Harman Kardon Beats Denon

E

Elvis1977

Audioholic Intern
Well, I have done alot of listening in many modes for both of these receivers. I listened to the Denon 4306 and HK 645 on my JBL setup and compared them very closely. Now, both weight around 41lbs. True, Denon has more features. But for sound QUALITY HK beats Denon especially for music. Home theater surround is close, but still the edge goes to HK. Build quality goes to Denon, but SOUND goes to HK for sure. I really could not believe it myself. Denon 4306 goes for around $2000 and I just bought a HK 645 on clearence for $599. Also, when I cranked up the volume at very high levels the Denon's safety turnned the unit off several times. The HK 645 NEVER turnned off at that same level. I also noticed a warm, very smooth sound from the HK. Denon's sound was also good, but the high's were harsh an not SMOOTH like HK. No question the bass control was better with HK. Both receiver's fans were running continously throughout the high level testing. HK 's manual is terrible, but it makes up for it in SOUND. I can only imagine what the HK 745 would sound like!!

Here is my setup:

JBL e100 (FRONT)
JBL ec35 (CENTER)
JBL E50 (SURROUND)
JBL e250p (12" Sub)

All hooked on audioquest 14 gauge speaker wire.
Ironically, I used a top of the line Denon (dcm390) cd player to compare music and a Sony DVD player for Digital testing.

E

Elvis1977

Audioholic Intern
I just ordered the 745 hk today online for $950. The 645 hk is going back. Can't wait to listen to the system.

E

Elvis1977

Audioholic Intern
What's so funny Seth=L? You don't believe me? I even had several of my friends listen and even blindfolded and they all say Harman Kardon 645 was better!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What's so funny Seth=L? You don't believe me? I even had several of my friends listen and even blindfolded and they all say Harman Kardon 645 was better!
Not laughing at your expense, it was just a funny post.;) No need to be offended, I am not laughing "at" you.

Besides, it doesn't matter if I believe you or not, you are going to do what you believe is best regardless of what others think, at least I hope that would rely on yourself to make decisions.:)

Good luck with all your audio ventures.

E

Elvis1977

Audioholic Intern
No problem steth=L. I must say that even I could not believe the results. I thought for sure the Denon 4306 would kick the pants off the 645, but it clearly did NOT. It is better built, but did not sound better. And sound to me is my first prioity. They both came with a 2 year warranty. You know Denon has come along way over the past decade in technology, but harman/kardon has 50 years of research to back them up.:cool:

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
No problem steth=L. I must say that even I could not believe the results. I thought for sure the Denon 4306 would kick the pants off the 645, but it clearly did NOT. It is better built, but did not sound better. And sound to me is my first prioity. They both came with a 2 year warranty. You know Denon has come along way over the past decade in technology, but harman/kardon has 50 years of research to back them up.:cool:
Im not surprised . in the old days H/K made some pretty good equipment .
Try a Sunfire if you can get your hands on one Vs H/k .
I am surpried that your not taking some flames , there mustbe 40 % of the board that owns Denon .
PS try a Yammy vs the 2 and see what you get ( im a Yammy hater :) , can't stand the amp sections that come with those recievers )

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone for an H/K-Denon-Yamaha blind listening comparo? Mtry? ;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
if I can only hear differences between audio stuff, I'd volunteer myself :)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
if I can only hear differences between audio stuff, I'd volunteer myself :)
Mike, you should never post on this site again clearly your ears are not gold like the rest of us. Although I am special mine are diamond encrusted platinum ;). I hear differences between my gear if I change my socks! Its like a night and day difference when I wear wool socks vs cotton. I mean the wool just builds up so much static electricity on my rug and loads all my speaker cables with EMI. I really need to raise my wires higher and wrap them in ERS paper :rolleyes:.

Quit worrying so much about your receiver and focus on speakers more! I bet blind folded your friends would hear even greater differences between nicer speakers than they did with the receivers.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... Its like a night and day difference when I wear wool socks vs cotton. .
But, this is appropriate, isn't it, Night listening with wool socks, keeps it nice and warm.:D
And, cotton in the day, nice and breezy, transparent sort of, right? Who can deny it?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Quit worrying so much about your receiver and focus on speakers more! I bet blind folded your friends would hear even greater differences between nicer speakers than they did with the receivers.
I heavily agree with this statement. Even your current receiver outclasses the JBL speakers you have. I would look at Boston Acoustics VR series before they sell out everywhere as well as any other speakers you get a chance to audition. Start putting money up for speakers and a subwoofer, you will thank yourself in the long run.

N

naisphoo

Banned
No Sony please.:D
I'd rather have Sony building receivers than M$ with their crappy manufacturing practices...33% failure. Gotta love those 360 xbox. Wait I just realize why they are called 360...because they always need to come back to M$ for repairs thus making a 360 degree turn. Here's another thread being hijacked...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike, you should never post on this site again clearly your ears are not gold like the rest of us. Although I am special mine are diamond encrusted platinum ;). I hear differences between my gear if I change my socks! Its like a night and day difference when I wear wool socks vs cotton. I mean the wool just builds up so much static electricity on my rug and loads all my speaker cables with EMI. I really need to raise my wires higher and wrap them in ERS paper :rolleyes:.

problem is, I can barely hear speaker differences.
:eek:

maybe I should stick with subs. :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis