Has Dolby Home Atmos Been a Step Forward for Home Audio?

Do you think Dolby's Home Atmos hasbeen a positive move on the whole for home audio?

• Yes, Home Atmos has been a move in the right direction.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Dolby's Home Atmos has overall been good for home audio but has some flaws.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Home Atmos has become a misbegotten mess for home audio.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • I don't know what a Dolby Home Atmos is. Help, I am lost and scared!

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
According to Statcounter, the global market share looks like this:

• Android: 72.2%
  • iOS: 26.99%
So I have to get rid of my android smartphone to get a crappy iPhone (SEE WHAT I MEAN) to experience Atmos music through Apple. Once again, Apple will doom Atmos with its proprietary foolishness.

Some of the naivete never fails to not surprise me.

A related story. I downloaded the AppleTV app on my Firestick, guess what 90 percent of the programs can't be watched unless I purchase an Apple TV device.
You don’t get it, Apple’s marketing of Dolby ATMOS Music fuels subscription to Apple Music. It’s not for you. Your bias and misplaced hatred for Apple precludes it; but, for millions worldwide, Apple’s embrace of Dolby ATMOS, will inspire trial and preference for the technology in all environments.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They may refer to it as Spatial Audio, but when you play it, it says Dolby Atmos.

It even says Dolby Atmos when I play the Dolby Atmos songs on my iPhone on the built in speakers. LOL :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
They may refer to it as Spatial Audio, but when you play it, it says Dolby Atmos.

It even says Dolby Atmos when I play the Dolby Atmos songs on my iPhone on the built in speakers. LOL :)
Can Atmos work without on ceiling speakers? 12 x 12 room for with only half that for speakers wide .
Or would I be better off trying it out with speakers on the sides of the room ? Maybe as high up as possible?
Should I try something bigger than bookshelf speakers like Andrew Jones Towers?

I just don’t know how effective it would be up mixed Atmos only 2 channels, in 7.1

So Atmos headphones things and bounce off speakers and Bluetooth speakers . It feels like a gimmick without proper speakers!! Those remind me of how 3D was botched poor release, poor technology too hard to use ..
Actually before my dad lost or got 3D glasses broke I watched a 3-D movie Prometheus on spectacular it’s a shame the technology was ruined Due to money grubbing.
That tv has bars going down it now .. almost defunct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

You don’t get it, Apple’s marketing of Dolby ATMOS Music fuels subscription to Apple Music. It’s not for you. Your bias and misplaced hatred for Apple precludes it; but, for millions worldwide, Apple’s embrace of Dolby ATMOS, will inspire trial and preference for the technology in all environments.
I don't hate Apple, I just don't like their business model. They only want to allow content through their devices.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Can Atmos work without on ceiling speakers? 12 x 12 room for with only half that for speakers wide .
Or would I be better off trying it out with speakers on the sides of the room ? Maybe as high up as possible?

I just don’t know how effective it would be up mixed Atmos only 2 channels, in 7.1

So Atmos headphones things and bounce off speakers and Bluetooth speakers . It feels like a gimmick without proper speakers!! Those remind me of how 3D was botched poor release, poor technology too hard to use ..
Actually before my dad lost or got 3D glasses broke I watched a 3-D movie Prometheus on spectacular it’s a shame the technology was ruined Due to money grubbing.

Of course, it's a gimmick without a proper speaker setup.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

NOOB, if you really want to try, and you have the gear. I would go with what you suggested, and go high on the sides kinda like this…

This is a 5.x.4 but as you can see, the .2 front heights are 2 or 3 feet in front of the LP. That should be pretty easy to do.
It’s not about proper speakers as much as proper placement. And while it is important, as long as you can get close, you should be rewarded with good experience.
While .4 Atmos IS better than .2, some Atmos is better than none. Imo. Rather have the option…
And I know you have a hearing issue so it might not matter. But keep in mind, Atmos is sooooo much more than simply sounds above you. It’s object placement of sounds on XYZ coordinates, in an atmospheric realm. That means sounds IN your room. Not just around it. Lots of it is subtle, but that’s the best part imo. And damn, is it good, when it’s good.
People can piss and moan about Atmos all day long. They can kiss my ass. Yep. It is wrought with stoopid assed confusing marketing, and whah, it might take some work, and whah, it costs more, and whah, more speakers(some are almost invisible, crazy I know.) And there are definitely mixers who are asleep at the wheel who DONT HELP by making lackluster tracks. So don’t do it. Save some money, save some frustration on, save on the eyesore. But shut up.
There are HUNDREDS of Atmos tracks. So I’m sick of the “ain’t no content” shitt. NOT relevant
So FWIW in MY room, with good Atmos tracks, and even older upmixed tracks, it’s just too good.
So if you(insert self here) wanna say Atmos sucks, or costs too much, or you’re too Fukkin lazy to add speakers, or think invisible IC speakers stand out too much or WAF has a bigger dikk than you or you just love 5.1 that much then fine! Don’t do it. Don’t add speakers. Don’t spend the money. Don’t tell WAF to sukk it. Don’t move to the next level.
But DO NOT say that it’s not worth it. Don’t say it sukks. Don’t cry that waf wins so you feel better about not doing it.
It’s not perfect, and not even what all the marketing sold us. But from an experience standpoint, it has definitely been a step forward.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
According to Statcounter, the global market share looks like this:

• Android: 72.2%
  • iOS: 26.99%
So I have to get rid of my android smartphone to get a crappy iPhone (SEE WHAT I MEAN)
Nope. I don’t see why you mean at all. But tell yourself Apple sucks so you feel better.

S

sterling shoote

I don't hate Apple, I just don't like their business model. They only want to allow content through their devices.
What Apple wants to do is bring desirable products to market. Delivering Dolby ATMOS Music via iPhone or Apple TV to the market for streamed music is a big deal. It’s big for consumers and content creators, since the technology is poised to present a more titillating experience than achievable from stereo recording executions. It’s clear you don’t understand or have any credentials to profess on Apple’s business model.in other words you have an uninformed opinion.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Nope. I don’t see why you mean at all. But tell yourself Apple sucks so you feel better.
Stop being a contrarian. Apple's business model does suck. Lots of Apple fanboys/girls out there so I understand why some passionately defend them. Dolby shouldn't license Atmos to Apple, they're going to screw things up for them.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Apple Music and its implementation of Atmos on apple devices is a mess for sure. But, that is also the case with many services offering Atmos on different devices and older devices and older Smart TVs get the shaft when it comes to getting Atmos at all. Apple's offering will not spell doom for Atmos. If Atmos implementation is a mess all over the place, that's on Dolby as different services and devices offer it up in various combinations. If you aren't playing it from a disc, you aren't getting the best presentation of it anyway so everybody needs to lighten up and just enjoy what you have and stop pissing on what somebody else has and enjoys. I'll take my own advice and lighten up on "Dune.";)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
What Apple wants to do is bring desirable products to market. Delivering Dolby ATMOS Music via iPhone or Apple TV to the market for streamed music is a big deal. It’s big for consumers and content creators, since the technology is poised to present a more titillating experience than achievable from stereo recording executions. It’s clear you don’t understand or have any credentials to profess on Apple’s business model.in other words you have an uninformed opinion.
iphonelinestwitter-1.jpg

The Apple cultist are omnipresecent. Anyway, Apple will do the reverse of what you expect when it comes to Atmos music.

Also, Atmos music is problematic. If we can learn from the past, i.e. SA-CD, DVD-A, etc. adoption of multi-channel music has been a big fail. Two channel stereo from here through eternity. Atmos music is the biggest gimmick, which doesn't surprise me that Apple would try to get it's greedy hands involved, how much longer can you fool the masses to upgrade their $1400 phone every year for a slight improvement in selfie cameras.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Stop being a contrarian. Apple's business model does suck. Lots of Apple fanboys/girls out there so I understand why some passionately defend them. Dolby shouldn't license Atmos to Apple, they're going to screw things up for them.
Who’s contrarian? Lol

I don’t agree with their business practices all time and I’m not really defending them the way you think.
But I had to laugh at your comment about getting a crappy iPhone. I’m definitely not a fan boi but Ime, iPhones have always been solid and do everything that androids do, except without all the bloatware! The one in my hand takes great photos(for a phone), runs very stable, does AirPlay without a hitch, etc etc.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Who’s contrarian? Lol

I don’t agree with their business practices all time and I’m not really defending them the way you think.
But I had to laugh at your comment about getting a crappy iPhone. I’m definitely not a fan boi but Ime, iPhones have always been solid and do everything that androids do, except without all the bloatware! The one in my hand takes great photos(for a phone), runs very stable, does AirPlay without a hitch, etc etc.
Stop being so serious, the crappy iPhone was in jest.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Apple Music and its implementation of Atmos on apple devices is a mess for sure. But, that is also the case with many services offering Atmos on different devices and older devices and older Smart TVs get the shaft when it comes to getting Atmos at all. Apple's offering will not spell doom for Atmos. If Atmos implementation is a mess all over the place, that's on Dolby as different services and devices offer it up in various combinations. If you aren't playing it from a disc, you aren't getting the best presentation of it anyway so everybody needs to lighten up and just enjoy what you have and stop pissing on what somebody else has and enjoys. I'll take my own advice and lighten up on "Dune.";)
Well said. And Good advice!
I was listening to some spatial music last night. It was only 2.0 because I AirPlay straight to my receiver. But DSU sure made it fun!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Not going anywhere near Atmos over headphones, f#%k that. Tried Sony's Reality 360 Audio and didn't care for it. But, for those with capable home theater setups, options for getting Dolby Atmos Music there are very limited. You can use an Apple TV 4K to stream Dolby Atmos Music from the Apple Music or Tidal service apps. You can also use certain Android TVs, certain Nvidia Shield devices or certain Amazon Fire devices to get Dolby Atmos Music from Tidal. That's it folks. Amazon Music HD doesn't count as they only support it on headphones and the Echo Studio so who gives a s#%t? Macs do NOT support Atmos so the guy with a new Mac mini M1 hooked up to his AVR via HDMI will get discreet multichannel PCM output with no Atmos metadata attached to it. Airplay 2 does not support Atmos and Atmos tracks will be sent in two channel form. Now, these are the streaming options. Atmos albums are available on disc but are very few and not cheap. If there was anything messier than the HDMI 2.1 rollout, it was the Dolby Atmos Music rollout.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Dolby shouldn't make money by licensing to Apple? Android (Alphabet) has the same ability to License Dolby as Apple. Because of Apple's controlled/propritary archtecture, they are able to integrate it better than android.

Android is significantly bigger in forign markets than US markets where Apple has over 50% market share. In markets like india, China, cheap cell phones make up a majority of the adroid share, so I think that your statistics are only partially relevant.

I like Apple, I have a signficant amount of Apple Shares I purchased in 1998 that I still have today and it makes up a good portion of my retirement plan LOL. That being said, my go to phone is an Android (OnePlus 9 Pro). I have an iphone 12 Pro Max as my work phone because I use my Ipad Pro for work. Android makes shitty tablets, even the latest Samsungs are buggy and poor and not well supported for apps designed for tablets.

I am not a fan of Apple at times, I see both the positive and negative of their controlled environment. I think their Appstore fees for developers is monopolistic. Apple is on the wrong side of "The Right to Repair" arguement. That being said, having a propriatary and conrolled envirment puts them in the best position to take advantage of new technoloiges like Atmos, because they aren't having to worry about making it compatible across diferent manufactures CPU/GPUS and OSs.

S

sterling shoote

View attachment 50996

The Apple cultist are omnipresecent. Anyway, Apple will do the reverse of what you expect when it comes to Atmos music.

Also, Atmos music is problematic. If we can learn from the past, i.e. SA-CD, DVD-A, etc. adoption of multi-channel music has been a big fail. Two channel stereo from here through eternity. Atmos music is the biggest gimmick, which doesn't surprise me that Apple would try to get it's greedy hands involved, how much longer can you fool the masses to upgrade their $1400 phone every year for a slight improvement in selfie cameras.
P.m.
View attachment 50996

"For a slight improvement", that's ridiculous. Today's iPhones have state of the art feature sets which inspire intuitive high quality audio, text, pictorial, and video communication. These are features which have great benefit to any who use their cellular phones for a host of mobile communication needs. Fact is the iPhone's audio, video, and photography output capabilities are now so good that those in business arenas where singular purpose hardware has ruled are now embracing the iPhone for many chores.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
P.m.

"For a slight improvement", that's ridiculous. Today's iPhones have state of the art feature sets which inspire intuitive high quality audio, text, pictorial, and video communication. These are features which have great benefit to any who use their cellular phones for a host of mobile communication needs. Fact is the iPhone's audio, video, and photography output capabilities are now so good that those in business arenas where singular purpose hardware has ruled are now embracing the iPhone for many chores.
The difference between the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 is a slight improvement in the camera. Don't take my word for it, listen to the folks that review smartphones all the time. Apple, the lords of planned obsolescence, you won't be able to play Atmos on their devices without some kind of upgrade.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis