Hate to be this guy... Looking for the best $200 powered sub. Used is fine.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
(I have scoured google and this site but haven't found precise to my situation suggestions)I have a denon avs s500bt powering my optimus pro lx 10's with a micca center. (This is used mostly for home theater, sometimes music). I want a sub. The speakers are pretty bass-y, but not like a dedicated powered subwoofer. I only have $200 to spend, so looking on ebay may be my best bet, but for what? What is good at this price range? I know an avs sb2000 is kind of the benchmark, but I can't afford. Unless anyone here has one for sale. The room is 23' widex18'at peak of ceiling and 17' deep. If that helps. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your suggestions!
Ddjr

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m always a little reserved about recommending used subs. There are good deals out there, but with so many variables, it’s easy to get a lemon. I would check Facebook marketplace, or Craigslist, or even a local pawn shop before eBay just to avoid shipping.
Lots of good brands, but I’d recommend looking around, and checking here with some that you find and we can help weed them out.
Having said that, if you can raise your budget to 300 and change, the Dayton sub1200 is a great deal(used to be 150ea now 157 but commonly have B stock for less). Your room is pretty big so you’ll need to spend wisely, and I would strongly consider two. Their sub1500 is also a pretty good bargain but ironically the 12” performs about as well. FWIW dual subs tend to be more for smoothing out bass across multiple seats but also, in big rooms will help with output.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Hey, whereabouts? And are you headed north any time soon?

D

ddjr

Audioholic
There is a dayton audio titanic mkii 10" very close to me for$200. Is that any good?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
There is a dayton audio titanic mkii 10" very close to me for$200. Is that any good?
If the name Titanic is associated with a sub, I'm in.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

D

ddjr

Audioholic
That's funny. I get it, I get it. But seriously, is it anything worth considering? Is it better than all the bose and sony subs in my area on craigslist?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's funny. I get it, I get it. But seriously, is it anything worth considering? Is it better than all the bose and sony subs in my area on craigslist?
Imo it’s probably a horse a piece compared to the Sony’s.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I'm not familiar with a horse a piece. Does that mean it's good or ignore it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Dayton Titanic sub is likely a step above the SUB1200 and SUB1500 mentioned however it could be a driver, a diy kit, or an assembled sub from Dayton via Parts-Express.com. They're discontinued now, tho.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
It looks like I'm going to buy the dayton titanic. The guy does speaker mods and has put new caps in it and some other things.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
This is part of his description of the sub

"This is a true subwoofer, with meaningful output below 25hz, if you take a look at the big box store offerings like the current gen Klipsch 12” or the Polk Audio PSW110 neither of those subs have the quality of driver or means of legitimate output below about 30hz-35hz regardless of the overly enthusiastic manufacturer specs. I recently replaced all of the caps in the power stage so you’ll get years of worry free use out of it. I never run subs smaller than 12” in my home theater unless they’re dual driver and even than it’s a rare occurrence, but once gain matched to 75dB and tweaked a tiny bit with MiniDSP this tiny 10” subwoofer that retailed for less than $600 had no issues matching the output and impact of subwoofers with double the drivers and more than four times the RMS rated power. I also added a Parts Express spike kit to decouple it from your floor but it can be removed"
Look ok to you guys?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The guy selling it sounds a bit wacky what with replacing caps and spikes use, but it might work okay. I would hope it's better than the Klipsch or Polk subs if he did the work right. Sounds like an assembled sub from P-E since he doesn't mention the amp section separately (so assume it's the package deal with a supplied amp).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah that's a Dayton plate amp. Just curious why he needed to change caps....or if he knew what he was doing. Spikes aren't particularly for decoupling either.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I'm going Friday morning. I'll ask him why he replaced the caps in a minute. If it sounds good, is this a good sub? I don't want to buy crap

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis