H/K 6 channel inputs

B

bobman1235

Audioholic Intern
So I'm listening to an SACD last night, and it seems to me like the left channel is WAY louder than the right. Funny, never noticed that this song was mastered like that, so I throw in another SACD - same thing.

So then I set up my player (a Pioneer 578) to read the CD portion of the SACD, so that I can use the digital signal and compare. Sure enough, sounds great via digital, and lopsided via the 6ch analogues.

So I spent the next hour convincing myself that it is NOT the cables (basically by switching back and forth), and it's not the DVD player because it always followed that channel not matter how I wired it up. Then I hooked just the L and R to the CD input (rather than the "6 ch direct") and that ALSO works fine.

So it seems like the only explanation is that it's the front right input of my 6ch input (it's an H/K 525) that's off somehow. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing happening before? Any suggestions aside from trying to get it serviced (ie things to look for)?

I'm majorly bummed here.

Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure about H/K, but alot of receivers, like my Onkyo require you to calibrate the multi-channel input separately from the rest of the inputs. Maybe the channel trim for the Left channel is much higher than the others for the multi-channel input?

Also, most dvd-a/sacd players have their own controls for bass management, time alignment, and channel levels. Maybe you could try to zero out those controls on the player itself and calibrate the multi-channel input on the receiver.

B

bobman1235

Audioholic Intern
Anonymous said:
Not sure about H/K, but alot of receivers, like my Onkyo require you to calibrate the multi-channel input separately from the rest of the inputs. Maybe the channel trim for the Left channel is much higher than the others for the multi-channel input?

Also, most dvd-a/sacd players have their own controls for bass management, time alignment, and channel levels. Maybe you could try to zero out those controls on the player itself and calibrate the multi-channel input on the receiver.
Supposedly the multichannel inputs on teh H/K have no controls at all. I'm using the "direct" settings. Even the balance knob on the front has no effect.

I gotta keep digging through settings, maybe there is something, but I'm pretty sure that setting bypasses all processing in the receiver.

Like I said, I ruled out the DVD player because it followed the receiver input, even when I swapped player outputs.

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
I'm 99% sure that I have to set the levels on my HK recvr for the 6-ch input and that they do exist for this input. Get out your trusty spl meter and start up the test tone while on the 6-ch input and I think you will see level adjustments.

B

bobman1235

Audioholic Intern
Lincoln said:
I'm 99% sure that I have to set the levels on my HK recvr for the 6-ch input and that they do exist for this input. Get out your trusty spl meter and start up the test tone while on the 6-ch input and I think you will see level adjustments.
You were right. Thanks to everyone who said that enough to make me keep trying and finally find out how to set it up. YOu'd think they'd mention that kind of thing in the manual!

I'm psyched, soundin great now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis