HDMI 2.0 Certifies as HDMI 2.1 by Default for 2022?!?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You can't "just use DP" as entire ecosystem would need to change, which is not going to happen any time soon. Nobody will suddently start producing AVR and TV boards with DP ports. Even consoles do not have those ports.

Realistically, consumer protection organisarions and tech laywers can help push the companies that control HDMI Org to reform itself via class action lawsuit. HDMI Org needs to be ordered by judge to restore numbering system 2.0 to minimize misleading marketing which is already taking place, as we have heard and seen. Scrapping 2.0 numbering was the worst possible anti-consumer move in the industry which caused all 2.0 devices being able to apply for 2.1 banner. Ridiculous. There is nothing good or useful for consumers in this change and this is the basis for lawsuit class action.
Boy did you take my post too seriously. I'm very aware of how much of a mess it is. You laid it out VERY well in an above post. I'm just being dense and suggesting something they should have just gone with in the beginning, but decided not to, and will never do. Just goes to show that the customer isn't the #1 priority.

I still need to invent that sarcasm font.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I still need to invent that sarcasm font.
I am ok with sarcasm. After inventing 2.0=2.1 absurdity, sarcasm will take us just as far. We need more specific action against treating consumers like complete idiots.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am ok with sarcasm. After inventing 2.0=2.1 absurdity, sarcasm will take us just as far. We need more specific action against treating consumers like complete idiots.
Agreed. It's really bad when stuff like this happens. All these terms are confusing enough for folks without the added BS surrounding HDMI since it's inception.

Granted, a significant amount of the BS comes from the cable manufacturers too.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
The only thing I can say for sure is: the passing of each new HDMI version brings less standardization (and clarity) to the consumer. I can remember writing about HDMI 2.0a when HDR compliant displays first hit the market, but it seems as though HDMI credibility has gone downhill from there.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
The only thing I can say for sure is: the passing of each new HDMI version brings less standardization (and clarity) to the consumer. I can remember writing about HDMI 2.0a when HDR compliant displays first hit the market, but it seems as though HDMI credibility has gone downhill from there.
They have never had HDMI as a standard in the first place, but as collection of features. This has been further watered down with HDMI 2.1, with all features becoming optional. Vendors can stick the lavel 2.1 on products which do not support many important features, including speeds above 18 Gbps. This is what we call anti-consumer behaviour. Class action law suit is the only way to change this, otherwise they will not self-regulate.

For something to be a standard, it needs to have compulsory set of features that work the same across the ecosystem, such as PCIe 4.0 or DisplayPort 1.4

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
HDMI has failed to deliver for years, but remains the standard which is in place for consumer and a lot of professional electronics for decades now. I remember when Extron came in to our office and touted how they were doing everything using DisplayPort because it was the future. I looked at him, said he was wrong, and that he woudl be back in a few years with all the same products but this time with HDMI interfaces on it. He assured me he would not. He was wrong.

The headache is not that HDMI sucks. It's that it sucks AND it still has become a standard which is used everywhere, all the time, by everyone, with few exceptions.

The real headache though is the lack of proper implementation with minimum feature sets included. I would say that adding some 2.1 features to a device, such as eARC, should not allow for HDMI 2.1 to be advertised as 'supported'. Yes, it's confusing. That's the whole point. It's just confusing and stupid.

As well, HDMI still doesn't carry mandatory stereo along with surround sound at the same time. So, you can't get audio to a stereo set of speakers in another room without a receiver that performs DSP on the surround mix for stereo output OR the source changing from surround sound to stereo. Silliness, and it should have been right from day one.

That's ignoring the joke that CEC is.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Been saying all that since HDMI 2.0 was first announced and Sony upclocked their HDMI 1.4 chipsets to the "gray area" between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 and was allowed to call it HDMI 2.0.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Shame on the designers for using the kind of connector they did for HDMI. We deserved to have something secure like computer DVI connections. What people will do to save a few cents.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
I've never had any issues with HDMI connections coming loose. Once in place they've stayed in place.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis