for some headphones with these features as a going away gift: over the ear, closed back, detachable cable, w/mic for phone / computer use, non-hyped bass response, durable, under 125. These will be in and out of a backpack pretty constantly, I would guess, and I doubt they will be carefully stored in a case, lol. I've done quite a bit of research but some uh, external input would be nice. thx!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For that low budget and mic requirement I would suggest IEM like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H3F0SDI/

For your budget without mic: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017TAZ3SM/

With mic you could get compromise how ever but it wont be as good as what I suggested above: https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCVTQ

Also if bluetooth is option these have had good reviews, haven't tried myself: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5UVZBP/

Personally would get the DT770 for best sound quality, for computer use you can easily get separate mic. Mic requirement and low budget is really limiting.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Why do you recommend this?

Already in my basket as this is exactly the kind of utilitarian set I was looking for (price point, features)

Appreciate the post, would like to now why you say this before I order.
Pretty much best closed cans under 150$, good sound quality and comfort. It really depends on your needs if they suit you best as well.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Pretty much best closed cans under 150$, good sound quality and comfort. It really depends on your needs if they suit you best as well.
i'd be using them strictly for audio books or on line courses/documentaries

i have a set i am very happy with
Logitech 982-000104 UE 6000 Headphones
but i want a second set for upstairs

the ones i have are discontinued.

i have others for music listening.

K

kachaloo

Audiophyte
Those DT 770s look pretty good. He doesn't like iems, so those wouldn't work. Thanks for your response! I wound up ordering these: Koss ProDJ200

They seemed sturdy, and I liked that it comes with 2 detachable cables and has a mic, although I may need to get another cable that will work with an android phone. I think it also comes with a case that might fit in a backpack without being too bulky. The jury is out on whether such a thing would get much actual use, haha. Kids these days are modding them out with different readily available ear cushions that apparently improve comfort and even sound to some degree. As they are, the cushions apparently are right on the cusp between over and on the ear. Even with these two improvements entire cost is less than 100, with all the features I (or my son claimed he) wanted. I also ran across a forum post by a drummer who found them to have just the right balance between suppressing outside sounds and allowing enough drums in so as not to encourage "artificial" balance that could be detrimental to technique. A fine point for sure, but could be helpful.

Hopefully they will sound OK

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CNC79A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thx again for the feedback!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Those DT 770s look pretty good. He doesn't like iems, so those wouldn't work. Thanks for your response! I wound up ordering these: Koss ProDJ200

They seemed sturdy, and I liked that it comes with 2 detachable cables and has a mic, although I may need to get another cable that will work with an android phone. I think it also comes with a case that might fit in a backpack without being too bulky. The jury is out on whether such a thing would get much actual use, haha. Kids these days are modding them out with different readily available ear cushions that apparently improve comfort and even sound to some degree. As they are, the cushions apparently are right on the cusp between over and on the ear. Even with these two improvements entire cost is less than 100, with all the features I (or my son claimed he) wanted. I also ran across a forum post by a drummer who found them to have just the right balance between suppressing outside sounds and allowing enough drums in so as not to encourage "artificial" balance that could be detrimental to technique. A fine point for sure, but could be helpful.

Hopefully they will sound OK

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CNC79A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thx again for the feedback!
ProDJ2000 is not bad way to go, but typically DJ headphones aren't really meant to be very accurate.
I had few Koss headphones. They sound good. I doubt these would be best for critical listening, but it's matching the requirements and budget perfectly.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

i'd be using them strictly for audio books or on line courses/documentaries

i have a set i am very happy with
Logitech 982-000104 UE 6000 Headphones
but i want a second set for upstairs

the ones i have are discontinued.

i have others for music listening.
Should be great then!

A

aaro

Audiophyte
you must try the world best headphone "Oppo PM-3. BEST SOUND: Closed back planar magnetic headphones" and enjoy its sound quality.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

you must try the world best headphone "Oppo PM-3. BEST SOUND: Closed back planar magnetic headphones" and enjoy its sound quality.
He has budget of 125$..

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Having SkullCandy as their second pick lost my trust on their reviews.
I've never considered their reviews to be gospel, especially with anything as subjective as speakers and headphones. In this case we are talking about $70 for a Bluetooth headset (includes built-in mic), do they match my Crossfade IIs? Heck no, but for a $70 BT they aren't bad. Are their better wired cans for under $125, sure but so far I haven't heard one (I have not heard everything) that includes a mic. At less than $100 the Grado's SR80e sounds pretty good for the money but lacks a mic and could be more durable (my eGrados lasted a year).

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I've never considered their reviews to be gospel, especially with anything as subjective as speakers and headphones. In this case we are talking about $70 for a Bluetooth headset (includes built-in mic), do they match my Crossfade IIs? Heck no, but for a $70 BT they aren't bad. Are their better wired cans for under $125, sure but so far I haven't heard one (I have not heard everything) that includes a mic. At less than $100 the Grado's SR80e sounds pretty good for the money but lacks a mic and could be more durable (my eGrados lasted a year).
Haven't heard Jabra headphones but I have their iem at office and I'm not impressed by them. And having Skullcandy as second pick in their review when Skullcandy is known to produce really overpriced products that sell with their fancy looks and marketing tricks doesnt look good to me.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Sennheiser Urbanite On-Ear Headphones check it out.

More headphones under that budget : deleted

thanks!
Do you, by any chance, work for supremefive?

This sentence doesn't exactly paint them in good light:
"Beats have remastered wireless sound,"

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis