headphone help, new to this

L

LivDoug

Audiophyte
I do have a moderare budget. And need some good headohones. I have been looking at the Sony MDR-NC40 headphones? are they good? is there somethhing better I should bbe looking at for around 50-100 dollars? Thank yo uin advance for any help.

I have no experience with any of this. So any help is greatly appreciated.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I use the Sony MDR-7506 myself and have for years.In the studio and live mixing they are my favorite hands down $99 anywhere.......

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Those are noise-cancelling headphones. Any particular reason you're looking at noise-cancelling? You generally sacrifice sound quality a bit, plus you have to deal with batteries, etc.

If you need to block out noise, a good set of "sealed" phones (closed back, form a seal around your ear) blocks out almost as much noise. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD-280, and they're terrific. If you don't need to block out noise, the Grado SR60 (or the step-up SR80) are frequently recommended (I also have the SR60, also a great set for the price, but they don't block out noise at all).

The Sony MDR-7506 set that jamie mentioned gets high recommendations all the time around here - and that must mean something, because there's generally a lot of anti-Sony sentiment around here! I can't comment on them from personal experience, however.

Any additional information regarding where/how you'll be using these could be useful.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
My votes would go towards. These are all open style headphones.

Alessandro MS1
Koss PortaPro
Grado SR60i
Grado SR80i

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I do have a moderare budget. And need some good headohones. I have been looking at the Sony MDR-NC40 headphones? are they good? is there somethhing better I should bbe looking at for around 50-100 dollars? Thank yo uin advance for any help.

I have no experience with any of this. So any help is greatly appreciated.
I suggest these. I get complete isolation from everything. I wear them at work in a noisy office and people have to tap me to get a hold of me. They have very high sound quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-Black/dp/B000BQSGMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1244846569&sr=1-1

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I suggest these. I get complete isolation from everything. I wear them at work in a noisy office and people have to tap me to get a hold of me. They have very high sound quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-Black/dp/B000BQSGMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1244846569&sr=1-1
I haven't used ear-canal headphones - how is this model convenience wise: ease of insertion/removal, cleaning & maintenance?

(sorry OP for hijacking the thread a little).

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I'll add a few more

Koss KSC-75 (portable) - Basically a less expensive PortaPro without a headband.

Sennheiser HD215 (closed)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't used ear-canal headphones - how is this model convenience wise: ease of insertion/removal, cleaning & maintenance?

(sorry OP for hijacking the thread a little).
Not that bad for me. Just wet the tip twist in. Twist out to remove.

They are very easy to transport and come with a case that fits in the pocket. They are reference headphones IMO. Mine are the more expensive ones, but those are probably what I would buy now. :)

The only 2 spikes in response are due to inner ear resonances. But this is with all headphones.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis