hdmi and audio cables for rack move

B

BBAarre

Audiophyte
My media rack is in the basement and I am using this HDBT extender to connect my projector in the TV room upstairs. It has been working well for me. While I am planning to move my rack to the room around 40-50ft away from the TV room. I am thinking of putting the extender for other use and replacing it with an optical HDMI cable. Maybe one that supports up to 50ft among these? While I saw some discussions about how long HDMI cables are worthless.
1. Does an optical HDMI cable reliable to transmit 1080p/4K@60 over this distance? Looks like most optical cables extend about 35ft.
2. My TV has the built-in ARC function and any spdif cables could go this length to my receiver?
3. Or shall I better keep the extender setup to stay with the best result? (no arc though. maybe a digital audio cable would help?
Already have an arc extender working reliably but I don't want to spend more for this setup. Looking for a cost-efficient solution.
Thx

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A quality HDMI fiber hybrid cable is going to be in the $100 range, and is best served by using a external power supply/inserter.

Hybrid HDMI cables can go well beyond 50' without issue as the main data is on fiber while less important information is carried on copper. It's a solid solution, but it does have active chips in it to perform the fiber conversion, so it needs power. In theory, this power can be supplied by the connected HDMI gear, but it is safer and more reliable to use a HDMI power inserter.

I've used this cable several times in the past with good results...

This is the HDMI power inserter that others have recommended (I bought one, but haven't used it yet)...

Be aware, that if this is a DIFFICULT location to run cabling to, then please run a couple of category 6 cables to that location from the equipment location so that you can use them in the future as you need to.

As for ARC or audio out of your TV.... WHAT THE HELL MAN!!! Just get a streaming device like a Roku. Are you connecting an antenna to the TV? The top rule for most decent installations is to just NOT use internal apps or functionality built into a TV. It tends to be poor, bad, or just unusable. Or, when it does work, it causes headaches with the setup. Maybe ARC works, maybe not. Depends on how well it was implemented across ALL of the connected devices. That said, optical audio out of a TV works perfectly fine, up to the capabilities of the TV itself. Long fiber cables aren't overly expensive.

HDBT extenders are great and you get a very specific custom length out of them with the connected cables which is nice. They also can be upgraded to newer models with added features (like ARC). But, they are pricey to get there. If your system supports 4K, then I would go with a fiber HDMI cable instead of HDBT if it works within the system.

B

BBAarre

Audiophyte
A quality HDMI fiber hybrid cable is going to be in the $100 range, and is best served by using a external power supply/inserter.

Hybrid HDMI cables can go well beyond 50' without issue as the main data is on fiber while less important information is carried on copper. It's a solid solution, but it does have active chips in it to perform the fiber conversion, so it needs power. In theory, this power can be supplied by the connected HDMI gear, but it is safer and more reliable to use a HDMI power inserter.

I've used this cable several times in the past with good results...

This is the HDMI power inserter that others have recommended (I bought one, but haven't used it yet)...

Be aware, that if this is a DIFFICULT location to run cabling to, then please run a couple of category 6 cables to that location from the equipment location so that you can use them in the future as you need to.

As for ARC or audio out of your TV.... WHAT THE HELL MAN!!! Just get a streaming device like a Roku. Are you connecting an antenna to the TV? The top rule for most decent installations is to just NOT use internal apps or functionality built into a TV. It tends to be poor, bad, or just unusable. Or, when it does work, it causes headaches with the setup. Maybe ARC works, maybe not. Depends on how well it was implemented across ALL of the connected devices. That said, optical audio out of a TV works perfectly fine, up to the capabilities of the TV itself. Long fiber cables aren't overly expensive.

HDBT extenders are great and you get a very specific custom length out of them with the connected cables which is nice. They also can be upgraded to newer models with added features (like ARC). But, they are pricey to get there. If your system supports 4K, then I would go with a fiber HDMI cable instead of HDBT if it works within the system.
Thanks a lot! Haven't got time to pick up the project yet. I am gonna try the active cable. About the streaming device, my families use built-in apps a lot and find it convenient to access different sources. Maybe I will try the optical, if it doesn't work.. I got a arc extender stand by.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks a lot! Haven't got time to pick up the project yet. I am gonna try the active cable. About the streaming device, my families use built-in apps a lot and find it convenient to access different sources. Maybe I will try the optical, if it doesn't work.. I got a arc extender stand by.
A hybrid cable like Ruipro will work. They can do at least 100 ft. Make sure you use a voltage inserter and do not power it from a connected device. I have been using a 35' Ruipro cable for over three years now, with zero problems. These cables are by far the best HDMI connections out there, and I would say should be used for any HDMI run over 12'.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis