HDMI, who has better picture quality?

W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
I'm running the Ceton InfiniTV4 and using the ATI 6450. I must admit, the picture does look good. I'm wondering if I made the right decision going with ATI verses nVidia. Has anyone compared video cards from each mfr., focusing on the quality of audio and picture being distributed via HDMI? Who delivers the better picture and audio signal through HDMI. I'm thinking the lower end cards that would be used mainly for home theater.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AudiVentory

Audiophyte
Have you flashing of pixels or some other artefacts?

Digital signal don't cause little decreasing of picture's quality. Very visible decreasing always.

No difference between NVidia and ATI. You have qualitative card.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm running the Ceton InfiniTV4 and using the ATI 6450. I must admit, the picture does look good. I'm wondering if I made the right decision going with ATI verses nVidia. Has anyone compared video cards from each mfr., focusing on the quality of audio and picture being distributed via HDMI? Who delivers the better picture and audio signal through HDMI. I'm thinking the lower end cards that would be used mainly for home theater.
Traditionally the Radeon has been the PQ leader. Anti-Aliasing, drop down conversion (AKA PullDown), intertelecine (sp?) etc...

nVidia is also good and both are better then a lot of high end BR players (we are talking $2K players here).

W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
Have you flashing of pixels or some other artefacts?

Digital signal don't cause little decreasing of picture's quality. Very visible decreasing always.

No difference between NVidia and ATI. You have qualitative card.
No, flashing pixels. I built the HTPC using a spare ATI card and didn't give much thought about picture quality at the time. I recently had issues of random black screens which was remedied by replacing the motherboard. In recent years, I've read that ATI cards offered a slightly better quality picture for the PC. I was wondering if that same advantage is available through the HDMI output as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Comparing Nvidia to ATI for CAD applications, ATI just doesn't cut the mustard. They have great hardware, but their drivers SUCK. Prior to being bought by AMD, that wasn't always the case, but I feel they've trailed behind Nvidia for years. So for CAD on a PC, I only recommend Nvidia.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Comparing Nvidia to ATI for CAD applications, ATI just doesn't cut the mustard. They have great hardware, but their drivers SUCK. Prior to being bought by AMD, that wasn't always the case, but I feel they've trailed behind Nvidia for years. So for CAD on a PC, I only recommend Nvidia.
Nvidia has had superior drivers as long as I can remember. My ATI All-in-wonder 7500 never quote worked right. Bought that thing a while before the AMD acquisition and only because I had read that their drivers were improving at that time.

N

nezz621

Audiophyte
I have an radeon 6670 and a nvidea gt440 i believe. Not thrilled with the 440, not that the PQ is poor, but if i tweak it too much (i.e noise reduction) it messes up movie playback in XBMC.

Love my Radeon :)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
After just switching from nVidia to Intel on my HTPC, I can tell you that nVidia is a hell of a lot better than nVidia.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
After just switching from nVidia to Intel on my HTPC, I can tell you that nVidia is a hell of a lot better than nVidia.
You may want to re-read your post :D

I've used Intel, Nvidia, and ATI/AMD for HTPC use and ATI seems to be MUCH better than the rest. Diffent ATI cards can have visually better picture than others. I used a 3450 (very low end) for a long time and it looked decent. Now using a 6570 I can tell you they have come a long way in the PQ department. The decoder you use has a lot to do with it as well.

Having said all that, Intel has actually been getting quite a bit better. The HD4000 series in the IvyBridge chips is right up there (supposedly) with ATI.

This article will tell you everything you ever/never wanted to know about what makes a video card good for HTPC use.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis