Have you gone back to standard stereo from surround?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sticking with my arguement. Two channels cannot reproduce the physics of 5 speakers when it comes to sound immersion. I'd rather the suuround channels with tower fronts than a 2.1 channel system.
It depends on the speakers/subwoofers and soundtracks/movies.

1. Some speakers (dipole, bipolar) have a much grander and immersive soundstage than front radiating box speakers. We were watching "Need for Speed" (DTS sound) with just my Linkwitz Orion dipole speakers + SX1010 subs in 2.1 mode. And the soundstage was so vast and immersive that I forgot I was only watching in 2.1 mode.

2. OTOH, there are some movies/TV shows that are not as well mixed (some DD/PCM tracks) that really made me miss 5.1 the entire movie. With these movies, the surround speakers and the Center speaker do make a huge difference.

So it really depends. But the bottom line is whether the OP feels he missed the surround and center speakers after watching 5.1 movies for an extended period. There are many audiophiles who just listen to 2.0 or 2.1 all their lives. They don't miss 5.1. But everyone is different.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
3db, I have heard a 3.1 before that sounded like surround sound, I am not sure why it never took off because it actually sounded good... It was made by mirage, and it was 2 fronts {left and right} then a rear center, it sounded good... But never heard of it again, is mirage even still in business?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It depends on the speakers/subwoofers and soundtracks/movies.

1. Some speakers (dipole, bipolar) have a much grander and immersive soundstage than front radiating box speakers. We were watching "Need for Speed" (DTS sound) with just my Linkwitz Orion dipole speakers + SX1010 subs in 2.1 mode. And the soundstage was so vast and immersive that I forgot I was only watching in 2.1 mode.

2. OTOH, there are some movies/TV shows that are not as well mixed (some DD/PCM tracks) that really made me miss 5.1 the entire movie. With these movies, the surround speakers and the Center speaker do make a huge difference.

So it really depends. But the bottom line is whether the OP feels he missed the surround and center speakers after watching 5.1 movies for an extended period. There are many audiophiles who just listen to 2.0 or 2.1 all their lives. They don't miss 5.1. But everyone is different.
It doesn't depend on speakers. One cannot argue physics.. ( one can try but will ultimately fail :p ).

Even five direct radiating speakers will provide a more immersive sound field than 2.1 or 3.1 could ever hope to achieve. That's the physics.

As far as recordings go, one can get by I suppose with a 2.1 or 3.1 system for movie whose soundtrack is predominantly in the front with little to no action using surrounds. However, get a movie like Master & Commander (and there are lots of those) and the 2.1 or 3.1 systems will fall flat on their grills compared to a 5.1 system. Physics is physics.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sticking with my arguement. Two channels cannot reproduce the physics of 5 speakers when it comes to sound immersion. I'd rather the suuround channels with tower fronts than a 2.1 channel system.
+1

If the sound in movies were mixed in 5.1/7.1 it does matter in my system.. When watching Black Knight or Skyfall and other movies in 2.1 the experience is just not there. Too many of our friends say the same thing ( " turn the other stuff back on they say" )

Of course this is a person opinion, and every one has a say in what they like or don't after all this is audio not brain surgery.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It doesn't depend on speakers. One cannot argue physics.. ( one can try but will ultimately fail :p ).

Even five direct radiating speakers will provide a more immersive sound field than 2.1 or 3.1 could ever hope to achieve. That's the physics.

As far as recordings go, one can get by I suppose with a 2.1 or 3.1 system for movie whose soundtrack is predominantly in the front with little to no action using surrounds. However, get a movie like Master & Commander (and there are lots of those) and the 2.1 or 3.1 systems will fall flat on their grills compared to a 5.1 system. Physics is physics.
And your physics taught you that all speakers (front radiating vs dipole vs Omni-pole) have the same sound wave patterns and propagation? :D

Different speakers have different polar responses, correct?

Sound wave reflections off the walls and behind you to create an immersive surround effect?

Is psychoacoustics studied in physics class? Are there equations to predict psychoacoustics ?

We are talking about audio illusions.

Sure physics and mathematics can explain how sound waves propagate. But is there an equation that calculates how your cerebrum interprets them? :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
And your physics taught you that all speakers have the same sound wave patterns and propagation? :D

Was psychoacoustics studied in physics class?

We are talking about audio illusions.

Sure physics and mathematics can explain how sound waves propagate. But is there an equation that calculates how your cerebrum interprets them? :D
I suppose, if one smoked a pound of weed before sitting down in front of a 2.1 system, then it may be possible but still not likely. What we are arguing are the wave patterns that are hitting our ears, not the psychoacoustic affects. Physics is still physics.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I suppose, if one smoked a pound of weed before sitting down in front of a 2.1 system, then it may be possible but still not likely. What we are arguing are the wave patterns that are hitting our ears, not the psychoacoustic affects. Physics is still physics.
Are all the wave patterns hitting our ears the same for all types of speakers and rooms? If not, then isn't it possible we may interpret the sensory differently?

I don't think it is that difficult to create a sense of ambience behind us if the wave patterns hitting our ears from behind, top, and sides are significant enough - I mean with all the waves bouncing everywhere.

Remember that dipole/bipolar speakers have drivers in front and in the rear of the speakers and their polar responses are quite different. Their wave patterns are more diffused and a lot less focused than front radiating speakers.

Having said all that as a debate :D, I do prefer movies in 5.1 over 2.1 every time when the movies are encoded for discrete 5.1. :D

My only point is, some DTS discrete 5.1 movie soundtracks still sound fantastic in 2.1. This may not be enough for most of us. But it may be enough for some guys.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Are all the wave patterns hitting our ears the same for all types of speakers and rooms? If not, then isn't it possible we may interpret the sensory differently?

I don't think it is that difficult to create a sense of ambience behind us if the wave patterns hitting our ears from behind, top, and sides are significant enough - I mean with all the waves bouncing everywhere.

Remember that dipole/bipolar speakers have drivers in front and in the rear of the speakers and their polar responses are quite different. Their wave patterns are more diffused and a lot less focused than front radiating speakers.

Having said all that as a debate :D, I do prefer movies in 5.1 over 2.1 every time when the movies are encoded for discrete 5.1. :D

My only point is, some DTS discrete 5.1 movie soundtracks still sound fantastic in 2.1. This may not be enough for most of us. But it may be enough for some guys.
I'm not arguing personal choice... I just don't understand why some would prefer 2.1 or 3.1 to 5.1 on a good movie soundtrack is all. I'm steadfast however and completely 100% correct I might add about the physics. Physics doesn't lie. :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not arguing personal choice... I just don't understand why some would prefer 2.1 or 3.1 to 5.1 on a good movie soundtrack is all. I'm steadfast however and completely 100% correct I might add about the physics. Physics doesn't lie. :)
+1 and who knows I think ADTG stayed at a Holiday Inn express once :D.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think ADTG stayed at a Holiday Inn express once :D.
I've.......probably stayed at every major hotel franchise over the years....... :confused:

Is there an inside joke to Holiday Inn Express hotel or something? I don't get how it relates to surround sound. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've.......probably stayed at every major hotel franchise over the years....... :confused:

Is there an inside joke to Holiday Inn Express hotel or something? I don't get how it relates to surround sound. :D
We're just yanking your chain :) Its all good in the hood.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We're just yanking your chain :) Its all good in the hood.
You guys even made me Google Holiday Inn Express! :mad:

I couldn't find much news. But I'm pretty sure I stayed at Holiday Inn Express more than once. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
You guys even made me Google Holiday Inn Express! :mad:

I couldn't find much news. But I'm pretty sure I stayed at Holiday Inn Express more than once. :D
Oh come on you have never seen a Holiday Inn Express commercial on TV. Here is one. Then you might get the jest in our hassling you, all in fun, :D

[video=youtube;l8Ah8WTL2i8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Ah8WTL2i8[/video]

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh come on you have never seen a Holiday Inn Express commercial on TV. Here is one. Then you might get the jest in our hassling you, all in fun, :D

[video=youtube;l8Ah8WTL2i8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Ah8WTL2i8[/video]
Nope. Never seen that commercial. But, I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

I also save 15% on Geico insurance. :D

I'm losing it. :eek:

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai

I do enjoy a good debate. Sometimes, may even take a side just for the purpose of initiating a debate. ;)
To anyone who wonders about ADTG's real preference, I give you this:

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I do enjoy a good debate. Sometimes, may even take a side just for the purpose of initiating a debate. ;)
and one day he will have them but right now, he just getting an ulcer waiting, and waiting and :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
and one day he will have them but right now, he just getting an ulcer waiting, and waiting and :D
Don't rub it in, man. :D It hurts enough as it is. :(

In the meantime, I am on a continuous Protonix IV drip to prevent the ulcer. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, debating for the side of the norm or most popular is easy.

But debating for underdog side, especially the side you don't even believe in most of the time, is challenging. It's definitely going against the grain. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis