Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hi gang. Friend of mine front lines a band that includes a video show. They played at the Olde Walkerville Theatre in Windsor Ontario last Saturday but couldn't use their projection system for lack of a long enough HDMI run as his Mac Mini is on stage but the projector connection was at the sound board. It was about a 30 meter or 100 foot run. He can't afford the Bullet Train AOC cables as they are $430 US for 100'. Only other option I can think of is an HDMI extender using CAT6a cabling.

Anyone have experience with the PWAY extenders? I was looking at something like this which has HDMI pass through and IR support for a little more flexibility. Any specific brands or models that someone can recommend for road use? Any issues to be aware of with the Mac Mini (which can be finicky sometimes recognizing the HDMI connection)?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi gang. Friend of mine front lines a band that includes a video show. They played at the Olde Walkerville Theatre in Windsor Ontario last Saturday but couldn't use their projection system for lack of a long enough HDMI run as his Mac Mini is on stage but the projector connection was at the sound board. It was about a 30 meter or 100 foot run. He can't afford the Bullet Train AOC cables as they are $430 US for 100'. Only other option I can think of is an HDMI extender using CAT6a cabling.

Anyone have experience with the PWAY extenders? I was looking at something like this which has HDMI pass through and IR support for a little more flexibility. Any specific brands or models that someone can recommend for road use? Any issues to be aware of with the Mac Mini (which can be finicky sometimes recognizing the HDMI connection)?
Have a look at the following link. TLS Guy is an excellent source for such question:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Have a look at the following link. TLS Guy is an excellent source for such question:
Thanks, I remember that discussion but didn't see it in my search. Found a 100ft RUIPro cable for $117 Cdn which I assume would need the HDMI power adapter as well. Remember that this is for a professional mobile application. My concern would be that a slim cable might not hold up to the wear and tear of being on the road. Cat6a cables tend to be fairly robust. @TLS Guy What would you recommend where the setup has to be portable and the cable may get stepped on?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
At this point 1080p HDMI extenders are a dime a dozen. Many projectors have HDBT built into them, so I would get a HDBT extender over using one that is not using the HDBT standard (HD-Base-T).

I've installed and used hundreds of HDMI extenders over the years with varying degrees of success. There are a few things to keep in mind:

1. The Cat-5/6 cable between the transmitter (Tx) and receiving (Rx) units is a major point of failure. Make sure the cable used is of good quality and that if it was custom terminated, then it was done properly, and can be reterminated if the cable fails. Better is to bring a few cat-6 cables with you in case one fails.

2. The HDMI cables should be relatively short between the source and the Tx unit and the Rx unit to the display.

3. You will be carrying 1080p video or 1920x1200 video at best reliably. HDBT can carry 4K/60 video on some of the higher end units, but it is way more sketchy to get that to work properly.

4. eBay sometimes has some really high end HDBT extenders for less than $100 a pair, but test them when they arrive to ensure they work properly. I pick up Crestron gear via eBay all the time.

5. If I buy new, I've had great luck with these units:

eBay units I have bought in the past, they have a bunch of these available:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
At this point 1080p HDMI extenders are a dime a dozen. Many projectors have HDBT built into them, so I would get a HDBT extender over using one that is not using the HDBT standard (HD-Base-T).

I've installed and used hundreds of HDMI extenders over the years with varying degrees of success. There are a few things to keep in mind:

1. The Cat-5/6 cable between the transmitter (Tx) and receiving (Rx) units is a major point of failure. Make sure the cable used is of good quality and that if it was custom terminated, then it was done properly, and can be reterminated if the cable fails. Better is to bring a few cat-6 cables with you in case one fails.

2. The HDMI cables should be relatively short between the source and the Tx unit and the Rx unit to the display.

3. You will be carrying 1080p video or 1920x1200 video at best reliably. HDBT can carry 4K/60 video on some of the higher end units, but it is way more sketchy to get that to work properly.

4. eBay sometimes has some really high end HDBT extenders for less than $100 a pair, but test them when they arrive to ensure they work properly. I pick up Crestron gear via eBay all the time.

5. If I buy new, I've had great luck with these units:

eBay units I have bought in the past, they have a bunch of these available:
Thanks for info! Do you feel for a mobile application that HDBT extenders would be more robust than the RUIPro fibre optic cable? I suspect that the cable will be laying on the floor in some instances so it could get stepped on. I see a lot of Crestron HD-MD-400-C-E on Ebay. Are these any better than the J-Tech?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for info! Do you feel for a mobile application that HDBT extenders would be more robust than the RUIPro fibre optic cable? I suspect that the cable will be laying on the floor in some instances so it could get stepped on. I see a lot of Crestron HD-MD-400-C-E on Ebay. Are these any better than the J-Tech?
Crestron is extremely high end. I think the MD-400-C-E is HDBT-Lite, so it can't do more than 180 feet (or so) at 1080p resolution. They also aren't the most compact devices. I like the J-Tech, but Crestron has really high build quality. Still, Crestron has been doing HDBT for 10+ years, it is ALWAYS important to fully test anything off of eBay. Still, I use all 'used' Crestron stuff in my home 16x16 switcher, Tx units, and Rx units.

Which do I think is better? I think RUIPro makes sense for installed systems, not for systems which will be broken down and moved regularly. Ruipro fiber HDMI cables are amazing because they can do full 4K/18Gb/s. This is not something HDBT does really well yet. But, if a high dollar HDMI cable gets messed up at a event, it's not cheap to replace. If a cat-5e cable gets destroyed, a new cable costs twenty bucks.

I would assume, in a live event venue, that cables actually would be protected from people walking all over them either way. People tripping over cables is a expensive lawsuit waiting to happen. So, probably not the real worry.

Still, with how poor people often treat cables, I would rather swap out a cheap cat cable.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Crestron is extremely high end. I think the MD-400-C-E is HDBT-Lite, so it can't do more than 180 feet (or so) at 1080p resolution. They also aren't the most compact devices. I like the J-Tech, but Crestron has really high build quality. Still, Crestron has been doing HDBT for 10+ years, it is ALWAYS important to fully test anything off of eBay. Still, I use all 'used' Crestron stuff in my home 16x16 switcher, Tx units, and Rx units.

Which do I think is better? I think RUIPro makes sense for installed systems, not for systems which will be broken down and moved regularly. Ruipro fiber HDMI cables are amazing because they can do full 4K/18Gb/s. This is not something HDBT does really well yet. But, if a high dollar HDMI cable gets messed up at a event, it's not cheap to replace. If a cat-5e cable gets destroyed, a new cable costs twenty bucks.

I would assume, in a live event venue, that cables actually would be protected from people walking all over them either way. People tripping over cables is a expensive lawsuit waiting to happen. So, probably not the real worry.

Still, with how poor people often treat cables, I would rather swap out a cheap cat cable.
OK, thanks again.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks, I remember that discussion but didn't see it in my search. Found a 100ft RUIPro cable for $117 Cdn which I assume would need the HDMI power adapter as well. Remember that this is for a professional mobile application. My concern would be that a slim cable might not hold up to the wear and tear of being on the road. Cat6a cables tend to be fairly robust. @TLS Guy What would you recommend where the setup has to be portable and the cable may get stepped on?
With current HDMI standards, they have to bite the bullet and pay for an active hybrid cable, with the video over optical and audio over copper.

I think all HDMI cables are relatively fragile. However, I have not heard that hybrid cables are any more fragile than all copper. Bands on the road, tend to be absolute morons, as far a equipment care is concerned. Moronic behavior has a cost. Taking just a little extra time to care for your gear, increases your bottom line!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
With current HDMI standards, they have to bite the bullet and pay for an active hybrid cable, with the video over optical and audio over copper.

I think all HDMI cables are relatively fragile. However, I have not heard that hybrid cables are any more fragile than all copper. Bands on the road, tend to be absolute morons, as far a equipment care is concerned. Moronic behavior has a cost. Taking just a little extra time to care for your gear, increases your bottom line!
It should be noted though that current HDMI standards are much more built around the residential installation, not the commercial venue. Text is impossible to read on a 4K projector, and 1080p is a much better overall standard. This is achievable with far lower cost components and the actual needed resolution should be the goal, not the 'maximum possible', because it is the maximum possible.

Spending more, for zero benefit, and lower reliability, is poor engineering.

If they aren't bringing their own projector as the equipment in use, and aren't bringing native 4K gear, then it is super unlikely that they need any 4K capability in the setup.

That said, if that IS the requirement, then considerations may change. It still means that a copper piece of cat-6 is way less money than a broken fiber HDMI cable.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

He's using a Mac Mini as his source, so I am pretty sure that it's just 1080 and not 4k. I've known him since high school and know how careful he is with his gear. ;) While most venues will keep the cable out of harms way, you also have to plan for the worst case scenario.

The RUIPro cable is much more affordable than Bullet Train, but he would have to get two to have a spare. With the HDBT extenders, the units are pretty robust so the CAT6 cable becomes the weak link in the chain but those cables are cheap and easy to obtain. You do end up with 3 points of possible failure: the TX, cable and RX, while the hybrid cable is a two piece solution, assuming that an HDMI power adapter is required. If the cable is the most likely point of failure, there is sense in opting for HDBT where 4k is not required.

Thanks for the input.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
We have a 40 foot high bandwidth HDMI cable going from receiver to a native 4k projector.

We like to watch UHD movies and take full advantage of the native 4k.

Unfortunately we need to move the projector roughly another 10 feet, and there is no way to pull the cable back through.

So need to figure out an HDMI extender.

This system seems to have gotten good reviews on Amazon - is there something that you recommend as gold standard?
Which system on Amazon?

Do you know what kind of cable is in there now? Is it a passive cable, powered, optical HDMI? Best thing of course is a single cable which can always be done by cutting drywall and patching. If it's a powered or optical HDMI cable, you might get away with a passive HDMI extender (female to male) for $20 but no guarantee that will work. I'm not certain if you can daisy chain powered or optical cables. An HDMI extender using CAT6 cable would work, but you would have the transmitter box in the middle of the run 10 feet from your projector, so not ideal. A 10 or 20 foot optical cable would be ideal, but they typically have male connectors on both ends so what to do about connecting the male end or your current cable to the male end of another cable? There are female to female couplers for $10, but I'm not certain how well a 40 ft cable with a coupler and another 10 ft cable will work at 4k. Every extra connection can lead to issues. Any thoughts @BMXTRIX ?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
i don't have enough information about this
Hard to recommend anything without knowing what is currently in use. If you're willing to experiment, a $20 female to male HDMI extender might be worth a shot, and hopefully the seller has a return policy. You can try the extender before moving the projector. If the extender causes issues, then you are likely better off to have a professional installer replace the existing cable with a hybrid HDMI optical cable of the appropriate length. A good installer will minimize the number drywall repairs needed afterwards.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
We have a 40 foot high bandwidth HDMI cable going from receiver to a native 4k projector.

We like to watch UHD movies and take full advantage of the native 4k.

Unfortunately we need to move the projector roughly another 10 feet, and there is no way to pull the cable back through.

So need to figure out an HDMI extender.

This system seems to have gotten good reviews on Amazon - is there something that you recommend as gold standard?
Did you just come into someone elses thread and ask a different question than the original post?
Please post your own thread with your specific question in it so that you get answers focused on your question.
I definitely have some answers, but I'd rather not take part in threadjacking from the original post that was going on.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis