R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
I'm looking for some help in making a decision, and would appreciate any thoughts/input...

I sold my H/K 3550HD to upgrade my receiver...I've ruled Onkyo out, because I know they run hot, and my top space for ventilation is limited...I'm looking at the H/K 3600 or Denon 3310...I love the H/K sound, but I know their EZset/EQ is not highly regarded...I've read alot about Audyssey MultiEQ, and alot of people like it, and some don't...So, not sure what to do? The Denon is $300 more...My 5.1 system consists of Ascend Sierra 1's across the front, Ascend CBM-170's surround, and Rhythmik 15" sub

I also have an H/K PA2000 2-channel amp for the mains...But, i'm thinking about maybe getting an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5 sometime in the future...Need to settle on a receiver first

Thanks

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Neither, both of those receivers are terrible.:D

I'm just kidding of course. I'd probably go for the Denon myself, however it's really down to what features they have and how much you are willing to pay for those features that matters.

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
lol thanks Seth...I guess i'm just wondering if Audyssey MultEq is worth it or not, plus dynamic eq etc

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
lol thanks Seth...I guess i'm just wondering if Audyssey MultEq is worth it or not, plus dynamic eq etc
This is the part where I am no help at all. I've always done calibration manually.

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
Well I appreciate your posting, hard to get much help on the forums anymore...AVS was no help whatsoever, as usual

E

edmcanuck

Audioholic
Yes, Audyssey is worth it... very worth it. IMHO, Denon also has the advantage that it'll last more than 6 months before requiring repair; I've yet to see the HK that can say that. Denon's a lot prettier too, it aesthetics are any part of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
I really wanted the Onkyo 1007, but the manual says it needs 8" of clearance for the top

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I really wanted the Onkyo 1007, but the manual says it needs 8" of clearance for the top
I am not sure what the Denon manual says but they can run quite warm as well. It is important that you give it enough room to ventilate. For a few dolllars more I think the 4310 is a much better deal than the 3310. By the way, don't worry about the HK sound, HK AVR sound are only visible but not audible anyway so if you can get used to not seeing it you should be fine..:D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002UEKZNQ/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270328507&sr=1-2&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002AKKFQ2/ref=dp_olp_new_map?ie=UTF8&qid=1270328776&sr=1-1&condition=new

olblueyez

olblueyez

Audiophyte
I have an AVR 240 from HK that is about 5 years old now, works great. In the looks department HK is the winner, no contest. The newer units are dark grey and black as apposed to the silver and black units from a few years ago.

The HK will sound better too. No one does amplification as well as HK in any given price bracket.

No contest, HK ;)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm looking for some help in making a decision, and would appreciate any thoughts/input...

I sold my H/K 3550HD to upgrade my receiver...I've ruled Onkyo out, because I know they run hot, and my top space for ventilation is limited...I'm looking at the H/K 3600 or Denon 3310...I love the H/K sound, but I know their EZset/EQ is not highly regarded...I've read alot about Audyssey MultiEQ, and alot of people like it, and some don't...So, not sure what to do? The Denon is $300 more...My 5.1 system consists of Ascend Sierra 1's across the front, Ascend CBM-170's surround, and Rhythmik 15" sub

I also have an H/K PA2000 2-channel amp for the mains...But, i'm thinking about maybe getting an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5 sometime in the future...Need to settle on a receiver first

Thanks
This is just one person's advice/thoughts, but if you were my friend, I'd probably talk you into getting a higher end receiver (assuming the 3310 may be weaker in the amp dept), instead of getting the XPA3/5. The 170SE are pretty easy to drive, and while the Sierras might want more power than 170s, my guess is that a higher end Denon should be able to drive those just fine. BTW, nice speaker choices.

You won't know if MultEQ is worth it until you've tried it. IMO, it is easily worth $300 all on its own. However, if you go up the chain with Denon, forgoing the outboard amp, you can obtain the better EQ with the XT version for a multiplication of your filter resolution for the satellites.

I've never tried Dyn vol/eq, but I would love to. Even rmk gives them the thumbs up, and I bet there are few to none here that can drive a system as loudly . . . yet he still finds the techs beneficial . . .

The HK will sound better too. No one does amplification as well as HK in any given price bracket.

No contest, HK ;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, Audyssey is worth it... very worth it. IMHO, Denon also has the advantage that it'll last more than 6 months before requiring repair; I've yet to see the HK that can say that. Denon's a lot prettier too, it aesthetics are any part of things.
Sounds like a bunch of nonsense. AS is overrated IMO. My HK has never required repair.

That being said I think Onkyo probably offers the best bang for buck. Denon and Marantz are the same company so if you want one of their receivers see accessories4less.com. The prices on Marantz and Onkyo are the best on the web for a reliable shipper.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
I am not sure what the Denon manual says but they can run quite warm as well. It is important that you give it enough room to ventilate. For a few dolllars more I think the 4310 is a much better deal than the 3310. By the way, don't worry about the HK sound, HK AVR sound are only visible but not audible anyway so if you can get used to not seeing it you should be fine..:D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002UEKZNQ/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270328507&sr=1-2&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002AKKFQ2/ref=dp_olp_new_map?ie=UTF8&qid=1270328776&sr=1-1&condition=new
Those companies selling the 4310 at the link you provided are not authorized dealers, so no warranty...I can get the 3310 for $999 from an authorized dealer, and the 4310 is $1599

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
Sounds like a bunch of nonsense. AS is overrated IMO. My HK has never required repair.

That being said I think Onkyo probably offers the best bang for buck. Denon and Marantz are the same company so if you want one of their receivers see accessories4less.com. The prices on Marantz and Onkyo are the best on the web for a reliable shipper.
I agree about Onkyo offering best bang for the buck...As I said before, I wanted the Onkyo 1007, but they recommend 8" of clearance on the top, and it will barely fit in my rack, with about an inch of clearance on the top

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Those companies selling the 4310 at the link you provided are not authorized dealers, so no warranty...I can get the 3310 for $999 from an authorized dealer, and the 4310 is $1599
Well that's too bad, the 4310 has just about everything most people need and has a nice prepro section offering great audio and video quality. You can consider the Onkyo if you are willing to hook up an external fan. Otherwise I still think even the 3310 is a better choice than the HK AVR-3600.

Edit: I suggested you go up to the 4310 because I think on the audio side such as power output, the 3310 is more like a lateral move from the HK you sold.

Last edited:
R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
Thanks for posting Peng...Unfortunately, with the 4310 being $500 more, I wont be able to do that...I still have my H/K PA2000 2-channel amp I can use, though

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned both HK & Denon.

I like them both in every department.

In Direct Mode (no EQs whatsoever), they both sound exactly the same.

I've used the Room EQs on both.

The HK's Room EQ really sucks. It made the sound terrible.

The Denon's Room EQ did not do anything for me, but it did not make the sound worse.

Aesthetics is, of course, purely subjective.

I think it comes down to features and personal preference.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I have just 2" of ventolation above my Onkyo and have not had any problems at all with heat. My TV puts out a lot more heat than the Onkyo does.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis