HDMI Connection not Permitted

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I could try the reset. How do you do a soft reset? Is that unplugging the receiver? Assuming a hard reset is resetting to manufacture settings?
I think the problem is most likely the TIVO player. Tivo is basically obsolete. A bit of research on the Internet shows that Tivo are no longer properly supporting devices, and deactivating some. Cable companies are no longer required to support TIVO and many do not, so you have to use their DVRs.
So I suspect that either Tivo, or more likely your cable, or satellite company have bricked your Tivo.

The other issue is that it could be HDMI incompatibility after an update. Your Tivo is version 1.4 your TV HDCP 2.2. Now there is supposed to be backward compatibility, but I can tell you from personal experience there is not.

I think your problems will be solved of you get rid of the Tivo player. When you connect your Tivo to the TV repeater architecture is not required. When you go via the receiver it is. So my original hunch that your problem was a repeater architecture problem, was broadly correct. However I now think your issue is obsolete HDCP codes on the Tivo player. There is pretty much universal opinion on the Net it seems, that Tivo is basically done for multiple reasons.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah resets are worth a try. Soft first (unplugging it) to start, full reset if that does squat....

I wonder if while you were away you had an electrical surge/spike that changed things up?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It could be what TLS is saying, too. If other gear that may be passing HDCP is working, but not the Tivo, that would definitely throw things back that way.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’d restart the TiVo and unplug the TV as well. Not sure the age of the TiVo Pace, but it may very well be HDCP 1.4 while the receiver is HDCP 2.2. Issues do come up with the 1.4 devices. They are getting left behind. Sometimes changing UHD HDR settings can help get a picture back from an older device. You would turn off “Enhanced” mode in the TV HDMI settings. You can check the Pioneer’s settings by turning it on and then pressing and holding the “dimmer” button on the front panel. While holding it, press the “auto/direct” button. It will display the current setting, either “Enhanced” or “Standard”. To change it, keep holding the “dimmer” button and press the “auto/direct” button again. Setting the TV and Pioneer to “Standard” mode may work. If not, you would need to leave the TiVo connected to the TV and activate ARC and HDMI-CEC to get audio back to the receiver. Alternatively, you could connect an optical or coaxial cable from the TiVo to the receiver to get audio.

S

SandyB

Enthusiast
Yes, try unplugging it.
I've actually unplugged TV, Tivo, and receiver. Hard reset the TV but nothing else. Updated firmware for the receiver. Reading other forums I see a mention of firmware update on Tivo that may have caused this. I just don't know which version.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes you should just ignore firmware updates unless it specifically addresses a problem you have, too. I'd hard reset the avr now tho....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
SandyB, call Tivo Tech and see what they have to say. Tell them it has worked for years and now it does not. I find that the tech guys are pretty good at times.

The other experiment is to try different order turning on equipment. At times that may work.

Or, may have to go direct to tv and tv to receiver for sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis