Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Can most any HDMI be used for ARC? I have been using optical from TV to Yamaha AVR in both my systems (5.1.2 and 5.2.2 both with front presence or height). But I learned that I have been selling myself short and want to switch to Arcs now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As always it's about the bandwidth needed. So short answer, maybe. You don't miss much with ARC in any case as its limited to lossy multich codecs like optical, altho ARC would probably be better if you're streaming something with DD+ Atmos. What do you think you're short on?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I happened upon a youtube vid about optical vs. hdmi arc. He said that optical is limited to 5 ch plus the sub. (I would say 5.1, but of course, it's the receiver that decides if it's 5.1 or 5.2). And since I go 7 channels, I thought I better change it up, even though I hate ARC. Perhaps I can get used to it and live with it. Wondering what I am missing with my FP's. My AVR lights up all channels when in the proper DSP modes. I am guessing that that doesn't mean it is getting 7 channels. Whadya think?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, there isn't really any "5.2" out there.....the .2 generally just refers to a second sub, usually just on an internal splitter so identical signal, too. Most streaming is only 5.1 lossy anyways. What audio do you really need to source out of your tv, tho? An upmixer could use all the channels your avr can offer, tho. The newer version of eARC can handle lossless, but same question really, what lossless audio out of a tv do you need to grab?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Right. That's what I just said about .1, .2.
I just said above that I am wondering what I am missing from my FP's. Could be more. Perhaps I have never heard them the way they should be heard since I had only optical hooked up.
I hope I don't hate Arc again!!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
3 year old Sony 65 inch/Yam RX A1060; Roku 55/ Yam RX A670.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right. That's what I just said about .1, .2.
I just said above that I am wondering what I am missing from my FP's. Could be more. Perhaps I have never heard them the way they should be heard since I had only optical hooked up.
I hope I don't hate Arc again!!
What is an FP? Front Presence speakers? That's an Atmos format?

The avr would output to both subs with any 5.1 content, it's not quite the same as the avr creating extra surround content from lossy codecs....

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Sorry. Don't don't know what lossy or codec means!
Yeah. FP = front presence. Similar to atmos I suppose. But does not reflect or bounce.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry. Don't don't know what lossy or codec means!
Yeah. FP = front presence. Similar to atmos I suppose. But does not reflect or bounce.
Dolby Digital (also known as AC3) is a 5.1 lossy codec. Dolby Digital Plus is also a lossy codec, but has capabilities for 7ch as well as Atmos metadata (but not the actual lossless Atmos soundtrack). The lossless codecs from Dolby are Dolby True HD and Dolby Atmos (or from DTS would be DTS MA-HD or DTS:X). Basically like mp3 being an audio codec, it's a way to save file space but retaining most of the useful information. DVDs are lossy inherently, lossless came with the extra capabilities of bluray discs. Streaming is generally lossy via DD/DD+.

I'm not up on how Yamaha might handle Atmos via FP, or if that's something slightly different from using Atmos metadata altogether (like creating an extra surround channel like old front heights did). So maybe you're "missing" a little bit of content, but not likely very much that you can't get just using your Dolby Surround upmixer....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It’s only worth going down the ARC road IF both TVs can stream in DD+/atmos. The Sony may not have been able when new, but may be able after firmware updates. Look up both TVs and check it out. And, though a TV may be able to do it, that doesn’t mean each and every app supports atmos on that TV.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am trying it in my living room system. If it makes a diff, I'll change the bedroom system too. If not, I will likely go back to optical. Right now, my AVR is downloading a firmware update. I will also recalibrate in case the settings set up forgot the previous measurements.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Not Atmos. But maybe you say that referring to FP also.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It’s only worth going down the ARC road IF both TVs can stream in DD+/atmos. The Sony may not have been able when new, but may be able after firmware updates. Look up both TVs and check it out. And, though a TV may be able to do it, that doesn’t mean each and every app supports atmos on that TV.
I'll add that to use ARC you has to enable HDMI-CEC in the TV and the receiver, and that can give some frustration to make it work properly. If you already use HDMI-CEC, go ahead and try ARC out.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, that’s what I meant about going down that road, that scary, scary road.:eek:

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I hate Arc so much. I am going back to optical in my living room system. That TV is also connected to my computer system (Pioneer stereo receiver, Axiom speakers and a Klipsch floor firing 10" sub) . The receiver allows me to switch from TV audio to computer audio). I want to be the one who decides if my main system AVR comes on or not! It sounded great before I monkeyed with it last night.
My bedroom system system though, I can definitely live with Arc there.
If it's ok with all y'all, can I ask about speaker size and freq settings?
Living room: Yam RX A1060, mains are Klipsch Forte II, center is a Klipsch Heresy II (or KP-201 which is the pro version of Heresy II), rear surrounds are upgraded and suped up Radio shack Minimus 77 (5" metal cone woofers), FP's are suped up Minimus 7's (4" woofers). And an incredible HSU 12" subwoofer that I heard about from this very forum. Thank you very much, btw!
Bedroom system: Yam RX A670, mains are Klipsch Heresy III, center is a Klipsch Academy, rear surrounds and FP's are suped up Minimus 7's. And two 10" 300 watt Klipsch subs.
I built 5 sets of those Radio Shack speakers that are all over the house. The 5th set is in a stereo set up in a 3rd bedroom that I call a den. This is all in my 2018 mobile home. ha. All 5 sets have modern crossovers, new, tight gold plated terminals from Parts Xpress and 4 sets have Miller and Kreisel tweeters.
If someone can tell me size and freq settings for both HT systems, it would be appreciated.
I am no expert at any of this. The only thing I can do is follow instructions. ha.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Have you ever run YPAO on both of them?
Yes. Doing it again now on living room system, now that I'm back to optical. Just in case it forgets that info after going through set-up again. Does YPAO set those setting automatically? I thought it just measured distance.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It will set crossover levels as well. You may not like them and can adjust them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis