Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I just bought an nvidia shield, but my preamp is not hdr or dolby vision certified so I cannot pass through the video there. So right now I have it connected directly to the tv and optical to the preamp, but whenever I watch dolby digital + content on netflix or any streaming service it randomly cuts out audio during the movie. So wondering if hdmi splitter would solve my problems by sending one signal to the receiver and one to the tv, or would the shield stop sending hdr to the tv since it sees the receiver cant handle it

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Yea but the arc doesn't work that good either. Yamaha pre amp and lg oled tv.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Yes unfortunately, even worse actually, no matter if its pass through form an hdmi source or using tv apps

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Are you connecting to the AVR using the optical out of the TV or the optical out of the Shield TV?

A splitter won't work at all because the Shield will see the AV receiver connected over HDMI and will drop the video signal down to a lower quality, or if it doesn't, you will still have a video signal your receiver can't work with.

You could try a HDMI audio extractor. It will need to be compatible with HDMI 2.0 and 18Gb/s HDMI, which will cost a bit more, but there are some out there...

This one meets the called for specifications, but read reviews carefully...

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Using optical from tv to receiver, the shield doesnt have a dedicated audio out, I wish more things were built like my 4k bluray player, one hdmi for video and one for audio

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Time to buy a new Yamaha AVR. The new Yamaha models will even have HDMI 2.1.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I know but I use xlr on my amps and would have to get a preamp too much right now, trying to save for dual subs ;)

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
So, being crazy, I did a bit of Googling...

This USB adapter apparently works with the nVidia Shield TV. Connect it to a USB port and you get digital optical audio connectivity out of it for your receiver.

If it doesn't work... return it. Not a bad deal for under 30 bucks.
Not a bad idea but I think my sheild doesn't have a usb mines the small model not the pro one, but I can use that to move some of my vinyl to my phone which I always wanted to do

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Geez, didn't realize they made a version of the Shield that wasn't full featured with zero USB connections. I'll remember that for the future. Thanks for the info.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Yeah it's like the cylinder looking one it's 149 opposed to 199

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis