HDMI over ethernet?

R

RX Rider

Audiophyte
I just moved into a condo that has a media closet with wiring to speakers throughout the house. I bought a OnkyoTX NR696 that will power the home theater, and audio. Super excited to hook it up to the TV via HDMI until I discovered some idiot CUT the end of the HDMI cable!!!!!!! The HDMI cable is in the media cabinet and marked to the TV, the cable routed through the walls and someone living there before me cut the end of the HDMI cable that would have plugged into the TV. I'm just sick over this.....but I want to solve this!

Here is my question. There are two ethernet cables that I can ping that go from the media closet to where the TV is. I'm using one for internet and the other is available. Is there a way to use the available ethernet cable to run HDMI between the TV and receiver to set up my home theater? Is there a wireless HDMI option. The TV is about 40 feet from the receiver and there are two walls between them.

I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to give some advice.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just moved into a condo that has a media closet with wiring to speakers throughout the house. I bought a OnkyoTX NR696 that will power the home theater, and audio. Super excited to hook it up to the TV via HDMI until I discovered some idiot CUT the end of the HDMI cable!!!!!!! The HDMI cable is in the media cabinet and marked to the TV, the cable routed through the walls and someone living there before me cut the end of the HDMI cable that would have plugged into the TV. I'm just sick over this.....but I want to solve this!

Here is my question. There are two ethernet cables that I can ping that go from the media closet to where the TV is. I'm using one for internet and the other is available. Is there a way to use the available ethernet cable to run HDMI between the TV and receiver to set up my home theater? Is there a wireless HDMI option. The TV is about 40 feet from the receiver and there are two walls between them.

I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to give some advice.
Your only solution is to replace the HDMI cable. If you can't pull the cable through then you need a new HDMI cable. Also new receivers require powered active HDMI cables if the run is longer than twelve feet. I suspect you have a long run, and that the existing HDMI cable would be no use to you any way.

There is no wireless solution.

It sounds to me that more likely than not you will have to open up the walls. When you do, make sure you place conduit, so you can easily replace cables. HDMI cables become obsolete and cable failures are far from unknown. The end may well have been cut off that cable, because it failed.

Tech tubes that you can purchase at Home Depot, are a good cheap way to lay conduit.

The rule that should never be broken is that you run all AV cables in walls, via conduit, no exceptions.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are ways to run HDMI over ethernet and wireless (only in Line of sight)

Your results may vary depending on ethernet cable type/quality/length - so try to order from a place you could return to.

There are even full 4k HDMI 2.0 HDCP2.2 products out there like this one:

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

This has been done for more than ten years with varying degrees of success.
The first set of HDMI extenders (they're NOT baluns) didn't work, even after I reterminated the Cat5e, but the second set has been working flawlessly for ten years.

'HDMI extender' is what you want to search for but don't expect the cheapest ones to be great. They may work, but they may not do everything you want, especially if you want to use the TV's tuner and ARC for the audio.

Any way to find out who cut the end off? They should be billed for any costs incurred to get this to work.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
HDBaseT (HDBT) is not a Ethernet solution. It's a point to point connection using the category cabling that you have. So, if you have a spare network cable that runs from the location where your receiver is, to the TV location, you can pull that cable off the network, and use instead for point to point extension of HDMI. The statement that you must replace the HDMI cable is VERY incorrect.

That said, HDBT does introduce lag into the system which is certainly noticeable if you play games. So, be aware of that.

HDBT also does not support audio return channel (ARC), so you will need to have all of your equipment plugged into the AV receiver.

Be aware that HDBT is point to point. So, you must have a single cable between the two. It does not use your home network.
Be aware that the HDBT unit linked above from Atlona is just a RECEIVER. You need both a transmitter and a receiver for HDBT to work. So, about $500 or more for a quality set.

ARE THERE NETWORK BASED SOLUTIONS?
Yes, there are. They can be just as expensive as HDBT solutions, and they can be FAR more complex for things to work properly. I've used systems from Crestron and each transmitter/receiver was about $1,000 and I had to use a very high quality network switch for it to work. So, a $500 Cisco switch, plus several thousand dollars worth of networked HDMI transmitters/receivers for it all to work properly. It did work great, but it was a long way from budget friendly.

Be aware that 4K HDMI extenders mostly do NOT do HDR 4K/60. This is significant and worth noting as they are very deceptive in their advertising. Look for 4K/60/4:4:4 or a reference to 18Gb/s support from their extender. If they specifically say 4K/30 or a lot of 4:2:0 support, then it indicates that the unit only supports 10Gb/s HDMI. This is a HUGE problem when you have a TV which requests a 4K/60, 18Gb/s signal, and your receiver can deliver it, but the HDMI extender doesn't support it.

An example of one that doesn't support 4K/60 4:4:4:

An example of one which does:

Yeah, there's a significant price difference.

Would I try something like this?

Maybe, but it would still be a point to point connection, and I'd get it from Amazon and be darn sure I had a good return policy if it didn't work.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, get that receiver into the same room as the TV and get a another Airplay 2 capable unit for the speakers in the other rooms. Then, you can send the same music to both units from an iOS device at the same time. I'd hardwire both of them to the network with ethernet cables. That is a very long run for an HDMI cable and, when dealing with an issue, I'm sure it will get old having to run from one room to the other to fix it. The work arounds are expensive and not guaranteed to work. The Onkyo has but seven powered channels. So, what is the setup you had planned? 5.1 in main room with just two channels for the rest of the place? It limits you all the way around. I'd get the Onkyo near the TV and get something else for the rest of the place. Don't be too upset about that cut cable. It would not have worked to get a 4K signal and ARC between the TV and receiver. It was too long and, I'm pretty sure, too old as well.

highfigh

highfigh

HDBaseT (HDBT) is not a Ethernet solution. It's a point to point connection using the category cabling that you have. So, if you have a spare network cable that runs from the location where your receiver is, to the TV location, you can pull that cable off the network, and use instead for point to point extension of HDMI. The statement that you must replace the HDMI cable is VERY incorrect.

Maybe, but it would still be a point to point connection, and I'd get it from Amazon and be darn sure I had a good return policy if it didn't work.
Just Add Power might have something, but they usually operate as a system for wider distribution.

I guess he could do what the nobk at one company offered as a BS solution to their cable that had stopped passing the signal during the warranty, but they wouldn't cover it- he wrote that since the cable has four shielded conductors, I could cut the ends off, terminate with RJ45 and use one of their HDMI extenders, which retailed for about $300 at the time. Sure, he wants me to tell my customer that their $100 HDMI cable needs to be replaced and that they need to spend another $300 plus labor and parts PLUS the trip charge since the place is 3 hours from here, all because their shytty cable stopped working DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD.

I think not.

R

RX Rider

Audiophyte
WOW! Thank you all for sharing your ideas and expertise. I'm blown away by the great responses!!! You have given me some great options to consider. I'll share my final setup when put all the puzzle pieces together.

R

RX Rider

Audiophyte
Honestly, get that receiver into the same room as the TV and get a another Airplay 2 capable unit for the speakers in the other rooms. Then, you can send the same music to both units from an iOS device at the same time. I'd hardwire both of them to the network with ethernet cables. That is a very long run for an HDMI cable and, when dealing with an issue, I'm sure it will get old having to run from one room to the other to fix it. The work arounds are expensive and not guaranteed to work. The Onkyo has but seven powered channels. So, what is the setup you had planned? 5.1 in main room with just two channels for the rest of the place? It limits you all the way around. I'd get the Onkyo near the TV and get something else for the rest of the place. Don't be too upset about that cut cable. It would not have worked to get a 4K signal and ARC between the TV and receiver. It was too long and, I'm pretty sure, too old as well.
I like your idea of getting the receiver in the same room as the TV. The priority is a super home theater system and high quality music listening. I'm not a gamer. I like the simplicity of ARC because you only need one remote. There are 5 speakers in the TV room built into the ceiling. 3 above the TV (center, left and right) and two rear speakers. Those speaker wires are located in the media closet. So how to I connect to those speakers if I move the receiver to where the TV is?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, you’d have to get into the attic and put the wires down a wall. But, I actually wouldn’t use three of them at all. I’d get new speakers for the fronts and sides. Two of the ceiling speakers could be used for atmos in a 5.1.2 setup but that would depending on their placement in the ceiling and your seating arrangement. I know it seems like a waste, but they never should have put those speakers in the ceiling. It was a real popular thing to do about twenty years ago and many people opted for them when building new homes. I’m sure some still do it. Some can be salvaged as atmos speakers or background music speakers but aren’t optimal for mains in a home theater or serious music listening. There are many ways to go with speakers and many here with experience with many different manufacturers who are more than willing to help. So, welcome to the forums!

B

BBAarre

Audiophyte
You must felt terrible to see a damaged HDMI cable then. I agree with above the installation with the conduit. And if anybody is seeing this and want to renew their wiring, pick a higher category (I would prefer at least cat6a) for future proof.

HDMI over ethernet is taken as HDMI transmission over an ethernet cable sometimes. HDBT extender runs over Ethernet as well. And BTW, HDBT does support ARC (plus eARC for a higher standard) like this kit I am using:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...BTW, HDBT does support ARC (plus eARC for a higher standard) like this kit I am using...
Most HDBT kits don't support eARC, but that is a added feature which I hadn't seen on any HDBT products when I wrote my original response.
It doesn't appear that the kit you are using is actually HDBT. Not that it matters if it works well. HDBT is a chipset maintained by Valens. There are other HDMI over category cable extenders out there by others these days as well. HDBT is just what most major companies use like Panasonic, Epson, Crestron, and others. But, for a single point-to-point solution, I would certainly look at some of the others that are out there if they give me the features I want at a reasonable price point.

highfigh

highfigh

I just posted a question about this on Remote Central and hopefully, one of the product reps will reply soon, from Metra or whomever.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis