T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
HDMI cables, snake oil or not?

I’ve had some issues with my Marantz 5014, one of which my 10 year old likes watching TV with just TV sound. When I want to watch I turn on the AVR and get no signal, I have to unplug the AVR and plug it back in to get signal back. I would also get some static or minor popping when switching between Netflix, Amazon Prime or when switching between songs on iTunes. Marantz said they won’t do anything until I get better HDMI cables.

I picked up some Etheriel that met their spec cheap from accessories4less and I’m trying to determine what’s a real difference and what’s placebo. Where static was it’s totally gone or occasionally I get a millisecond of no signal but no static or popping (which was minor). My TV is a base model 1080P that I got at a company Christmas party about 7 years ago. I feel like the picture is noticeably better, not a lot but noticeable. Also the refresh rate seems better but I’m not sure if I’m just imagining it. My previous cables, one came with a Comcast cable box and one was from Walmart and I think in a box marked 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HDMI cables essentially either work or they don't and are generally about bandwidth as far as capabilities go. Hard to know what your previous cables were but 4k isn't an hdmi designation for cables. https://hdmi.org/resource/cables The avr not getting signal sounds more like an hdmi handshake issue, which happens to many of us no matter what cable is involved. The static/minor popping doesn't sound like a cable issue but I suppose it's possible. Which Ethereal hdmi cable did you get? I see several on A4L. I would think it's more in your head about any change in picture quality and don't see how it possibly could have anything to do with your refresh rate. HDMI overall definitely has some issues, but basic hdmi cables aren't snake oil, altho some sold by outfits like Audioquest would be dipped in it.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I forget which cables I got and they’re out of stock now but they had to be DPL certified. They were Etheriel and I think I paid about $10 a cable, after checking it was from Safe and Sound.

IMG_0298.jpg

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
So DPL lab certification is BS? Is there minimum GB per second recommendation for HD, Blue ray or 4K?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know DPL, you can inquire at hdmi.org....did you look at the certifications for various cables/speeds I linked earlier? Look around from there. There may be some bullshit with Sound United demanding certain cable certification by a particular company (but it may be one of the few or only ones, don't know) before being of more assistance, tho. Maybe describe more of your system, including cable length involved....but your issues may not be cable related (and I'd say are unlikely to be).

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Cable length is 1 m. I don’t think that the HDMI cables are the problem either but Marantz tech-support said I had to fix that before they would do any further diagnostic and guaranteed if I sent it into them that they wouldn’t find anything and I’d have to pay for shipping both ways. Just run from Xbox one X to the 5014 Marantz to an older 1080 P television.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like the issue was taken care of by the cable swap or are you still having issues you need help from Marantz with (and customer service like this is not likely going to be all that good to begin with)?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis