Harman Kardon - would it help to add a power amp

R

radaray58

Audioholic Intern
check your output settings

I have an HK AVR 630. When I first set mine up I felt the same way as you. Then I realized that I was playing different surround modes without setting up each one individually. You have to go into the setup and adjust these to get a balanced output based on your listening position using a SPL (sound pressure level) meter. I boosted the output anywhere from +4 to +10 dB per channel and the system will now rock the house down if I want.

As to a using a sub, they are great for home theater. Since I have them built into my speakers (Def Tech's) I use them for music as well, but usually reduce the output level. You didn't say how you use your system (or I missed it) but if it's for music only I'm not sure I'd want to add a sub. It would depend on the type of music you listen to. Your B & W's should be more than adequate by themselves for great music in such a small space, especially with hardwood floors.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

W

whoareyou3

Audiophyte
I have a Harman Kardon AVR 520 (75w/channel in 5 channel mode). HK says it's ok powering 4ohm speakers.
I'm thinking of the following Polk setup:
LSI9 - front
LSIC
LSI7 - Rears

Anyone with experience powering a setup like this with an equiv HK?
I play music medium loud - never really blasting.
Listen to SACD (all music types)
If necessary I would add amp to power the LSI-9'S and leave the LsiC and lsi7to the HK520. I'll probably wait to see how things go before buying the additional amp, but just wanted some input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis