Has anyone seen this new Outlaw?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I was looking on the website today and I stumbled across this new offering. Is it just me or is this thing friggin sweet? 990 processor

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I agree :eek:

It's good to see that outlaw stepped up their game with balanced outputs, better remote capabilities and of course, better aesthetics with that aluminum faceplate.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I've been reading up on this guy on the Outlaw site. They say that this is essentially an upgraded Sherwood model p965. After looking up some reviews of what a Sherwood p965 was I am awfully impressed. Plus this unit is going to ship for $1095 US including the Mike for room EQ. Sounds like a bargin, I just wish that everytime I opened my wallet something more than moths flew out.

That's certainly a great price. I'm not seeing that it has any kind of Room EQ, just automatic setup (probably levels, size, and distance). I actually consider this a potentially good thing as, given the price, any integrated Room EQ system would likely not be very comprehensive.

The DVI 2/1 is simply a switcher - good to include and saves on licensing costs would they have chosen to have it do more (like upconvert from the other inputs). They seemed to have cut the right corners to get to this price point.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Sorry if I was misleading with the room eq :eek: . It is only an automatic speaker set up, and as a matter of fact in the faq section of their site they go out of their way to state that no auto EQ is used, but at least I was right about them including the mic.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
I was looking on the website today and I stumbled across this new offering. Is it just me or is this thing friggin sweet? 990 processor

Holy smokes! When did that show up, I was just checking out the site a couple of days ago...

Please excuse me if asking is against forum policies but does anyone know what the price is going to be?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
$1095, they expect to start shipping in about 35 days, they are only sure that the price will stay that low for the first 90 days or so. Link to the info

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Nice looking unit. It's tall. Sorta resembles the NAD stuff. Surprising how heavy it is for a preamp, at 28lbs.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Looks like a lot of features for $1100! :eek: I'm curious to see how it works & sounds (eg any software bugs, operational quirks or technical issues).

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
If it’s built on the same chassis as the P-965 that comes from the East Tec
Factory I would pick a Denon 3805 or Yamaha 2500 used as a pre/pro over this Pre-amp I have had and installed the P-965 and was completely unimpressed with all aspects of the product and company Some have said that Firm ware updates have fixed many problems but for me the experience was not kind.

For those of you that don’t already know the Yamaha 2500 has some of the best analog pre-outs that I have heard on receivers usually the analogue pre-outs are terrible on receivers But the 2500’s are golden ;)

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I hear that if you threaten it with fire it can extend multi-segmented spide rlegs and scurry away to safety. Plus it also grows lobster arms and shakes baby kittens.

I hear lots of rumors down here...... Yes, many rumors. And theres something nasty in the woodshed.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
RLA said:
If it’s built on the same chassis as the P-965 that comes from the East Tec
Factory I would pick a Denon 3805 or Yamaha 2500 used as a pre/pro over this Pre-amp I have had and installed the P-965 and was completely unimpressed with all aspects of the product and company Some have said that Firm ware updates have fixed many problems but for me the experience was not kind.

For those of you that don’t already know the Yamaha 2500 has some of the best analog pre-outs that I have heard on receivers usually the analogue pre-outs are terrible on receivers But the 2500’s are golden ;)
I use a Yamaha RX-V2200 as a pre-amp to my Outlaw Audio Model 770 Amp.
The Yamaha is a very good pre-amp, IMHO. To add to that, the Outlaw Amp is also a very good one, IMHO.
But I have a gripe against Outlaw, and that is that they won't seem to provide much information as to what's used in their products. I hope they'll come forth and state the platform the 990 is built off of. Do you have the connections to get the platform the 990 pre-amp is based on?

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Do you have the connections to get the platform the 990 pre-amp is based on?
Hi

Just rumor, hearsay and a bit of suspicion I have no solid info

Whoop’s I just found this bit of info I think it confirms my suspicion
If The Outlaws can build upon the 965 platform and tweak the user interface and fix some of the bug's I had with the units I had it may be a decent Pre/Pro It sure does have allot to offer including Balanced output’s But
I really don’t understand why they selected DVI switching?
Here is a cut and paste of the 965/990-platform discussion

Hope this helps ;)

From the Outlaw Forum :

posted April 13, 2005 11:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions About The Model 990 Preamp/Processor
Also, see this link on our web site.
--Last Updated April, 2005--

Q: I've read that the Model 990 is similar to the Sherwood P-965. Is that true?

A: The Model 990 does share the same underlying platform as the P-965, but there are a number of key differences between the two products. The Outlaws selected the P-965 as the basis for the Model 990 due to the fact that it is widely recognized as one of the best sounding processors available. Starting with a proven product, our own designers and engineers took the sound, features, connectivity and operation of the processor to new heights.

Q. Why didn't you design your own product?

A. The reality of the electronics industry today is such that a company of OutlawÕs size cannot always support the cost of developing as complex a product as the Model 990 from the "ground-up". By starting with an existing platform we are able to take advantage of the cost savings made possible by sharing costs while at the same time adding our unique features and our value oriented pricing.

Q. Does this mean that all of your products are based on other companies' designs?

A. NO, not at all. Outlaw uses the three different models shown below for product development, and so do all the other specialty brands to one degree or another, regardless of their distribution model. The selection of which development path to use is determined by the specific product, its cost, complexity and its anticipated volume. Going back to our first offering, the Model 750 amplifier, we have never hidden our relationships with some of the industry's leading manufacturers. Remember that out process is not unique, and only a few of the ÒmajorÓ brands actually design and manufacture their own processors from the ground up. We know of no company in the "internet only" market that totally designs and builds all of their processors on their own.

Many of our products are designed by or for us, and are Outlaw exclusives. Our original Model 1050 receiver, the ICBM, our forthcoming Model 1070 A/V Receiver, the RR 2150 stereo receiver, and our interconnect cables all fall into this category. Nobody but the Outlaws has these products in any form. In some cases we work with a supplier to develop a product from the ground up to our specifications. However, to spread the enormous development costs we agree to allow the manufacturer to offer the product in other forms to other brands after a window of exclusivity. The Model 950 has been a good example of that development model. Its hardware and software were designed and engineered by and for the Outlaws. Once we introduced it to the market, the manufacturing company was then permitted to offer it to others. In other cases, such as the Model 990, we find a product that has the potential to become an Outlaw offering. We then work with the manufacturer to adapt it to our specifications and add additional features that are exclusive to Outlaw. This is the reverse of the previous example, as it allows us to take advantage of a complete design ÒplatformÓ while extensively modifying it to the needs of the Outlaw community. In addition to the Model 990, our LFM-1 is also a good example of this product development model.

Q. So what are the differences between the Model 990 and the P-965?

A. There are a number of differences, but here are some of the major ones:

• Balanced outputs for all channels.

• DVI video switching (two in/one out)

• Improved bass management with Quadruple crossover settings so that the front left/right, center, surround and back surround channel outputs may be set for different crossovers

• A totally different setup and menu system for added flexibility. This includes renamable video inputs, a subwoofer offset for stereo sources, a system lock setting, and other refinements. The front panel operation is also unique, with complete access to the menus.

• Unique industrial design with aluminum front panel and removable front panel input covers.

Q. Is the Model 990's upgradeable for possible future enhancements?

A. Yes. Both the unit's system firmware and the software that drives the surround

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
RLA said:
Hi

Just rumor, hearsay and a bit of suspicion I have no solid info

Whoop’s I just found this bit of info I think it confirms my suspicion
If The Outlaws can build upon the 965 platform and tweak the user interface and fix some of the bug's I had with the units I had it may be a decent Pre/Pro It sure does have allot to offer including Balanced output’s But
I really don’t understand why they selected DVI switching?
Here is a cut and paste of the 965/990-platform discussion

Hope this helps ;)

From the Outlaw Forum :

posted April 13, 2005 11:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions About The Model 990 Preamp/Processor
Also, see this link on our web site.
--Last Updated April, 2005--

Q: I've read that the Model 990 is similar to the Sherwood P-965. Is that true?

A: The Model 990 does share the same underlying platform as the P-965, but there are a number of key differences between the two products. The Outlaws selected the P-965 as the basis for the Model 990 due to the fact that it is widely recognized as one of the best sounding processors available. Starting with a proven product, our own designers and engineers took the sound, features, connectivity and operation of the processor to new heights.

Q. Why didn't you design your own product?

A. The reality of the electronics industry today is such that a company of OutlawÕs size cannot always support the cost of developing as complex a product as the Model 990 from the "ground-up". By starting with an existing platform we are able to take advantage of the cost savings made possible by sharing costs while at the same time adding our unique features and our value oriented pricing.

Q. Does this mean that all of your products are based on other companies' designs?

A. NO, not at all. Outlaw uses the three different models shown below for product development, and so do all the other specialty brands to one degree or another, regardless of their distribution model. The selection of which development path to use is determined by the specific product, its cost, complexity and its anticipated volume. Going back to our first offering, the Model 750 amplifier, we have never hidden our relationships with some of the industry's leading manufacturers. Remember that out process is not unique, and only a few of the ÒmajorÓ brands actually design and manufacture their own processors from the ground up. We know of no company in the "internet only" market that totally designs and builds all of their processors on their own.

Many of our products are designed by or for us, and are Outlaw exclusives. Our original Model 1050 receiver, the ICBM, our forthcoming Model 1070 A/V Receiver, the RR 2150 stereo receiver, and our interconnect cables all fall into this category. Nobody but the Outlaws has these products in any form. In some cases we work with a supplier to develop a product from the ground up to our specifications. However, to spread the enormous development costs we agree to allow the manufacturer to offer the product in other forms to other brands after a window of exclusivity. The Model 950 has been a good example of that development model. Its hardware and software were designed and engineered by and for the Outlaws. Once we introduced it to the market, the manufacturing company was then permitted to offer it to others. In other cases, such as the Model 990, we find a product that has the potential to become an Outlaw offering. We then work with the manufacturer to adapt it to our specifications and add additional features that are exclusive to Outlaw. This is the reverse of the previous example, as it allows us to take advantage of a complete design ÒplatformÓ while extensively modifying it to the needs of the Outlaw community. In addition to the Model 990, our LFM-1 is also a good example of this product development model.

Q. So what are the differences between the Model 990 and the P-965?

A. There are a number of differences, but here are some of the major ones:

• Balanced outputs for all channels.

• DVI video switching (two in/one out)

• Improved bass management with Quadruple crossover settings so that the front left/right, center, surround and back surround channel outputs may be set for different crossovers

• A totally different setup and menu system for added flexibility. This includes renamable video inputs, a subwoofer offset for stereo sources, a system lock setting, and other refinements. The front panel operation is also unique, with complete access to the menus.

• Unique industrial design with aluminum front panel and removable front panel input covers.

Q. Is the Model 990's upgradeable for possible future enhancements?

A. Yes. Both the unit's system firmware and the software that drives the surround
Thank you sir, I would not wish to buy the 990 then, as I feel that offerings from Yamaha and Denon costing less are very good indeed. ;)

Dumar

Audioholic
I found this interesting and a little hard to believe:

Q. What about 1394/iLink?

A. While 1394 is available on a small number of current DVD-Audio/SACD players, the best information we have points to some form of HDMI as the carrier of choice for the audio portion of either of the forthcoming high definition optical formats, or any consolidated format that may emerge. To include 1394 on the Model 990 would cost-penalize the vast majority of customers by adding expensive parts that would be used by only a small percentage of users.

I always felt iLink was a good choice for a hidef interface. Has anyone heard it is going the way of the dinosaur (already)?

surveyor said:
Thank you sir, I would not wish to buy the 990 then, as I feel that offerings from Yamaha and Denon costing less are very good indeed.
Unless you need/desire balanced outputs or DVI switching. Though we haven't yet used it, if it's not buggy and the system sounds good (not noisy, etc) it looks like a decent product for the money.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Unless you need/desire balanced outputs or DVI switching. Though we haven't yet used it, if it's not buggy and the system sounds good (not noisy, etc) it looks like a decent product for the money.
I guess that is the problem until we get a chance to lay our hands on one we really don't know how it will perform.My previous comments were based on the Sherwood P-965 pre-amp. The 990 may well be a killer pre-amp

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis