Harmon Kardon AVR20II left speaker outputs not playing

B

boba

Audiophyte
Hi, I’ve inherited an AVR20II from my dad that had been working beautifully for a couple of years now, but last time I moved, the left speaker 1 output on the amp stopped playing anything. I’ve verified that it’s the amp by switching around wires and connections, so I swapped to speaker 2 output and everything worked perfectly. I’ve moved houses again, and I’m now getting the same issue with speaker 2. Tried everything I can think of short of taking it apart, and it’s definitely the amp, but I can’t get it to work. Any tips? Or should I take it for repair?

Thanks

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Hi, I’ve inherited an AVR20II from my dad that had been working beautifully for a couple of years now, but last time I moved, the left speaker 1 output on the amp stopped playing anything. I’ve verified that it’s the amp by switching around wires and connections, so I swapped to speaker 2 output and everything worked perfectly. I’ve moved houses again, and I’m now getting the same issue with speaker 2. Tried everything I can think of short of taking it apart, and it’s definitely the amp, but I can’t get it to work. Any tips? Or should I take it for repair?

Thanks
Its 25 or so years old....things do go bad.
Fixing it would be cost prohibitive, unless the personal value is worth the high repair cost.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How much would it cost to fix it?
I would not even try to have it fixed. You will have to pay the for the service whether it is fixed or not. At 25 years old, if an IC has blown, the chance of finding a replacement is virtually zero. This is one of the curses of modern manufacture. IC runs are usually only made once because of the set up costs. When they are gone they are gone. The law only requires spares be available for 7 years after manufacture. However they get an out for ICs, and other parts that only have one manufacture run. When they are gone, they are gone. So if you have the bad luck of buying a unit with a frequent problem, parts can get used up fast, and you can have a boat anchor that is only three or so years old. At 25 years for a receiver forget repair.

Paradoxically you have much greater chance of success with units from the fifties sixties and early seventies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis