Harman Kardon AVR 335

B

BostonJ

Audiophyte
I have the Bose 701 speakers, which comes w/ built-in subwoofer. Do I still need a separate subwoofer to setup my surround system. I just saw that Cambridge Sound Works, uses the new Newton series w/o a subwoofer because the subwoofer is built into the speakers. Please advise !!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
BostonJ said:
I have the Bose 701 speakers, which comes w/ built-in subwoofer. Do I still need a separate subwoofer to setup my surround system. I just saw that Cambridge Sound Works, uses the new Newton series w/o a subwoofer because the subwoofer is built into the speakers. Please advise !!
You do not need a separate subwoofer with a built in sub in your speakers. Just make sure to get them placed in or near a corner. I demo'd a set of Def Tech's today with built in powered 10" side firing woofers today. I was not impressed, but they did have more bass than my Polk RTi10's. Just no where near the bass with my XSUB. There's just no substitute for a dedicated 12" sub IMO. You may not need all that bass depending on your listening preferences and room size. Is this the set?
www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=ht_package&item=k1pk547zz

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BostonJ said:

I am just not sold on subs built into regular speakers, especially if you want powerfull lows. There is nothing like a good stand alone sub.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
If memory serves me correctly the 701's do not have built in subwoofers. If this is the model I remember it has an 8" driver in the internal lower part of the cabinet. This is not a sub. Just a woofer to handle the lows. If there is no seperate input for the bass section then its just a regular speaker. The 701's are a 2 1/2 or 3 way floorstanding speaker with the direct / reflecting design.

The CSW units you are referrring to have powered subwoofers with there own amps and seperate inputs to except the sub feed from a receiver.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Buckeyefan 1 said:
You do not need a separate subwoofer with a built in sub in your speakers. Just make sure to get them placed in or near a corner. I demo'd a set of Def Tech's today with built in powered 10" side firing woofers today. I was not impressed, but they did have more bass than my Polk RTi10's. Just no where near the bass with my XSUB. There's just no substitute for a dedicated 12" sub IMO. You may not need all that bass depending on your listening preferences and room size. Is this the set?
www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=ht_package&item=k1pk547zz

Hi Buckeyefan1,

would like to hear more about the Def Tech speakers, because I'm seriously considering to buy them in the future. I got surprised for your comments when you say that they didn't impress you.
As a matter of fact I haven't got the opportunity, so far, to listen to them, but according to several reviews, etc, they seem to be among the top 3 best bets in the market. Please correct me if I'm wrong

By the way, it would be fantastic to see an Audioholics review on Def Tech speakers soon...

Any comments will be most welcome.

Regards.
Avliner

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
avliner said:
Hi Buckeyefan1,

would like to hear more about the Def Tech speakers, because I'm seriously considering to buy them in the future. I got surprised for your comments when you say that they didn't impress you.
As a matter of fact I haven't got the opportunity, so far, to listen to them, but according to several reviews, etc, they seem to be among the top 3 best bets in the market. Please correct me if I'm wrong

By the way, it would be fantastic to see an Audioholics review on Def Tech speakers soon...

Any comments will be most welcome.

Regards.
Avliner
I met with Dave from Absolute Theater and demo'd his setup which consisted of a Pioneer Elite 54 (an absolute monster) and a 5.1 set of Def Tech bipolar towers with 10" side firing subs, bi polar surrounds, and a center. It was a very nice set up with a Pioneer Elite Plasma. They have some cash in this place. Check out the rooms/website.
www.absolutetheater.com/people.asp

In a nutshell, what I found missing from the HT demo (I did not demo music, only an Apollo 13 DVD which they were obviously proud of) was the lower bass you can feel, and a major lack of vocals from the midrange in the towers and center channel. The highs weren't bright, but harsh. The system was playing to it's best capability. Any louder and it would have been uncomfortable. It could have been the Elite receiver, but somehow I doubt it. I also was expecting great things from these towers, from what I've read. It wasn't there. And to have the president demo it, you know he had the receiver set properly, as well as the best dvd track in the place. I'd recommend to skip the powered subs and most definitely demo these speakers before you buy. I have a new appreciation for my Denon/Polk setup.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Buckeyefan,

thanks a lot for the inputs. Felt you also a bit disappointed with the Def Tech performance...

By the way, I was scrolling down the VANS site and I've found something that seems to be a hidden jewel; i.e., they're selling a high-end AV from JVC, which is THX ULTRA 2 certified. Model is RX - DP 15B, @ only $ 1,300, brand new, in a factory sealed box!!

Do you have any comments on that gear??
Believe this monster should be way ahead of Denon 3805, for what it offers.

Regards.
Avliner

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Avliner with all due respect could you start your own thread or PM Buck instead of hi jacking a thread and taking it off topic.

Its starting to happen more often here and its getting annoying when your trying to follow a thread.

As I stated above I mean no disrespect. Just wanted to point this out. ;) :) :)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Dear anamorphic96,

thanks for your comments, but there should be a misunderstanding (maybe from my side). If you scroll down this entire forum, you'll find a lot of - as you said -hi jacked threads and what that really means?

It means that you felt interest over a certain subject and you're just posting your comments, or asking for some advice.

That's what happened now, when buckeyfan posted a comment about Def Tech speakers, so I felt myself in the right of "hi jacking" his comments for "highlighting" purposes of an specific subject, then I posted my questions, because it sounded very important to me.

In other hand, I must admit that not only you and me, but probably everybody feels a bit annoyed to follow up some threads the way they are being posted.

Yours and anybody else's comments will be most appreciated.

Regards.
Avliner

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
It just seems lately it has been happening alot at this site and it didnt seem to happen nearly as much as it is now. It just seems to me people should PM the person when things go off topic.

I think that extra shot of espresso really got me wired this morning. Sorry about that. I have a habit of ranting when its not needed sometimes. :rolleyes: :)

Cheers

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Good morning Anamorphics,

thanks for your reply.
From now on, whenever an off topic subject of my interest arises, I'll PM directly to sender, thus contributing to avoid diverting from the original point.

Regarding to the expresso, just keep enjoying it! I do that myself either.

Regards and have a nice week end!
Avliner

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis