GUTZ! Post your favorite amplifier and receiver inards

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This thread is dedicated to all those who enjoy looking at what's under the hood of their gear. Post pictures of amplifiers/receivers that you have, or ones you wish you had.

Niles SI-275. Rated 75 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms, and runs cool all the time. Stable down below 3 ohms. It's got 40,000uF total capacitance and a decent size toroidal power supply to give her all the power she needs. I like the clean layout.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
XPA-5 innards

Great idea for a thread Seth=L!

Here's some shots of my XPA-5. This thing weighs like 75 lbs. Overall it has a great internal layout. I'm running it in 3ch mode (250 wpc @ 8ohm). So far it has hardly gotten warm to the touch. 60k uF of capacitance. This plus the caps in the 1015 gives me 90k uF of capacitance.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Cinepro 3K6

Here is a few shots of my 3k6. Did have some upgrades done to it in the last years. Also changed it to 220 volts. Runs a lot cooler now. Before you could grill a steak on it. Added new fanpack, detachable powercord. Updated output boads, new gold bindingposts and a few more things. Original output was 350 wattsX6 into 8 ohms.Now it puts out a little over 400 watts. If had this amp for 10 years and it has served me well. Top picture is before updates.

View attachment 7398

View attachment 7399

View attachment 7400

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a few shots of my 3k6. Did have some upgrades done to it in the last years. Also changed it to 220 volts. Runs a lot cooler now. Before you could grill a steak on it. Added new fanpack, detachable powercord. Updated output boads, new gold bindingposts and a few more things. Original output was 350 wattsX6 into 8 ohms.Now it puts out a little over 400 watts. If had this amp for 10 years and it has served me well. Top picture is before updates.

View attachment 7398

View attachment 7399

View attachment 7400
Did you do the updates yourself? It looks like a totally different amplifier.:D

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
I also have an XPA-5 - Thanks to croseiv for posting, that thing is just too ________ heavy to move.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
[
QUOTE=croseiv;585705]Yeah, I have really been enjoying mine! It's a lovely beast.
[/QUOTE]
That is some nice looking amp. Clean set-up. New technology that's for sure.

Last edited:
M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I have five outboard amps from B&K to Adcom, but my favorite is an an oldie but goodie. The Harmon Kardon Citation 19 amp - used in my two channel stereo setup hooked up to my Denon 4802R (preamp) and driving my AV123 Strata Mini's

and the inside which has four caps in it which are each the size of a 12 oz coke can. After I shut off the power, it still drives the speakers for 20 seconds.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That's a beastly amplifier. Dual mono is gravy and it's got some rigid construstion to it.:D Do you know the uF(microfarad) rating on those capacitors?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Seth, sorry I don't, all I know is that it gives a warm sound that drives my Stratas to insane levels and the closest sound I can compare it to is tube amp warmth. I have used it to drive my center channel in bridged mode on my main HT, but decided that an amp like this needs music....I do miss the sound it gave me on HT applications, but have my Harmon Kardon 2200 in bridged mode driving my center (DefTech LCR2002) at 200 watts. I would love to get another one, but finding one is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I actually bought this one at a pawn shop for 80.00 (suckers) :D

Here are the only specs I could find on this amp.

Audio Inputs : 1 stereo pair
Power Output : 100 watts per channel @ 8 ohms
Total Harmonic Distortion : 0.08% @ 8 ohms
Frequency Response : 5Hz - 140kHz -3dB
Slew Rate : > 40 volts/microsecond
Rise Time : better than 2 microseconds
Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM) : < 0.08%
Damping Factor : > 125:1
Signal-to-Noise Ratio : CD, VIDEO, etc - 95dB
Input Level/Impedance : CD, VIDEO, etc - 200mv/32k ohms

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Anything else? The output transistors and op-amps made and serial # perhaps?

Cap ratings plz!:D

The wrap on that cap cuts off the top half of the microfarad rating (CURSE YOU GUY THAT WRAPS CAPACITORS, CURSE YOU!!!!!!).
Well Seth=L, they are pretty small, only 15,000uFD x 2, 71Volt. :(
But the transformer is big then. :D

* From now on, I will always specify the microfarad rating of the primary capacitors.
And when approprietely requested, I will also enumerate the Dac(s) make and serial number(s). :)

Bob

P.S. Hey Seth, would you like to see some internal & external pictures of your Yamaha RX-V3800? You do own it, do you?

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Information on the Harman Kardon Citation Nineteen (19) stereo power amplifier.

Ok Matthew and Seth=L, here's some more info for you guys on the Harman Kardon Citation model 19, stereo power amp.

The Citation 19 was made in 1976, and was available in 1976 and 1977.
At that time, the retail price was $495.00
It weighted 39 lbs net.

The 4 caps were rated at 5,600uF or 10,000uF maximum each.
* I could not find the definitive rating number of microfarad.
But these big capacitors were pretty bad, in the way that they were drying quite fast. So, they have to be replaced sooner than other caps.
Well, on those years, caps were drying faster, if they were not the top brands.

The output transistors were Mosfet design, if I recall (I think that there was eight per channel). And I believe they were Toshiba make.

And according to several people, the Citation model 19, and other similar Citation models of that era, were good sounding power amps.

That's it. :)

Bob

Note: By the way Seth=L, you did ask me before about the Dacs in the Yamaha RX-V3800 A/V receiver, if I recall correctly.
So, I deducted that you probably own that receiver?
Anyway, here's some pictures (internal and external) of that very receiver, the RX-V3800 from Yamaha.

* http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2007/Yamaha_RX-V3800_01.shtml

Oh, and before I forget, the two primary caps (inside the 3800) are rated at 15,000uF each, and are 71Volt,
same as in my Onkyo TX-SR805.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis