Have I been stood up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have been out of the dating game a long time (too long!:(), and I don't know the modern "rules".
On Saturday, I got up the nerve to ask a lady at the bookstore to dinner (I have only spoken to her, briefly, a couple of times.) Her response was to take down my email address and promise to write.
So far, nothing. Does this mean I have been stood up? Should I go find her again and ask "did you lose my address?" (and if so, how long should I wait before doing that?):confused:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I have been out of the dating game a long time (too long!:(), and I don't know the modern "rules".
On Saturday, I got up the nerve to ask a lady at the bookstore to dinner (I have only spoken to her, briefly, a couple of times.) Her response was to take down my email address and promise to write.
So far, nothing. Does this mean I have been stood up? Should I go find her again and ask "did you lose my address?" (and if so, how long should I wait before doing that?):confused:
Don't press the issue, the ball is on her court. Try and bump into her if you can and please don't make it look like you're trying to "bump into her", see what she says and how she reacts, if she doesn't bring up the issue, move on. If she say's "I've been meaning to e-mail, but I've been so busy," shrug it off, just tell her "yeah, I know how it gets" and if she's interested she'll e-mail you. Or if she did lose your e-mail, she'll bring it right up. I might be a caveman but I did the dating scene for years and years.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It's possible, but if you shop at that bookstore regularly, I can't imagine she'd give you bogus information knowing full well you'll be back in.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Don't press the issue, the ball is on her court. Try and bump into her if you can and please don't make it look like you're trying to "bump into her", see what she says and how she reacts, if she doesn't bring up the issue, move on. If she say's "I've been meaning to e-mail, but I've been so busy," shrug it off, just tell her "yeah, I know how it gets" and if she's interested she'll e-mail you. Or if she did lose your e-mail, she'll bring it right up. I might be a caveman but I did the dating scene for years and years.
Right on target!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
It's possible, but if you shop at that bookstore regularly, I can't imagine she'd give you bogus information knowing full well you'll be back in.
That is an excellent point. She has seen me there often enough to know for sure that she will see me there again.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
That is an excellent point. She has seen me there often enough to know for sure that she will see me there again.
It's simple then. Go back to buy another book and strike up a conversation. If she acts uncomfortable, just let the whole thing slide. Or you can just give her a dirty look as you buy every copy of Catcher in the Rye that the store has in stock.;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
That's great! She knows you frequent the joint, so it's no big deal to see you there, like you're stalking her or something!:D Follow my lead, you'll do fine. And Joe if it is a turn down, move on, there's plenty of fish in the sea (not just in Wendy's fish sandwich), so don't lose stride, now that you've got momentum, keep on going. Many guys get into slumps when "rejected" by women, I always moved on and hit on the next available target. I always had more dates and girlfriends than some of my "better looking" buddies, their problem: too shy to talk to girls, I was usually sent on mission to talk to girls and bring them over to meet the guys, ironically I usually ended with the dates and the "pretty boys:p" went home alone. The power of speech and self-confidence. To this day my wife says what attracted her to me was my self-assuredness and humour. I'm not tying to toot my whistle, just give you advice that worked for me for years. And I still ask my wife "honey, am I that frigging ugly? And she always says "no honey you're just rugged and handsome, in a prehistoric sort of way."

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yes you were stood up. She shrugged you off the minute she offered writing via email vs. talking and making plans right then. There are many, many, many single women out there, cast the line in a different spot of the pond.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
And Joe if it is a turn down, move on, there's plenty of fish in the sea (not just in Wendy's fish sandwich), so don't lose stride, now that you've got momentum, keep on going. Many guys get into slumps when "rejected" by women, I always moved on and hit on the next available target.
That is good advice. Asking a woman out is difficult for me, as I get nervous (almost like when I was a teenager, except that I stopped being a teenager many years ago.) Now that I have gotten over the initial block, the next one should be easier. I just hope it will be someone who says "yes" or "no" instead of making me wait!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Joe, if I can offer any advice, on top of the many good points already made.
I've always tried to view a dating situation from a woman's viewpoint.
Personally, I would make the first meeting over a cup of coffee. Maybe a Starbucks.
A short, open ended meeting, works well to test the waters.
Dinner is too much, too soon, for someone you've met briefly.
IMO, the fact that she didn't exchange email addresses,(she has yours only) or cell numbers, speaks volumes.
Previous advice has been good; though, Greg Gable has hit the nail!
Good Luck, in the future!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
That is good advice. Asking a woman out is difficult for me, as I get nervous (almost like when I was a teenager, except that I stopped being a teenager many years ago.) Now that I have gotten over the initial block, the next one should be easier. I just hope it will be someone who says "yes" or "no" instead of making me wait!

Joe! Women always make you wait. Even after you're married, they make you wait. Rick's advice has value, next time try coffee first instead of dinner.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Man, I am not trying to dog you but if she was interested she would have given you her email address. If a women takes your phone number or email and doesnt offer hers, dont wait for the phone to ring;)

It is a volume game, the more you meet, the higher your chances. Keep casting.
She was at work. There were other customers in line behind me.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Joe! Women always make you wait. Even after you're married, they make you wait. Rick's advice has value, next time try coffee first instead of dinner.
In my mind dinner seems pretty neutral, but I will take it from you experts and offer coffee next time.
The next question is whether to immediately seek another opportunity, or give Angela (that is her name) more time to respond first. I am likely to see her at the bookstore next Saturday, which might put her on the spot a bit.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
immediately seek another opportunity...
In my mind dinner seems pretty neutral, but I will take it from you experts and offer coffee next time.
The next question is whether to immediately seek another opportunity, or give Angela (that is her name) more time to respond first. I am likely to see her at the bookstore next Saturday, which might put her on the spot a bit.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The Wendy's fish sandwich, is also a well known, great icebreaker.:D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Joe I would give it only one more chance. I have had girls that would go out the second time I asked. After that, move on.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Isn't it the truth!

Plenty of fish in the sea and the sea isn't limited to the US. I found my match overseas.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Joe, if I can offer any advice, on top of the many good points already made.
I've always tried to view a dating situation from a woman's viewpoint. [emphasis added]
Personally, I would make the first meeting over a cup of coffee. Maybe a Starbucks.
A short, open ended meeting, works well to test the waters.
Dinner is too much, too soon, for someone you've met briefly.
IMO, the fact that she didn't exchange email addresses,(she has yours only) or cell numbers, speaks volumes.
Previous advice has been good; though, Greg Gable has hit the nail!
Good Luck, in the future!
In my opinion, the highlighted sentence is the best thing said so far in this thread (and I do NOT mean that everything else is bad). Think about how a woman is often hit on by guys who don't mean to do her any good, and think about how she cannot know whether you are a decent guy or not until she gets to know you. Take things slow, and, of course, never be pushy and be ready to move on if she isn't interested. There may be a good reason for her to reject you (e.g., already has a boyfriend, is a lesbian, has heard stories about you from your ex [either true or false stories], etc.).

And it is premature to say she has rejected you. Who hasn't ever lost a slip of paper, or been too busy with something to respond right away?

My advice is to make friends with women first, and then see if there is a mutual romantic interest later. This means that you treat them almost the same as men you meet (keeping in mind what is said above, as a woman isn't generally going to know what sort of intentions you have unless and until she gets to know you). That is what I did with my wife, and we have been very happy together for a long time. We are best friends, as well as being husband and wife. I don't have the problems so many married men complain about with their wives, and, frankly, I have little sympathy for most men who do, as in most cases, no one put a gun to their head to make them marry the woman they chose. They should have put some serious thought into the matter first. But I am getting ahead of your particular issue.

My advice is predicated on the idea that you are looking for a long term relationship, and if you are not, you will probably not like what I have to say.

From rereading your opening post, Joe Schmoe, I see that this all was just last Saturday. It is too early to determine if she will or will not send you an email. Wait at least a week, and make sure you are not using anti-spam software that will prevent you from getting her message. Given how unreliable email is, it is entirely possible that she has sent you an email, and you have not received it. Probably, that is not the case, but it is common enough of a problem that you should not rule it out as a possibility. Anyway, give it at least a week before you start to concern yourself about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis