S

srenoch1

Audiophyte
I have an Apple TV4k and a Lexicon RV-5 receiver.
Need to figure out how to run audio directly to Lexicon and video directly to TV.
Using the optical out of tv currently.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of TV are you currently using with the receiver? That receiver can handle dolby digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 and that is the best of it. You won’t get more out of it using an HDMI connection. If you are not converting the audio within the Apple TV 4K, you will be sending PCM signals to the TV. Some will be 2.0, some 5.1 and some 7.1/atmos via Dolby MAT. You are probably getting 2.0 PCM back from the optical cable. Go into the Apple TV 4K audio settings and convert output to dolby digital if you have not already done so.

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I have an Apple TV4k and a Lexicon RV-5 receiver.
Need to figure out how to run audio directly to Lexicon and video directly to TV.
Using the optical out of tv currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can't do this with HDMI.

HDMI will look at both your connected devices and will just send the lowest quality audio/video which both devices support. This is called the lowest common denominator issue with HDMI.

You can't send the best quality audio out of half the HDMI splitter and the best quality video out of the other half of the splitter. That's just not at all how HDMI works or was designed to work.

If you have a new 4K TV, then you need a 4K receiver to go along with it for best audio and video quality.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That is definitely the case with the average splitter. There are splitter/extractors that send video from one of the outputs and audio from the other. But, that isn't going to improve sound in this case as the Lexicon RV-5 is an older Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC-3) and DTS 5.1 receiver. I don't think that one handled multi channel PCM via HDMI either so audio conversion in the Apple TV 4K from PCM output to Dolby Digital needs to take place if splitting out the HDMI signal or using the optical output of the TV so that a Dolby Digital 5.1(AC-3) signal can make its way to the receiver. Any newer 4K TV should be able to pass the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal via optical cable to the receiver as long as the TV's digital audio output is set to bitstream/Dolby Digital and not to PCM.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis