Having issues with surround sound and can’t find helpful info

R

Rhynofooter

Enthusiast
Quick back story, bought a house that was built in 2008, and prewired for home surround sound with 2 zones, using 5 component cables.. Red, blue, green, yellow, white.. The previous homeowner left a Denon AVR-S920W. I purchased 2 Component to HDMI adapters (one for the back side of the receiver and one coming out of the wall, going to the tv). My tv is a new Samsung that doesn’t offer the component hookup on the tv itself. I’m able to use the Denon app on my phone to adjust the volume on TV, but i can’t get the surround sound to work through the speakers on the ceiling.
The surround sound works when hooked to Spotify through my phone so i know the speakers work. I’ve tried searching on here and YouTube. Any help would be much appreciated, as i am EXTREMELY novice at any of this stuff

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm confused by your description. You have the hdmi out on the avr feeding this pair of converters to utilize an in-wall set of five rca cables? Component video comprises three rca cables so I imagine the other two rca cables are audio, and likely limited to two channels of audio information, but am not familiar with such converters particularly as I've never used one....what make/model of hdmi/rca converters do you have?. You wouldn't normally use surround sound without all speakers powered by the avr, not a combination of tv speakers and avr. Are there other speakers aside from the tv's speakers involved that you're not mentioning? At least when you say adjust the volume on tv, I assume you're talking about the tv's internal speakers. Not sure how zones come into play here. Maybe describe all connections coming out of the avr might help explain some, too.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Pics! I gotta’ see this mess. No, seriously, pics. We are flying blind here. Get some of the wires in the wall, your speaker setup and the back of the TV and the Denon.

R

Rhynofooter

Enthusiast
The TV model is a Samsung UN65TU700DF. Sorry for a poor description, hopefully the pics help. The house was prewired with the 5 cables as seen in the picture. I purchased an adapter to convert those wires to HDMI as the TV only has HDMI slots. The HDMI cable comes out of the adapter and into the HDMI 2- eARC port on the TV

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
but i can’t get the surround sound to work through the speakers on the ceiling.
What’s not clear in your post:

Are there other speakers besides the ones on the ceiling?

Is the audio problem a Zone 1 or Zone 2 issue?

I’m not sure what the HDMI / component thing has to do with your audio problem. It appears that all that is for Zone 2. You did not mention any video issues in Zone 2.

That said, if all the speaker wires connected to the Denon in the picture are for Zone 1, it appears you should have a functioning system in Zone 1 at least.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

R

Rhynofooter

Enthusiast
Living room is Zone 1.. has 5 speakers and a sub... Left, right, center, plus 2 rear speakers and a sub

zone 2 is outside on the patio which only has 2 speakers. Zone 2 is only going to be used for music

The issue is not having surround sound in zone 1 while watching tv..However, sound works just fine in both zones when playing music through from my phone.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
When you are using music from your phone. What sound processing are you using for the music? What setting is being displayed on the Denon? Can you possibly get pics of the surround speakers and the Denon and where it is compared to the TV?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Your issue has nothing to do with the system that was installed with the house. It is a hardware issue with your equipment. I suggest checking your TV’s audio settings menu.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Quick back story, bought a house that was built in 2008, and prewired for home surround sound with 2 zones, using 5 component cables.. Red, blue, green, yellow, white.. The previous homeowner left a Denon AVR-S920W. I purchased 2 Component to HDMI adapters (one for the back side of the receiver and one coming out of the wall, going to the tv). My tv is a new Samsung that doesn’t offer the component hookup on the tv itself. I’m able to use the Denon app on my phone to adjust the volume on TV, but i can’t get the surround sound to work through the speakers on the ceiling.
The surround sound works when hooked to Spotify through my phone so i know the speakers work. I’ve tried searching on here and YouTube. Any help would be much appreciated, as i am EXTREMELY novice at any of this stuff
I think the 2nd post nailed your problem. At least I agree with it.

Even though you're converting your component cables to an hdmi cable into the AVR...you have 5 component cables but to my knowledge 3 (red, green blue) carry video only...and the yellow and white carry your 2 channels for audio.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
When watching TV, what sound setting is displayed on the Denon? If “STEREO” is displayed, no sound will be output from the surround speakers, or the center channel for that matter. You would need to switch to “Dolby Surround” mode or another DSP mode.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
When watching TV, what sound setting is displayed on the Denon? If “STEREO” is displayed, no sound will be output from the surround speakers, or the center channel for that matter. You would need to switch to “Dolby Surround” mode or another DSP mode.
Based on what the OP has posted thus far...(5 component cables wired to an hdmi converter) I don't think he would get anything but stereo.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, you are right, the signal being sent to the Denon is a two channel signal. But, he can apply DSP modes to get all of the speakers on. If he leaves it on "STEREO" or "DIRECT" modes while the TV(ARC) input is selected, he will not get sound out of his surround speakers.

R

Rhynofooter

Enthusiast
Your issue has nothing to do with the system that was installed with the house. It is a hardware issue with your equipment. I suggest checking your TV’s audio settings menu.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
The receiver won’t even go into Dolby surround.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I doubt it will work since you are converting HDMI to component/analog and back, but did you activate ANYNET+ in your TV? You must also activate HDMI-CEC in your DENON. Your TV has eARC, but your DENON only supports ARC. If you turn on ANYNET+ and HDMI-CEC, you may see RECEIVER pop up in your sound outputs on the TV menu.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt it will work since you are converting HDMI to component/analog and back, but did you activate ANYNET+ in your TV? You must also activate HDMI-CEC in your DENON. Your TV has eARC, but your DENON only supports ARC. If you turn on ANYNET+ and HDMI-CEC, you may see RECEIVER pop up in your sound outputs on the TV menu.
I doubt ARC functions with those hdmi converters involved.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The TV model is a Samsung UN65TU700DF. Sorry for a poor description, hopefully the pics help. The house was prewired with the 5 cables as seen in the picture. I purchased an adapter to convert those wires to HDMI as the TV only has HDMI slots. The HDMI cable comes out of the adapter and into the HDMI 2- eARC port on the TV
Is the audio originating in the tv ? Or fed separately into the avr directly say from a cable/sat box?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
His pic only had the one hdmi cable connected to the Denon. I didn’t see any other connected devices. I see a coaxial cable connected to the TV. Antenna or cable box?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis