Has anybody ever heard of these Speakers

F

fulanito_sf

Audiophyte
A friend of mine just let me have some Digital Reasearch speakers. The box is sealed it comes with 4 satellite's and a 10' subwoofer. He tells me that they go for like $800.00 and was letting me have these because I installed a wireless network at his house. I've googled them and found nothing. Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I could be wrong, but...

...I thimk these fall under the category of "white van speakers". That entails any speaker sold out of non-standard venues, with the following attributes.

0) They are sold out of a van, generally white.
1) It has a high price prominently marked on them.
2) It is being offered at a very low cost for any of a multitude of reasons, genrally the delivery boys had one or two too many and want to cut you a deal for some quick cash.
3) They certainly look impressive, at least on paper.
4) They weigh next to nothing.
5) They sound like even less.
6) If you can find them on the net, they have very sketchy info.
7) You can't find a good user review here or at AudioReview.

So, one rule to remember is that buying merchandise out of a warehouse that has wheels on the four corners is alomst a sure way to take a bath. Some people will be extremely happy with their purchase but, since you post here, your standards and expectations are probably higher than that.

F

fulanito_sf

Audiophyte
Well I don't really mind since

he just gave them to me. I did not buy them or anything.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well then, I'd say you got your moneys worth in this transaction

:D
fulanito_sf said:
he just gave them to me. I did not buy them or anything.
enjoy...

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
White Van Specials!

Here's a link to some for sale. "Buy it Now" for $80 and the list is $1999. And, they are brand new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32861&item=5720212063&rd=1

BTW, read the description. The center channel housing is cracked. Yeah, that would not cause any problems down the road. Oh, and the Sub has something loose and broken inside. Ah, what's a little rattling sound coming from the sub.

Seriously though, I would love to get a set for free just to compare them to my setup for fun. But, I would never pay any amount of money for them.

Shinerman

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis