Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I am having major handshake issues with Directv, my Samsung tvthe Denon 4500.

if I turn the tv on I get sound from the television speaker. If I change the channel, the receiver comes on.
If I watch Netflix I can no longer see an icon or input to take me to Directv.
I don’t want to be forced to have the stereo on to watch tv.
What is the best way to check my connections for optimal playback?
Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yes, I am. I just purchased a Harmony remote and hub, will this make things easier?
Yes IMO turning off ARC and eliminating HDMI Control issues and using the macros in the Harmony is a much better way to go....what I did a long time ago.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
And you use the TV’s built in apps for streaming content?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you don’t want the receiver to turn on and switch inputs on you, you will need to turn HDMI Control off. This means losing ARC. It is not a big loss as the Samsung TV does not support Dolby Atmos via ARC. It supports Dolby Digital + but you will not hear a difference if you connect an optical cable and stream in Dolby Digital 5.1. The Denon’s optical input #1 is set to the TV input by default. The standby passthrough feature is assigned to the #1 HDMI input by default. You can reassign it if your Directv box is connected to another input. Make sure to turn the feature on in the Denon settings. I believe you will have to go into the TV’s Quick Settings and switch the Sound Output to TV Speakers from Optical Output to play the audio from the Directv box while the Denon is off. I hope you work it out.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Ok , took me a few days to get back on this.
I currently have Directv box plugged into the#1 on the Denon:
AC2939A3-B266-4120-8428-7409E0B184A6.jpeg

I have the tv plugged into the monitor2 hdmi port.
I installed an optical audio cable from the tv to the Denon. these are the settings on the Denon and the tv. I still cannot get sound out of the Denon if I watch Netflix etc. through the television app.
I once had it setup so that when I input Netflix on the tv It would play on the Denon, or I would settle for using the tv audio button on the Denon.

and tv
2056F3D6-42E4-4ACD-A8E8-4BC5AEC80582.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are your audio settings in the tv? You checked input assignment for the optical for the input you're using on the avr?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI Control and ARC do not work if the TV is connected to the Monitor2 output. Connect the TV to the Monitor1 output. Then, on your TV, bring up your Smart Home menu. Go to your sources. It may show HDMI 3 or Denon. Move over that selection and an arrow will appear above it. Press up, the top of the circle on the remote control, and it will bring up some options. The top selection will be Anynet+(HDMI-CEC). Click on it and then click on refresh devices so the TV can figure out which devices are connected and using HDMI Control. Have you ever run the Universal Remote control function on your TV. It works in conjunction with Anynet+. When it works properly, it's a thing of beauty and all you need for basic watching and switching of devices is the TV remote control. Though, I think you said you have a Harmony remote control.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
HDMI Control and ARC do not work if the TV is connected to the Monitor2 output. Connect the TV to the Monitor1 output. Then, on your TV, bring up your Smart Home menu. Go to your sources. It may show HDMI 3 or Denon. Move over that selection and an arrow will appear above it. Press up, the top of the circle on the remote control, and it will bring up some options. The top selection will be Anynet+(HDMI-CEC). Click on it and then click on refresh devices so the TV can figure out which devices are connected and using HDMI Control. Have you ever run the Universal Remote control function on your TV. It works in conjunction with Anynet+. When it works properly, it's a thing of beauty and all you need for basic watching and switching of devices is the TV remote control. Though, I think you said you have a Harmony remote control.
First, thanks for your help.

I tried everything I can think of but after playing with this for hours, I cannot figure out how to get the smart menu to display. I will call Denon C/S in the morning.
I mean really? There is not a button that says Smart Menu???

what is #3 mean?
17354335-43C0-4C3E-B1C8-9C1CEFD7798D.jpg

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m sorry, catch me up. What do you mean by “Smart Menu?”

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you are watching one of the apps built into the TV, you cannot display the Denon setup menus over it. To see the Denon menus, press the Home button on the TV remote control to bring up the Smart hub. Toggle left to the Source tile. Your external devices should come up. You should see one for HDMI 3. Click on it. Now, bring up the menus on the Denon. They should appear on the screen.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, it is kinda’ saying what I was trying get across. If you check your connected devices by using the procedure in my previous post, your Denon should come up as AV Receiver instead of HDMI 3 if HDMI CEC and ARC are enabled. Can you possibly get a pic of your Smart hub while Source tile is selected?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
If you are watching one of the apps built into the TV, you cannot display the Denon setup menus over it. To see the Denon menus, press the Home button on the TV remote control to bring up the Smart hub. Toggle left to the Source tile. Your external devices should come up. You should see one for HDMI 3. Click on it. Now, bring up the menus on the Denon. They should appear on the screen.
Mission accomplished! That you sir!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis