L

lil will

Audiophyte
I just purchased a Panasonic Th-50px500u. Im trying to decide whether to go with Comcast cable or Direct TV. Panasonic says it has a built in ATSC tuner and can accomodate a CableCard. My question is do I still need a HDTV receiver from Comcast or Direct TV? And if I go with DTV and purchase the HDTV receiver at Best Buy for Direct TV is that all I need to get HDTV or do I have to subscribe to each channel.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
lil will said:
I just purchased a Panasonic Th-50px500u. Im trying to decide whether to go with Comcast cable or Direct TV. Panasonic says it has a built in ATSC tuner and can accomodate a CableCard. My question is do I still need a HDTV receiver from Comcast or Direct TV? And if I go with DTV and purchase the HDTV receiver at Best Buy for Direct TV is that all I need to get HDTV or do I have to subscribe to each channel.
First, if your HDTV has a built-in tuner, that means it can receive over the air content, such as your local network stations. You still will not get any of the extra channels (ie, MTv, Discover, etc) To pick up those stations, you would still need an OTA antenna. Typically you can get your satellite installer to set that up for you as well...for a fee.

I don't know about whether or not Comcast has CableCard support, as they aren't available in my area.

If you go with satellite, you can either purchase your receiver at Best Buy/Circuit/etc. OR a lot of times, you can rent one from the sattelite provider for a small fee. (I'm paying $5 per month for my receiver from Dish) This means you can often trade up for a better receiver as new ones come out. Otherwise, you'd have to buy a new receiver for new tech.

And yes, you would still have to subscribe to one of DTV's channel packages, otherwise you wouldn't get any content. (I think their lowest cost package is like $41.99)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
errrmmm...

Well, the ATSC tuner connected to a roof antenna will give you digital channels for free. The ones that are just floating around. Enjoy!

The CableCard slot is for your cable company (Comcast). Just call them and let them know what services you want and tell them you need to rent a CableCard. They will install the card and you will get all the digital channels you are subscribed to including the HD channels.

From what I have heard, the built in electronic programming guide with CableCard blows. But, you don't need a cable box and you don't need an extra remote. Just plug the cable into the TV, and you are good to go.

I am not a satellite fan, because you will end up paying several hundred bucks typically to get the box, and must sign up for a year or more of service to get any equipment at a decent price. Plus, if you add one more TV later, you have to add more boxes and hardware. Cable just lets you plug in multiple TVs all over, and you don't need anything else.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
I am not a satellite fan, because you will end up paying several hundred bucks typically to get the box, and must sign up for a year or more of service to get any equipment at a decent price. Plus, if you add one more TV later, you have to add more boxes and hardware. Cable just lets you plug in multiple TVs all over, and you don't need anything else.
There are ways around it. For example, I get Dish through SBC. Doing it that way, there is no contract. (and some cable companies charge extra for extra TVs)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Just keep in mind an ATSC tuner will only pick up DTV channels available in your town with a good antenna. My folks only get two (out of four) channels from an amplified set of rabbit ears ($30 unit for Walmart). A rooftop antenna should pick up more, but there's only so many local channels. You wont get Discovery HD which is killer, TNT which is good, and a few others that come with a HD cable box. That's my next project - antenna in the attic or roof at the folks house.

Put your zip code in this link to find out which are available in your area.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

JVC

JVC

Banned
The price gellor quoted of $41.99 for DTV, does not include HD channels. DirecTv's HD package costs $10.99 mo. HBO HD, Showtime HD, and Starz HD are extra too.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
lil will said:
With comcast you can go CableCard or Set top cable box. Either way, they'll make you upgrade to digital cable at a cost of about $20/month. That's in addition to the rental fee of the cable box. There is no rental fee for the cablecard, but they charge you a one time installation cost to put it in (they won't let you do it yourself).

Or you can buy an antenna from Radio Shack (what i ended up doing). I get 8 HD channels and there's no monthly fee.

S

SideWinder

Audiophyte
Go with cable. I work for TWC and we charge for the cable cards, same as a box. i would not go for the cable card. there is no quam correction with the cable card and there is with a cable box. you will have blocking and tile with a cable card as you wont with a cable box. you cant have anyting interactive with a cable card. Cant order movies cant have a guide. With a cable box you can.....Usally with a box the company will put you in a package with say high speed internet, if you have a cable card they wont. There are far less problems with a box then there is with the cable cards.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis