Harman Kardon, fading away................

kamaaina1

kamaaina1

Enthusiast
Hello Folks!

What ever happen to Harman Kardon? Back in the day, I thought they were considered top of the line for mid-range Audiophile equipment. Don't hear them mentioned in conversation anymore. Seems they have faded away……

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
10 years ago, they disbanded the Northridge, CA USA R & D audio/video team...
Next they shifted all audio/video projects to Shenzen, China, then the China team did a mild facelift on certain audio products but never released any new audio/video platforms. Instead they concentrated on BT speakers and headphones abandoning component audio/video products. This would have never happened if Dr.Harman was still alive and involved...
But time moves on...:cool:
Next Samsung bought Harman International took the company private to concentrate on OE 12V infotainment systems....

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I still think it sounds weird that Samsung owns the Revel Salon2 and JBL Synthesis Everest DD67000. :D

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I still think it sounds weird that Samsung owns the Revel Salon2 and JBL Synthesis Everest DD67000. :D
Samsung's only interest in the Revel brand is to support the high-end image of the Revel OE 12V infotainment systems sold to Lincoln cars. The original JBL Everest was done for the Japanese domestic hi-fi market, I remember auditioning the prototypes 10 years ago with the JBL chief engineer Greg Timbers who has since retired...
@ that time I had no direct involvement for the development of Everest but was managing other audio/video platforms for Harman International. JBL for loudspeakers and Marantz for electronics, both brands were considered to be originators of high fidelity to the Japanese market.

Just my $0.02... ;)

Boilermaker86

Boilermaker86

Audiophyte
I had a Harman kardon 745 and it had great sound. It had so many quality issues I ended up get an Onkyo 805 instead. But I still wonder what it would be like if I had it or the 7550 receiver. I swear the Harman kardon had something the Onkyo doesn’t have but can’t put my finger on it....

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The 7550HD was a great product, powerful high-current amplifiers, (2) TI DA710 DSPs, had Logic 7 which could overlay Dolby True Audio & DTS HD delivering an incredible 7.1 soundstage. I still have a 7550HD in 1 of my HT systems, that has been running fine for >10 years. What many may not know is that the HK AVR development team also designed AVRs for multiple Onkyo platforms including the 605/805... :cool:

Just my $0.02... ;)

Boilermaker86

Boilermaker86

Audiophyte
The 7550HD was a great product, powerful high-current amplifiers, (2) TI DA710 DSPs, had Logic 7 which could overlay Dolby True Audio & DTS HD delivering an incredible 7.1 soundstage. I still have a 7550HD in 1 of my HT systems, that has been running fine for >10 years. What many may not know is that the HK AVR development team also designed AVRs for multiple Onkyo platforms including the 605/805... :cool:

Just my $0.02... ;)

Explains why I like both!

I was looking for a used 7550 but they do not come on the market often. I was thinking of getting a Marantz 8012 to replace my 805 as my next receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis