J

JayHamo

Audiophyte
Hi, I dont know what i am doing

I have a system I am setting up where I have an RCA in to the stereo (NAD C372), and an HDMI in to the projector (not purchased yet)

I would like to have multiple inputs i.e.

Chromecast - HDMI
DVD player - HDMI
Playstation - HDMI (potentially use this as the DVD player)
and if possible an old PS2 with an RCA in - yellow, red black plugs

Is there a unit available that you can plug multiple inputs into, and select which one goes through? I can find lots of HDMI switches - but this doesnt solve the problem that the stereo is RCA. Thanks in advance

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Your NAD is designed for stereo music, and nothing more. It is not compatible with any application where video is involved. For that you need a suitable component like an audio video receiver (AVR)and handles both audio and video signals. An AVR will have HDMI inputs to accommodate the devices you listed, as well as an HDMI output to your projector.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I dont know what i am doing

I have a system I am setting up where I have an RCA in to the stereo (NAD C372), and an HDMI in to the projector (not purchased yet)

I would like to have multiple inputs i.e.

Chromecast - HDMI
DVD player - HDMI

Is there a unit available that you can plug multiple inputs into, and select which one goes through? I can find lots of HDMI switches - but this doesnt solve the problem that the stereo is RCA. Thanks in advance
Unfortunately what you are looking for would be an illegal device. It would contravene Digital Rights Management, known as DRM. HDMI is a two way connection with constant verification that you are not a pirate stealing content. It does this via HDCP codes.

So unfortunately you NAD unit is totally obsolete and not of use in the environment you wish to create. So you need a modern AV receiver.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Chromecast - HDMI
DVD player - HDMI

With all due respect to @TLS Guy and @WaynePflughaupt, there are solutions which will do exactly what you are asking for...

What you need is a HDMI switcher to switch between your different components. Your analog PS2 is crap. But, if you want to use it, you likely will need to use a scaler to take it from composite (yellow) video to HDMI. So, two different pieces you will need at least.

HDMI Switching + audio extraction:

That gives you 3 HDMI connections with one HDMI output, and red/white analog audio which you can feed into your stereo integrated amplifier. (NAD)

If you want a larger HDMI switcher, to allow for additional sources, you can get something like this:

Analog audio extraction is common in the commercial market as devices have dropped their analog connection points. It is NOT illegal to extract analog audio and is a common feature on many devices. Most displays output optical audio, which is easy to convert to analog audio, and many displays output analog audio. Not that this will apply to you, but just shows that the conversion is not illegal at all, and products are easy to find which do exactly what you want.

That SECOND switch I linked supports 4K video, which may be important if you get a nicer projector that is 4K.

For your PS2...

That will convert your composite video (yellow) and analog audio (red/white) to HDMI to go into whatever switcher you purchase.

OPTION: Get a separate HDMI switcher and analog audio extractor.
Any of a long list like this...

And a HDMI audio extractor like this:

This way you can get as big of a HDMI switch as you want/need, and just have the audio extractor in line with it.

Lots of options, not a ton of money. All will work fine with your existing NAD product.

J

JayHamo

Audiophyte
Thanks so much @BMXTRIX - thats exactly what I was looking for! I have had the same problem before and ended up buying a super expensive OPPO DVD player to solve the problem but that switch is a much better solution. Stoked!

J

JayHamo

Audiophyte
Also - yes PS1 and PS2 is crap, but plays old school games!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis