HDMI switcher/7.1 HDMI audio out.

M

Maddtix

Audiophyte
I currently have a Datasat Ls10 that I purchased for a great deal. The processor does not have the 4k card in it. They offer a HDMI card upgrade for it but I just am not willing to pay $1750.00 for a card alone. This was the last price I got when I had the money to spend. The first time I called the price was 1250. So I will get to my point.... The tv I have will support 4k with HDR but the preamp does not. I recently purchased a DVD player that has 2 HDMI outs, one sends video and one sends audio only to the preamp allowing me to get 7.1 audio out of the preamp and sending the 4k video to the tv. Now I'm trying to find a switcher that will allow me to send all the 4k to the tv, and send 7.1 audio via HDMI to the preamp for audio only. Has anyone found anything like this that they could give me a model number?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Assume that's a bluray player, not just a dvd (which couldn't handle either the 7.1 audio or the 4k video :) ). If it has dual hdmi outputs am not sure why you need a switch, tho....

M

Maddtix

Audiophyte
Assume that's a bluray player, not just a dvd (which couldn't handle either the 7.1 audio or the 4k video :) ). If it has dual hdmi outputs am not sure why you need a switch, tho....
I have a Panasonic 4k player. The Xbox and PS5 offer 4k with HDR gaming with amazon Netflix 4k streaming. The console do not offer that type of output. Also no where in the post did I say Blu-ray. I would think you know from me talking about 4k video you would assume I have a 4k player:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ultra High Definition(4K) discs are blu-ray discs. While the Panasonic can play DVDs, it is not a DVD player but in fact an Ultra HD (4K) blu-ray player. Microsoft and Sony should have included two HDMI outputs for those with new TVs and older sound systems like the Panasonic.

If you want 4K@120hz gaming then you have a problem. There are HDMI Audio Extractors you can connect to each gaming console but you will be limited to 4K@60hz. I have not found any Audio Extractor that support 4K@120hz but they may be out there.

If your TV only supports 4K@60hz HDR, then you can try an Audio Extractor. Two of them will give your game consoles two HDMI outputs each like the Panasonic. Then, each device will have one HDMI cable connected to the TV and one HDMI cable connected to the processor so you can enjoy lossless audio as well as 4K HDR.
37167423-D845-47C1-8D09-EA438B4E4B02.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Panasonic 4k player. The Xbox and PS5 offer 4k with HDR gaming with amazon Netflix 4k streaming. The console do not offer that type of output. Also no where in the post did I say Blu-ray. I would think you know from me talking about 4k video you would assume I have a 4k player:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Still more proper to call it a bluray player (and most current models can also play other optical discs as well). You didn't mention the other gear in your OP, which clarifies things. Not up on my splitters/switchers, but @Trebdp83 and @BMXTRIX probably can do much better than I in that regard.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Why do you need a splitter? What are you trying to connect to what? The BD player already has your dual HDMI outputs which means you have a video connection for your TV and a proper audio connection for your receiver via HDMI. This SHOULD be a standard that all manufacturers have followed, but hey... f'k the consumer.

If you are looking to connect other sources to your receiver and the TV using a splitter to maintain that ultra hi-res 4K goodness, then you are outta luck.

The lowest common denominator issue will be at play and you will simply be unable to do what you are looking for. The receiver will demand video be in the format it supports (1080p or 4k/60) and the TV may ask for lower quality audio than the receiver supports. Whatever is the worst possible format will be the one selected.

A HDMI audio extractor can help you get audio out of a HDMI only device and pass HDMI video onto a TV while sending digital audio (via Toslink or S/PDIF) to your receiver. It won't be high def audio formats, but that's what happens if you want a video format higher than what your equipment supports. Sucks, but such is life. If you just need a HDMI 2.0 audio extractor, there are plenty of them, but audio quality will still be limited.

Your question was: " Now I'm trying to find a switcher that will allow me to send all the 4k to the tv, and send 7.1 audio via HDMI to the preamp for audio only."

Since your BD player already handles this just fine, it is VERY unclear what you are asking.

If you are asking about connecting your OTHER sources to the TV, then you probably should have mentioned that is what you wanted to do.

If you aren't interested in HDMI 2.1 but just HDMI 2.0, then I'm not sure what is up with your receiver not supporting it or what HDMI board it has, but you really are just going to have to live with limited audio from HDMI into your system because the gear you have simply isn't going to deliver. I would likely just use the optical audio output of the TV back into the receiver and call it done until budget allows for a HDMI board upgrade. I wouldn't consider a HDMI board upgrade if it wasn't to HDMI 2.1.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There are Audio Extractors that claim to send the lossless audio to the receiver while sending the 4K @60hz HDR video to the TV. The one pictured above claims to do so and includes a selector for the audio of choice. What I think @Maddtix wants is a splitter/extractor combo that all of their devices can be plugged into and have one HDMI video output to the TV and one HDMI audio output to the processor. This would eliminate the need to change input sources on the TV and processor and device selection would be done on the splitter/extractor. But, can't say I'ver seen anything like it. Again, if 4K@120hz is the goal, forget about it. Connect the gaming consoles directly to the TV and use ARC or optical to get audio to the processor. If you only need 4k@60hz HDR and want lossless audio, try connecting an Audio Extractor to each console. Results will vary of course based on the settings of all of the components involved and the spec of the HDMI cables in use.

M

Maddtix

Audiophyte
There are Audio Extractors that claim to send the lossless audio to the receiver while sending the 4K @60hz HDR video to the TV. The one pictured above claims to do so and includes a selector for the audio of choice. What I think @Maddtix wants is a splitter/extractor combo that all of their devices can be plugged into and have one HDMI video output to the TV and one HDMI audio output to the processor. This would eliminate the need to change input sources on the TV and processor and device selection would be done on the splitter/extractor. But, can't say I'ver seen anything like it. Again, if 4K@120hz is the goal, forget about it. Connect the gaming consoles directly to the TV and use ARC or optical to get audio to the processor. If you only need 4k@60hz HDR and want lossless audio, try connecting an Audio Extractor to each console. Results will vary of course based on the settings of all of the components involved and the spec of the HDMI cables in use.
yes that is exactly what I am looking for. I could spend 500 on a splitter and save myself still 1200 dollars. I don't need the 4k 120hz. I don't need the atmos DTSx

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I forgot to ask about the TV in use. What is the model?

M

Maddtix

Audiophyte
Concerning the older post. I did find one with only one input. If you guys think about this long and hard this would eliminate the need to update your receiver/processor every three years. It if you are into to that’s cool. Most of us get comfortable with using what we have and only like upgrading when the need arises. Most all of the new sound formats are gimmicks anyway. Theaters have been splitting channels for 20+ years add some delay and boom another channel. Datasat own ap24 theater processor has had 10+ channels for years. I know atmos is a little different but not much. Room treatment would serve you better. Mono price has a suggest a new product on the site. I did that and I guess you have to buy them yourself. But you have to buy 10.000 units. Lol Displays can be purchased they are progressing pretty fast. I just don’t feel the need to change audio equipment every couple years when the advancements do not really change the sound quality at all.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis