K

kingcharles

Audiophyte
I'm having an issue with the signal from our cable box coming to the TV when it's first powered on. I have our cable box (Verizon FiOS TV One) connected to the receiver via HDMI (Onkyo TX-NR676), which then goes to my TV (Samsung NU8000). All 3 pieces of equipment are set up for 4k.

When I turn everything on, I hear audio coming through the speakers, but the video signal will take ~1 minute to show up on the TV. The audio will also sometimes cut in and out during this time. Once the video turns on, there aren't any issues until I power everything off and back on again. Also, if I go into the Onkyo settings during this "start-up" time, and back out of them, the video will show up fine. Seems like there is an issue with the initial signal that is sent to the TV?

I thought the issue may have been with the HDMI board in the receiver. I was actually able to swap the receiver out for a new one since I bought it recently, but this didn't solve the problem. There doesn't seem to be an issue when I connect the TV directly to the cable box. Any ideas for what's causing this issue?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm having an issue with the signal from our cable box coming to the TV when it's first powered on. I have our cable box (Verizon FiOS TV One) connected to the receiver via HDMI (Onkyo TX-NR676), which then goes to my TV (Samsung NU8000). All 3 pieces of equipment are set up for 4k.

When I turn everything on, I hear audio coming through the speakers, but the video signal will take ~1 minute to show up on the TV. The audio will also sometimes cut in and out during this time. Once the video turns on, there aren't any issues until I power everything off and back on again. Also, if I go into the Onkyo settings during this "start-up" time, and back out of them, the video will show up fine. Seems like there is an issue with the initial signal that is sent to the TV?

I thought the issue may have been with the HDMI board in the receiver. I was actually able to swap the receiver out for a new one since I bought it recently, but this didn't solve the problem. There doesn't seem to be an issue when I connect the TV directly to the cable box. Any ideas for what's causing this issue?

Thank you in advance for all the help!
Yes, I have an idea- HDMI sucks and what they're trying to do with it isn't what it was designed for.

This usually falls under 'EDID problems'. Go into the HDMI setup menu for the AVR and set everything to 'Auto'. If you don't need the AVR and TV to turn on with the cable box, turn CEC (might be called 'HDMI control) off.

K

kingcharles

Audiophyte
Sorry took so long to check back in, and thank you very much for your quick response. I've spent a while turning settings on / off / auto. Did a full reset of both the Onkyo and Samsung. Closest I got was after both were reset, everything worked as expected... until I powered down for the night. Next day, back to the same issues. Is there some way to check what signals the TV and AVR are looking for to pinpoint which side is missing the handshake?

Now when I try to use the cable box, I don't get ANY sound and just see a blue screen when turn to the AVR source. Note that I have also tried different inputs in the TV and same problems, but I would prefer to use ARC since the smart TV has Netflix, Amazon Video, screen mirroring, etc. built in.

Only other solution I can think of is hook the cable box directly to the TV, and use an optical cable to connect to AVR, though I believe this results in sacrificing some of the sound capabilities.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You won't lose any audio quality from a cable box. Cable TV doesn't use the better audio codecs like you get with Blu-ray Disc or with some of the streaming services out there.

But, this screams cabling or Onkyo to me. For the most part, people seem to like their Onkyo receivers, but in my experience, their engineering is lackluster and a HDMI issue, possibly HDCP related, shouldn't be coming up ever, and if it does, should only take a few seconds to resolve itself. EDID is rather easy in the home market, and is often 1080i for cable boxes, but will include all supported resolutions such as 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and some 4K options for the newest gear.

It is certainly (and entirely!) possible that the cable box is causing the issue because cable box manufacturers are mostly worthless. So, you can do some searching around for the SPECIFIC model of your cable box to see if others are having a similar issue, but that would surprise me a bit if it is a known issue that hasn't been resolved or had a workaround figured out.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
Sorry took so long to check back in, and thank you very much for your quick response. I've spent a while turning settings on / off / auto. Did a full reset of both the Onkyo and Samsung. Closest I got was after both were reset, everything worked as expected... until I powered down for the night. Next day, back to the same issues. Is there some way to check what signals the TV and AVR are looking for to pinpoint which side is missing the handshake?

Now when I try to use the cable box, I don't get ANY sound and just see a blue screen when turn to the AVR source. Note that I have also tried different inputs in the TV and same problems, but I would prefer to use ARC since the smart TV has Netflix, Amazon Video, screen mirroring, etc. built in.

Only other solution I can think of is hook the cable box directly to the TV, and use an optical cable to connect to AVR, though I believe this results in sacrificing some of the sound capabilities.
I ran into this on a service call for a XFINITY 4k DVR. I think the tv was a LG in that case, but I found that setting the output on the box to 1080p or 720p would eliminate the handshake issue. We turned the Tv on and off maybe 50 times without a problem. When I switched the output back to 4K it wouldn’t handshake about half the time, resulting in a snow/no pic/blue screen.

What it seemed to be in that case was a bit of latency from the cable box when upscaling content to 4K. It would take just long enough for handshake to fail.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
You won't lose any audio quality from a cable box. Cable TV doesn't use the better audio codecs like you get with Blu-ray Disc or with some of the streaming services out there.

But, this screams cabling or Onkyo to me. For the most part, people seem to like their Onkyo receivers, but in my experience, their engineering is lackluster and a HDMI issue, possibly HDCP related, shouldn't be coming up ever, and if it does, should only take a few seconds to resolve itself. EDID is rather easy in the home market, and is often 1080i for cable boxes, but will include all supported resolutions such as 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and some 4K options for the newest gear.

It is certainly (and entirely!) possible that the cable box is causing the issue because cable box manufacturers are mostly worthless. So, you can do some searching around for the SPECIFIC model of your cable box to see if others are having a similar issue, but that would surprise me a bit if it is a known issue that hasn't been resolved or had a workaround figured out.
You may be surprised how many known issues go unsolved or untouched. At work we have just gotten an “elevations board” for known issues we techs want to forward up. We can watch the ticket bounce from middle manager to middle manager for months before it just stops and stagnates.

K

kingcharles

Audiophyte
Couldn't find much online about others having issues with the cable box, but it's only been out for a month or so I believe. Did some more troubleshooting last night to confirm resolution into AVR = resolution out of AVR = resolution of TV. Wound up with blue screen and no audio.

Tried a different HDMI port with no ARC which got video and audio back, but video would cut to black for a second every few minutes. Got fed up with the set up and going to move the cable box to hook directly into the TV, then run an optical back to the AVR. So solution was... I give up!

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
Something definitely seems a bit off. Hard to put a finger one with without actually putting hands on it. Trial and error may be the only way to figure this one out.

Do you have other equipment you can swap in? Another AVR, Tv, STB from another room? It could help eliminate possibilities.

K

kingcharles

Audiophyte
Tried swapping the AVR before. Returned the original 676 and got a new one, but had the same issue with it. Tried a different TV and had the same issues too. Don't remember if I tried a different STB.

Looked online and saw a lot of people complaining about Samsung not playing nicely with AVR's, and other threads about Onkyo issues but would be mildly surprised if two of their AVR's had the same problem, but could just be bad luck.

My guess is there were multiple problems between the STB > AVR > TV and maybe related to the HDMI cable that's used since it's a long run (~50'). At least now I know STB > TV will work and TV > AVR via optical should be consistently stable too.

Thank you guys for the help and attention though! Much appreciated for someone who's pretty new to this stuff. Most of my experience was plugging square pegs in square holes and hoping it'll work okay.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Tried swapping the AVR before. Returned the original 676 and got a new one, but had the same issue with it. Tried a different TV and had the same issues too. Don't remember if I tried a different STB.

Looked online and saw a lot of people complaining about Samsung not playing nicely with AVR's, and other threads about Onkyo issues but would be mildly surprised if two of their AVR's had the same problem, but could just be bad luck.

My guess is there were multiple problems between the STB > AVR > TV and maybe related to the HDMI cable that's used since it's a long run (~50'). At least now I know STB > TV will work and TV > AVR via optical should be consistently stable too.

Thank you guys for the help and attention though! Much appreciated for someone who's pretty new to this stuff. Most of my experience was plugging square pegs in square holes and hoping it'll work okay.
Well the 50' run seems like it could be an issue :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis