Harry Stoner and the Socerer's Pot

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Hah, I've always wanted to write that. :D

Anyway, to the point. I threw in the first Harry Potter movie last night and on the back it says mixed in DD EX. But when the movie came on it was just DD, no EX. The SB speaker wasn't lit up on the receiver... I checked the menu and there are only language options, no surround options... What gives? Typo?

~Chuck

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I've had the same issue with Star Wars. I think you need to sellect the DD in the menu, and it will turn on. Or manually set the receiver to EX.

SheepStar

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
The dvd menu doesn't have that option, only spoken languages.

I run the receiver on DD EX/DTS ES all the time, but the light for the SB channel wasn't lit, meaning it wasn't getting its own signal. I'll live if it happens to be DD only, but it still bugs me. :)

On a lighter note, there is some decent LFE in the 3rd one (Prisoner of Azkaban), especially when the maid of the Leaky Couldron gets declined for room service. And on a darker note, the third one's case does not match the first two, (which bugs me because now they don't all match, and I'm weird like that), and it doesn't have the DD EX that the other two supposedly have. They got kind of cheap on this one.

~Chuck

F

fergusonv

Audioholic
As Sheep said, alot of movies (Star Wars) for example are flagged incorrectly and do not engage the ex processing. In which case you have to do it manually. On another note the ex is not a discrete channel and is just a clever matrix of the left and right rears so... there is no signal to light your indicator up.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
yep I've recently watched this as well.. the light won't "light up" but you can manually turn on it on.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
ducker said:
yep I've recently watched this as well.. the light won't "light up" but you can manually turn on it on.
Yeah, it's no big deal. Now if it was marked DTS and didn't have it, then I'd be :mad: .

I run everything on EX/ES... I figure since I have a 6th speaker, I may as well use it. :)

~Chuck

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Just a little update: I threw in the 2nd movie, which is labeled 5.1 EX, and the SB light came on, so I don't know what gives with the first one... This one has some pretty good use of srrounds and decent LFE I might add.

I've been kind of a HP nut since the first book came out, so I can't help but be critical about the movies.

Look for #4 in March! :)

~Chuck

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
yea I'm looking forward to watching that movie a couple more times. I enjoyed it but it moved fast for me (not reading that book and all).

Perhaps I should "catch up" on my reading :)

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, they stay very true to the books, but they can't put in everything, so it does help to have read the books before tackling the movies!

~Chuck

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis