C

CamielK

Audiophyte
Hello members (and mods of course),

Soon I'm going to buy a new PC for gaming, movies etc. The problem is, my Onkyo TX-SR605 doesn't support 4K video nor a high refresh rate (like 144hz).

That's why I'm going to connect my monitor with DP and my AV Receiver to HDMI. But... if I use the HDMI on my GPU or my Motherboard, it also passes a video signal to my receiver. The problem then is that my PC thinks I have 2 monitors connected, duplicating of course isn't an option because of the resolution and refresh rate. Does anybody know where to get an HDMI sound card with PCI(-E)? Something like the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3. Please don't comment that I should buy an 3.5mm to Cinch or an optical cable. I use passtrough all the time for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD. Also 7.1 Multichannel would come in handy with games.

Kind regards,
Camiel

--------------------------------------
(A picture of the Asus card mentioned above)
Asus HDAV1.3.jpg

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I looked for a good bit and found zero modern sound cards with HDMI audio. With so many people using the video card's HDMI as a one-size-fits-all, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for what you need.

But... I looked for external DAC's that had HDMI inputs. Not many out there, but this one may solve your problem.

https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/evolve-ii-4k-hdmi-v2-0-7-1-channel-dac/

Seems like you can run the video card's HDMI into it, and connect it to the receiver's 7.1 RCA's. Then run another HDMI cable from the DAC to the monitor. Give Essence a call and see if this is what you need.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is no such thing as HDMI audio. Audio, with HDMI, is embedded into the video. If you don't send video out of the HDMI, you can't have audio.

AV devices, like BD players, which have a dedicated 'audio' output for HDMI, were designed to send some video out of that port and lay the audio on top of whatever that video is. Most likely, just a black field. Though, if I were making it, I would put my logo in there.

For a PC, you are pretty SOL. The best solution is to extend your desktop display onto the second video output and make that your secondary monitor with lower resolution (which is allowed) and then never put anything onto that window. You can then drive audio through to that destination, or should be able to, just fine.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I suspect you could disable the monitor it creates and still use the HDMI as the default audio out. That should prevent any resources from being used to draw a desktop while still getting you sound.

I've not tested it. It *could* disable sound on that port as well; but I don't think it will.

E

essbigboss

Audiophyte
Hello members (and mods of course),

Soon I'm going to buy a new PC for gaming, movies etc. The problem is, my Onkyo TX-SR605 doesn't support 4K video nor a high refresh rate (like 144hz).

That's why I'm going to connect my monitor with DP and my AV Receiver to HDMI. But... if I use the HDMI on my GPU or my Motherboard, it also passes a video signal to my receiver. The problem then is that my PC thinks I have 2 monitors connected, duplicating of course isn't an option because of the resolution and refresh rate. Does anybody know where to get an HDMI sound card with PCI(-E)? Something like the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3. Please don't comment that I should buy an 3.5mm to Cinch or an optical cable. I use passtrough all the time for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD. Also 7.1 Multichannel would come in handy with games.

Kind regards,
Camiel

--------------------------------------
(A picture of the Asus card mentioned above)
View attachment 28965
Hey buddy so i figure your using windows 10, for you have mentioned gaming, cool so. Use dp for your monitor and select audio after connecting via HDMI and then in windows clicking that sound icon on bottom of screen right hand side and then selecting the source, it should bring out a drop down of all available audio sources. select the card what ever it's called. If you're having monitor issues hold windows key and tap p, go through them to find which one solves your issue, good luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis