Hair dryer to fix power supply

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Anyone else try this? Had a pc that would not turn on, just a blinking green light on the power supply. I heard a trick is to turn a hair dryer on high and blow it through the supply, well I gave it a shot and it worked, WHAT HOW?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

Maybe forcing air through your PSU unstuck a fan that was tripping some sort of protection and throwing a POST error?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I have a spare laying around, figured I'd give it a shot. It kicked on almost immediately (how to' says a minute or so) I'm going with stuck fan or dust bunny...and some witchcraft of course. I'll be curious to see how long it lasts. I know the solder joints can def go bad and that was one of my first guesses, but the blow dryer wasn't on long enough to make anything remotely warm.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe forcing air through your PSU unstuck a fan that was tripping some sort of protection and throwing a POST error?
That was my thought, some of the fans have more than two wires, which usually means there is a means to detect whether or not the fan spins. I had a lenovo laptop which needed a blow job every now and then to keep it happy. A high powered processor in the tight confines of a laptop will cook fairly quickly without the fan, so it was a pretty nice check to protect the CPU!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis