Harman Kardon Adapt - Can't add Bluetooth to a wired system

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Hi, my reciever has no bluetooth (RXV373), so I bought a Harman Kardon Adapt bluetooth adapter.
Now I need to find a way to connect it to my reciever.
It has an input of Audio Out, Mic In or Audio In.
I thought I'll use RCA cables, in this way :
White and red connect to my reciever Audio input in the back, and white OR red ( since the adapter has only 1 "Audio Out" connection), to the adapter. All it does is loud white noise, nothing else. And the adapter is connected to my phone and seems to be streaming, but the sound doesn't go to the reciever.

If I connect the red or white RCA end to the adapter, the said noise comes out of the right or left stereo speaker.

I know I am supposed to connect both red and white to the adapter, but it has only one input for Audio Out.

The Harman and Kadron Adapt manual doesn't help.
How do I connect this to my reciever to stream sound??

EDIT: I used an Aux cable and connected the adapter to the reciever's front aux connection.
Now it works, but the sound quality doesn't compare to when I connect the phone to my smart TV via bluetooth (TV is connected to reciever via HDMI ARC).

So. Is the cheap aux cable degrading the quality of sound? Is there an alternative cable connection to connect this bluetooth adapter, that has only one audio out connection, to my reciever? Some other high quality cable that isn't aux ( or just a better aux)?

Attachments

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Bluetooth isn't a good wireless standard in that audio doesn't work all that well or quality is degraded.

This is very much in association with the version of bluetooth you are using. If that harmon adapter is old, chances are it doesn't support the newer higher bandwidth standards which means audio quality is going to suck. AUX cable might be part of the problem, but just a small part.

Is it just bluetooth compatibility specifically that you're looking for? Are you just trying to play music from your phone?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The best way to do audio from your phone to your receiver is to use a wired connection if possible. If you can't do a wired connection, and really want Bluetooth, make sure the volume is turned up on your phone.

Yes, it's possible that you are using a cruddy 3.5mm stereo cable between the Harmon Kardon Adapt unit and your receiver.

You can always use a different Bluetooth receiver and see if it is of higher quality...

Just using a product with full RCA Left/Right audio outputs is a good place to start.

If you really want better audio quality, then it would be best to use a product which is designed for audio streaming at better quality to begin with. There are a ton of products out there which can stream directly to your receiver. Even using video streaming products offers the chance for you to stream from various audio services directly into your home theater system. It bypasses Bluetooth, and may not be quite as convenient, but the quality should be a good deal better.

S

Sanyobusiness

Audioholic Intern
Hi, my reciever has no bluetooth (RXV373), so I bought a Harman Kardon Adapt bluetooth adapter.
Now I need to find a way to connect it to my reciever.
It has an input of Audio Out, Mic In or Audio In.
I thought I'll use RCA cables, in this way :
White and red connect to my reciever Audio input in the back, and white OR red ( since the adapter has only 1 "Audio Out" connection), to the adapter. All it does is loud white noise, nothing else. And the adapter is connected to my phone and seems to be streaming, but the sound doesn't go to the reciever.

If I connect the red or white RCA end to the adapter, the said noise comes out of the right or left stereo speaker.

I know I am supposed to connect both red and white to the adapter, but it has only one input for Audio Out.

The Harman and Kadron Adapt manual doesn't help.
How do I connect this to my reciever to stream sound??

EDIT: I used an Aux cable and connected the adapter to the reciever's front aux connection.
Now it works, but the sound quality doesn't compare to when I connect the phone to my smart TV via bluetooth (TV is connected to reciever via HDMI ARC).

So. Is the cheap aux cable degrading the quality of sound? Is there an alternative cable connection to connect this bluetooth adapter, that has only one audio out connection, to my reciever? Some other high quality cable that isn't aux ( or just a better aux)?
Assuming you have the connections correct, I think there is something wrong with the cord, or perhaps in the bluetooth receiver itself. I have a record player setup in my basement that I wanted to add bluetooth, and I got an off brand simple add on bluetooth receiver with good reviews from Amazon and it works great for my purposes. Has rca connectons that connect to my aux inputs with no problems. Double check that the 3.5mm jack is plugged all the way in, and not connected to a phono input if your receiver has one. I wouldn't worry about getting expensive cords. They're a waste, especially with bluetooth receivers.

You're using a cord like this, right?

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Assuming you have the connections correct, I think there is something wrong with the cord, or perhaps in the bluetooth receiver itself. I have a record player setup in my basement that I wanted to add bluetooth, and I got an off brand simple add on bluetooth receiver with good reviews from Amazon and it works great for my purposes. Has rca connectons that connect to my aux inputs with no problems. Double check that the 3.5mm jack is plugged all the way in, and not connected to a phono input if your receiver has one. I wouldn't worry about getting expensive cords. They're a waste, especially with bluetooth receivers.

You're using a cord like this, right?

Exactly, no. Because my BT adapter apparently only has one aux output, and no RCA (therefore no right/left) connection.
I suppose I can use an aux to RCA connection type, but wouldn't it reduce sound quality since it's more stages on the way or some poop?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly, no. Because my BT adapter apparently only has one aux output, and no RCA (therefore no right/left) connection.
I suppose I can use an aux to RCA connection type, but wouldn't it reduce sound quality since it's more stages on the way or some poop?
Nah, use a stereo 3.5mm (probably TRS) to stereo rca adapter cable and don't worry about it. It's just BT anyways :)

S

Sanyobusiness

Audioholic Intern
Nah, use a stereo 3.5mm (probably TRS) to stereo rca adapter cable and don't worry about it. It's just BT anyways :)
Exactly… @Gil111000 if all you’re after is decent sound, you should be able to get that from a 3.5 to rca cord, available on amazon for a couple dollars/euros. From what it sounds like you are doing (attempting to plug an rca red or white into that hole) just won’t work.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis