HDMI Cable between Explorer 8300HD and BenQ PE7700

Z

zaukul

Audiophyte
Hi, I recently got a BenQ PE7700 projector, and a Scientific America Explorer 8300HD DVR from Time Warner in New York. I just bought an HDMI cable to use the digital output from the Explorer box, but when I hooked it up between the projector and the DVR, the DVR just started outputting a black screen with the text "Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch television." from all it's outputs. According to my information, the BenQ PE7700 projector does support HDCP, so I don't know why this is happening. I was hoping someone more experienced than me could give me some help. I'm really stumped. Thanks in advance.

Aaron

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
If your activation sequence is:

- Power on the projector
- Power on the SA8300HD

and you get the black screen then there's a problem. And it appears to be more of a cable problem than an HDCP problem.

Are you using a length of HDMI cable which would be deemed excessive? Can't say when that happens but it's worth finding out.

Other than the above, I would contact TW and provide them with your TV make and model and request verification with Scientific Atlanta if there is an HDCP problem for the handshake with that model using the present O/S version of your DVR.

I have seldom read the existence of such a problem with the SA8300HD using HDMI.

On the other hand I have an HDCP problem connecting my SA8000HD to my Toshiba. But with my version of SARA, which enables DVI, at least I get all internal data from the DVR such as Guide, Settings, Diagnostic pages. I am awaiting download of an alternative SARA software version from my cable company designed to have HDCP compatible with certain TV's.

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Aaron: Is Time-Warner actually supporting an HDMI interface?

I have an SA 8300HD DVR and Adelphia Cable and when reading through the Scientific Atlanta Connection Manual (p.8) I noticed the HDMI instructions. I then bought an HDMI-to-DVI cable, made the proper connection to the plasma tv and then received the same message that you mentioned in your post.

To make a long story short, Adelphia does not yet support HDMI so I continue to use my PrPbY connectors. I initially presumed that this function was supported since it appeared in the manual but I presumed wrong :eek:.

In any case, I thought I'd just mention this situation before you proceeded to further trouble shoot your system.

-GeorgeM

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
GeorgeM,

Makes sense ans explains the black screen.

Wonder why TW is not updating the SA8300HD software? Most cable companies have delivered that model with a working HDMI and have not encountered problems.

Z

zaukul

Audiophyte
I sent an e-mail to Time Warner asking about the problem, and this is the responce I got:

"In reference to your inquiry please keep in mind that Time Warner Cable does not support projector connections. Please contact your manufacturer for more information concerning the HDMI port on your projector.

Currently, the DVI/HDMI connection on the SA 8300HD DVR is active and the HDMI port connects to HDTV’s HDMI input or DVI input with an adaptor cable. Time Warner Cable does not supply HDMI or DVI cables or adaptors. Please keep in mind that your HDTV must be HDCP compliant to use this output/port (HDMI/DVI).

Although the DVI/HDMI is active, Time Warner Cable does not support this connection. These boxes are available on a limited basis and can not be guaranteed for installation or pick up."​

So they say that the HDMI port is active, and I noticed that when I first plug in the HDMI cable it displays picture for a second or so before switching to that message. Does anyone know why my projector's port might not be properly communicating the HDCP authentication to the 8300HD? And Time Warner says they don't support projector connections, so I can't ask them for support.

My HDMI cable is 10' in length, I didn't think that was too long.

Maybe I'll send my problem to BenQ, see if they've seen something like it before.

Aaron

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
mfabien: Same question here - I don't why they're not updating their SA8300 software. I talked to the local cable office here and they did not know :( ...

Aaron:

"So they say that the HDMI port is active, and I noticed that when I first plug in the HDMI cable it sdisplays picture for a second or so before witching to that message. Does anyone know why my projector's port might not be properly communicating the HDCP authentication to the 8300HD? And Time Warner says they don't support projector connections, so I can't ask them for support.

My HDMI cable is 10' in length, I didn't think that was too long.

Maybe I'll send my problem to BenQ, see if they've seen something like it before."

1. The picture display for a second or so...This is the identical situation that happened in my case...

2. Ten-foot HDMI cable? What did that cost you, about $200.00 :eek: ???

3. ...problem to BenQ - hopefully, they'll be able to help!

Just another thought on TW: did you consider calling the number that you'd normally use to contact the local cable office for a routine service call? They may give you a different answer than what the main TW office gave in their email reply to you!!!

I still have a hunch that the HDMI service is not available; however, if it is, the only other item I can think of to check would be in the setup menu for your projector. I'm light year's away from being an expert in these areas so these are just some thoughts on where I'd look to resolve the problem..

-GeorgeM

Z

zaukul

Audiophyte
Actually, the ten foot HDMI cable was only around $10. I got it from monoPrice.com. Normally I might be worried it was low cable quality causing my problem, but since you had the same problem, and since it displays picture for a second or so, I think the cable works fine. I just sent an e-mail to BenQ, hopefully they can resolve the problem. I did look through the setup menu, but there didn't seem to be anything applicable to the HDMI connection.

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
"I did look through the setup menu, but there didn't seem to be anything applicable to the HDMI connection."

Aaron, on page 19 of your BenQ manual 'Switching Input Signals' - does changing anything here affect the situation? (If so, I guess they'd also be a logical change needed for PIP/POP functions in the Graphic Group Inputs [HDMI, etc] on p.22).

-G

T

tex48

Audiophyte
HDMI y connector

I would like to be able to use a Y connector on my 8300hd to support a second TV that I have hooked up to cable. When I try it with a y connector both TV on HDMI will not connect, Time warner just wants you to get a second 8300, anyone have a way I can do this...?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I would like to be able to use a Y connector on my 8300hd to support a second TV that I have hooked up to cable. When I try it with a y connector both TV on HDMI will not connect, Time warner just wants you to get a second 8300, anyone have a way I can do this...?
Y connector... connecting what to what? Don't understand.

What you could test is to connect the SA8300HD with the HDMI connection to one TV and Component connection to the other TV. If you are lucky both connections could remain in place at the SA8300HD... but there is a possibility that the DVR will not accept both connections to remain in place.

One thing is certain, you will not be able to use both TV's at the same time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis