HDMI arc connection

P

Paulbielen

Audiophyte
I have a new Sony XBR 75-940c 4k tv. Viewing and audio is perfect through direct tv and my Anthem D2v 3D preamp.
The Netflix software as well as Amazon prime ultra app software in the TV are great visually with Ultra hd coming through fine.
BUT, the audio will not push through the HDMI4 arc connect. I'm have to use the optical out, but obviously not getting what through hdmi could do. Checking with Anthem forums hdmi (arc) is not available. For a 9 thousand dollar preamp that is disappointing.
I also have an OPPO bn 105 player, but the Netflix is no where as good as through the Sony Netflix.

Help. I'm doing something wrong.
Amps are Mcintosh 601's Mac 8207 for surrounds. speakers are Revel Ultima 2 studios. And Revel Voice2.
Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a new Sony XBR 75-940c 4k tv. Viewing and audio is perfect through direct tv and my Anthem D2v 3D preamp.
The Netflix software as well as Amazon prime ultra app software in the TV are great visually with Ultra hd coming through fine.
BUT, the audio will not push through the HDMI4 arc connect. I'm have to use the optical out, but obviously not getting what through hdmi could do. Checking with Anthem forums hdmi (arc) is not available. For a 9 thousand dollar preamp that is disappointing.
I also have an OPPO bn 105 player, but the Netflix is no where as good as through the Sony Netflix.

Help. I'm doing something wrong.
Amps are Mcintosh 601's Mac 8207 for surrounds. speakers are Revel Ultima 2 studios. And Revel Voice2.
Thanks.
You are not really missing anything. HDMI audio return is the same as quality the optical out. You only get 2 channel and no loss less codecs. Very lame indeed.

The real issue is that for fine audio, you do NOT use the TV as the source ever. Once the TV is set up you only use the on off button. You should think of a TV as the video equivalent of a speaker. In other words a TV should just be an end device. The TV is just a very dumb lace to put a lot of features.

You need to select devices with the features you need to connect to your pre amp. I know the problem is that a lot of pre amps and receivers do not pass 4K video yet.

Now at 12 ft viewing distance there is really no advantage of 4k over 2k. 4K is way over sold, and certainly not worth downgrading audio for.

Remember 90% of the HT experience is audio, and 10% video.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You are not really missing anything. HDMI audio return is the same as quality the optical out. You only get 2 channel and no loss less codecs. Very lame indeed.

The real issue is that for fine audio, you do NOT use the TV as the source ever. Once the TV is set up you only use the on off button. You should think of a TV as the video equivalent of a speaker. In other words a TV should just be an end device. The TV is just a very dumb lace to put a lot of features.

You need to select devices with the features you need to connect to your pre amp. I know the problem is that a lot of pre amps and receivers do not pass 4K video yet.

Now at 12 ft viewing distance there is really no advantage of 4k over 2k. 4K is way over sold, and certainly not worth downgrading audio for.

Remember 90% of the HT experience is audio, and 10% video.
Yes I checked your Anthem unit is not the version that will pass Ultra HD video.

They say the unit is able to be upgraded at some time. I suppose that will mean a few thousand dollar HDMI board upgrade.

To be honest, I think these high end pre/pros at the prices they command are a total waste of money. They are always out of date by the time they hit the market. You are better off choosing units that you can afford to replace if you want.

With you unit you can have a state of the art picture, or state of the art audio but not both.

Ask Anthem when they will have an HDMI board that will handle Ultra HD.

P

Paulbielen

Audiophyte
Yes I checked your Anthem unit is not the version that will pass Ultra HD video.

They say the unit is able to be upgraded at some time. I suppose that will mean a few thousand dollar HDMI board upgrade.

To be honest, I think these high end pre/pros at the prices they command are a total waste of money. They are always out of date by the time they hit the market. You are better off choosing units that you can afford to replace if you want.

With you unit you can have a state of the art picture, or state of the art audio but not both.

Ask Anthem when they will have an HDMI board that will handle Ultra HD.
Thanks for the fast reply.
I knew the Anthem does not provide 4k pass through but that does not matter to me. The ease of somehow getting the sound with one cable is what i was hoping. No problem, 2 cables and the Amthem deals with the rest.
I had an idea that the optical out would suffice but still not getting the sony hdmi/arc to even work through the OPPO suggest the arc might not be working on the tv.

But doesn't really matter as 5.1 is has high as Netflix goes anyhow. So just need to press any extra button on the remotes to get what I want.
I really cant get much better than what I have. And a thousand dollars to have some tech come out to calibrate is stupid. Sony just sent through another software update and the picture is even better. Might look into the new LG OLED 77 inch if my lotto ticket comes through.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis