Has anyones amp ever done this...?

20to20K

Full Audioholic
The left channel on my Denon POA2400 has started sending a crackling noise to the tweeter of my front speakers on high frequencies. It's only evident on certain passages...mostly acoustic guitar and piano. At first I thought it was a damaged tweeter, but I swapped tweeters with the other speaker and it does the same thing. Tried swapping cables and speaker wire as well...it's definitely the amp.

The wierd part is that it only does it on those types of music...I listened
to the entire Pinks Floyds DSOTM and didn't hear it. I put on Chick Corea
Akoustic Band (track 2) which has a quite high noted piano intro and the
treble crackles like mad. I can repeat it at will. Metheny's "As falls Wichita..."
track 3 does the same thing. It's a high noted acoustic guitar solo.

I've got Polk LSi15's and an LSiC up front(4ohm) and 2 FXi3's in the rear(8ohm). I'm using a Denon 3805 AVR as the preamp and powering the other
speakers. My CD player is a Denon 2200. I've got Monster M Series biwire
and AudioQuest cables. I plan on taking the amp in for service...but if anyone has had this type of problem before and can give me a heads up as to what the Tech guy SHOULD tell me, I'd appreciate it.

20to20K

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Could be the CD? Certain CDs or particular tracks on those CDs are mastered "hot," at higher volumes, you can hear disortions.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Thought of that too...I swapped the interconnects on the amp so the left channel signal was going to the right amp/speaker combo...and the distortion does not occur. I swapped speaker cables the same way...and again no crackling.

The ultimate test will be when I disconnect the amp entirely and play those CDs with the left and right powered by just the 3805. Haven't done that yet cause its kind of a hassle...I'll do it tomorrow just before I take the amp in for service. If the cracklin' doesn't occur then I'll know it's the amp...I kind of do already.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Do you have a portable CD player or a bedroom system? Try play the same CD on those units see if you can hear the noise as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis