HDMI interface question.

P

PaulD

Audiophyte
What is the format of the digitial signal sent over an HDMI connection? For example if I buy a Panasonic S97 DVD player does the DVD player process the DVD data using it's MPEG decoder and deinterlacing chipset prior to transmitting the signal out over the HDMI cable? I expect this would be the case because if this is not the case and raw encoded data from the DVD is transmitted over the interface there would be little difference in the performance between a low end and high end DVD playback unit, and quality would depend almost entirely on the display and its ability to recontruct the video image from the data.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While I'm not sure of the protocols involved or the actual digital bitstream used, the data on the disc most definitely is completely read by the DVD player first.

It is digitally read, then goes through the DVD players processing and information is converted to 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i (depending on player) and then is sent via HDMI digitally to the display. At no point prior to the display device is the video signal converted out of the digital realm. Though, processing most definitely does occur to the video.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
DVD deinterlace

Just about any cheap DVD player can de-interlace the signal for 480p output. A good upconversion DVD player will scale the signal to the native resolution of your TV (720p or 1080i). If the DVD player has better upscalling than that of your TV than you will see an improvement.
Also, a component video cable can send the same 720p or 1080i signal to your TV but over an analog medium rather than digital.

C

cags

Audiophyte
HDMI & Home theater

I'm new to this HDMI stuff and was wondering how it affects home theater. If the HDMI connection goes from the DVD player to the TV, does that mean the quality won't translate to 5.1 surround, which plays through the receiver? Do the receivers have HDMI, and if they do, do you have to split the HDMI from the DVD player? Thanks.
Cags

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
cags said:
I'm new to this HDMI stuff and was wondering how it affects home theater. If the HDMI connection goes from the DVD player to the TV, does that mean the quality won't translate to 5.1 surround, which plays through the receiver? Do the receivers have HDMI, and if they do, do you have to split the HDMI from the DVD player? Thanks.
Cags

Most tv's that have hdmi inputs have one of the two digital outputs. Like so ; dvd-hdmi-display-digital audio cable-reciever-speakers.

More pricey recievers have direct hdmi inputs (one or more) and one output. Like the yamaha 4600.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
cags said:
Cags
Some tvs only use HDMI for the video, so you still need an audio connection from the dvd player to the receiver and in that case you would get 5.1 surround. If the tv does accept audio over HDMI, then you would be using the tv speakers and won't get 5.1 surround unless your tv is a rare beast that has built in DD and DTS decoders.

Receivers are starting to incorporate HDMI connections. Typically they have multiple inputs and a single output. So you would connect the dvd player to the receiver HDMI and the receiver to the TV via HDMI. The receiver will send the video on to the tv for display, but will decode the audio itself.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
MDS said:
Some tvs only use HDMI for the video, so you still need an audio connection from the dvd player to the receiver and in that case you would get 5.1 surround. If the tv does accept audio over HDMI, then you would be using the tv speakers and won't get 5.1 surround unless your tv is a rare beast that has built in DD and DTS decoders.

Receivers are starting to incorporate HDMI connections. Typically they have multiple inputs and a single output. So you would connect the dvd player to the receiver HDMI and the receiver to the TV via HDMI. The receiver will send the video on to the tv for display, but will decode the audio itself.
Yes.............. but like I said some tv's also have digital audio out, like this one.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/common/getfile.asp?uuid={E8B3C1B4-21D0-43E1-8929-84CAB27288C8}

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
...and I did not and would not refute that. You posted about the same time as me. It happens.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry man I'm havin a bad day I appologize if I came off a little perturbed.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
A lot of times when you use HDMI to pass 5.1 to a TV then using the TV's digital output, you will end up only getting stereo because HDMI negotiates between the DVD and TV, and the TV will only ask for a stereo audio feed, then pass that along. This is a problem i ran into with my samsun hl-r5067w.

To get around it i pass HDMI to the tv, then use spdif or toslink or something from the play to the receiver.

P

PaulD

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback Here is the plan

What I hear is consistent with the direction I was going. Here is what I plan to do

Purchase Panasonic S97 (uses the Genesis FLI-2310 LF Deinterlacer)
Take the HDMI output to a Sony KDF-E60A20 LCD TV
Take a TOSLINK Audio out to the input on a Marantz SR7400

I have installed the reciever with 4 Cambridge Soundworks S300 surrounds, a P1000 subwoofer, 2 Large tower fronts (With custom crossovers and cabinet which I built. 2x10" woofers, 1x5" midrange, and 1 horn tweeter) and an Infinity Alpha Center channel. I still need to go around with a sound level meter and fine tune the placement of the sub and front speakers
The goal here was to be 7.1 capable.

The output for the sub and the crossover for the front woofers is 80Hz.
The room is 32'x21' and the seating is located 15' from the TV.

C

cags

Audiophyte
Soooo..I hookup HDMI from the dvd player to the receiver, and from the receiver to the TV. How about the cable box (which looks like it's DVI)? Would I hook that up to the receiver, too? Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
cags said:
How about the cable box (which looks like it's DVI)? Would I hook that up to the receiver, too? Thanks.
I would, but then I believe its best to run everything through the receiver for ease of switching. Some prefer a direct connection to the tv. You can buy cables that adapt from dvi to hdmi if the cable box only has dvi.

C

cags

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks MDS for your advice. It still seems hard to believe that all the audio and video goes through the receiver. Sounds very interesting.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis