V

viggi

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Hi
I have a Denon Avr 3803 receiver and it boasts 96kHz/24 bit DACs.  I want to know if that means it can decode HDCDs or does that require a seperate decoder.  If it can, then will any CD player do, to play HDCDs or do I need a player that can specifically play HDCDs ?

I would greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks.
Viggi</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Viggi,
For info on connections and components please see hdcd.com.

I also have a denon reciever which does not decode hdcd's, however I have the sound card of my pc (which is running XP) connected to one of the analog ins (cd l/r) on the Denon.
WindowsMedia 9 decodes hdcd and will recognize it in the play bar.

The rule of thumb is if the player does the decoding the connection must be analog to the reciever and vice versa if the reciever does it, the connection from the player must be (coax or opt)
I have a separate system with an Onkyo reciever and a Tosh sd5109 (one of the first progscan dvd players) that decodes hdcd.  Again, the analog 2ch outs from the player to the Onkyo are what I use.

I'm not sure if the supsampling of cd's by some dvd players to 88.2 and 96 will render hdcd moot but if you have a Panny you might want tosee if it has a re-master option which allows for this.  Of course your reciever must be capable of recieving this upsample which my Denon 5800/03 does (but only after the upgrade to 03 status), so check your specs on the reciver before investing or activating the feature in your player.

One more thing, if you are using the player for dvd-a you should not have the re-master turned on.

good  luck,
Peter m.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis