Have a sub issue to complete my system

M

Micahd77

Enthusiast
Have a 10 year old Polk sub..it was my first wow In home audio..the room was small and sound worked old Visio much better than today.. heavy stuff.. now purchased condo on beach.. double slider behind me.. Klipsch Costco speakers basic Atmos with tower top speakers are Atmos.. marantz sr5015..what sub do I buy molinoth thx 10 or 15..3000 cubic ft

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
15, and start saving for a second one right away. Or get two 12’s now.
How about neighbors?

M

Micahd77

Enthusiast
Have a 400 watt Niles app for front part of towers.. marantz only has to talk to center Dolby Atmos and sides/rear

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems it was longer ago than 10 years that Polk had any worthy subs....but which specific one do you have now? I'd also think about duals in any case and I'd rather have the 15s than the 10s if I'm spending your money :). Some of those in between are pretty nice, too, tho.

M

Micahd77

Enthusiast
Monolith seems best bang for buck..Polk is what today is the cheaper one I think 125 series .

M

Micahd77

Enthusiast
I know I'm missing a bunch of mids.. thought 2x 10 inch might help

M

Micahd77

Enthusiast
Seems it was longer ago than 10 years that Polk had any worthy subs....but which specific one do you have now? I'd also think about duals in any case and I'd rather have the 15s than the 10s if I'm spending your money :). Some of those in between are pretty nice, too, tho.
2x 10 or 1x 15... remember condo

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
2x 10 or 1x 15... remember condo
Just makes me more think should you have a sub or sound system at all :) Concrete/soundproofed construction I hope? I haven't lived with shared walls in quite a long time, altho when I lived in SF the next house was literally a few inches away on the sides....but that was before I had real subs, too :)

If you're going to use a sub, really doesn't matter the number particularly, it's the general levels involved in using them :) Smoothing with multiple subs is a definite advantage, not so much an increase in spl thing (unless you want it to be louder of course). More depends overall as to which sub as to your spl and extension goals. Two of the 10" Monolith THX subs is quite good to start, and not really a lot to be gained from there in a general sense.

M

Micahd77

Enthusiast
Yeah walls are concrete.. laundry room next to me..8 units in my building.. only one I'm worried about guy above me..they been remodeling for 6 months..just want to hear music and really like movie s..lower volume most of the time

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah walls are concrete.. laundry room next to me..8 units in my building.. only one I'm worried about guy above me..they been remodeling for 6 months..just want to hear music and really like movie s..lower volume most of the time
How much of the remodeling do you hear?

M

Micahd77

Enthusiast
Love sound now..just this old Polk might get 30 and I know I missing out

M

Micahd77

Enthusiast
Might even be able to use old Polk with a monolith 10 or 12 thx?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The better sub would just be somewhat handicapped by the limits of the lesser sub. Probably better in any case to just replace the Polk. Even if just one Monolith THX 10", should be quite a significant difference to your current sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure which Polk you have but I will guess it’s the 505. Probably their most popular sub ever.

I think a pair of mono 12’s would be a very nice upgrade path for you. No matter what Polk you have, it’s not as good as a single mono in any way. Even a single 10 would outperform it. Not picking. Just sayin.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The better sub would just be somewhat handicapped by the limits of the lesser sub. Probably better in any case to just replace the Polk. Even if just one Monolith THX 10", should be quite a significant difference to your current sub.
I agree.
And on top of the lesser sub holding back the better one, they will have phase cancellations between them. I suspect a mess.

M

Micahd77

Enthusiast
Thanks..I think you're correct..might still try to balance if it doesn't work.. what do I have to lose..$450 don't think I can beat it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis